My New Hair System Experience - - -

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Following the advice on here, I went down to a salon in London a couple of months ago for a consultation (I believe there are rules against publicly naming the salon I went to, but I’d be happy to respond to private messages). The chap I dealt with had absolutely no interest in tying me down to a subscription or a hair club-type model, which came as both a surprise and a relief as I wished to go DIY after getting my first system.

I went back a few weeks later to have my system fitted. The whole process took around two hours, the worst part of which was having what was left of my good hair shaved back to leave a hideously unattractive ring of hair. Walker Max Sport scalp protector was applied along with two coats of Ghost Bond Supreme, then the thin skin system was stuck down.

The barber thinned it out and styled it, leaving a perfectly colour-matched mane of hair. I was surprised at just how much hair there was at first and felt that maybe it was a little thick, but I think this was more down to the comparison of going from almost completely bald to hairy.

I barely felt like I was wearing the system, only really feeling it at the hairline which had a similar feeling to when one applies too much hairspray that’s gone onto the forehead. I was paranoid at first, and constantly looked at other people as I made my way home. It quickly became apparent though that nobody was giving my new hair a second glance, as there was nothing unusual or wiggy about it.

My family have all reacted extremely positively, remarking that it’s taken years off of me. They also said that they got used to seeing me with hair surprisingly quickly, after only a day or so. I’ve shown it to a few friends so far, and they’ve similarly been amazed at the transformation. They admitted that they thought it would look awful, but were happy to say that it looks completely normal.

If I’d gone DIY myself from the beginning, I’d probably have started with a lower density and more mature hairline, but being blessed with a relatively young face seems to have worked in my favour with a thicker density and hairline. People I was expecting to take the piss have instead been taken aback by how much the new hair improves my appearance, which makes the whole thing worthwhile.

In terms of problems, they’ve been quite minor so far. The front hairline began to slightly lift within a day, but I fixed this by applying some Ghost Bond Supreme with a coffee stirrer, letting it dry then sticking it back down. I’ve stopped obsessing so much about the hairline now as I keep it covered, and subsequent lifts have been minor. I can feel the system has lifted around the back and sides. I’ve not bothered to fix these as they’re completely covered by hair. Detectability would be a serious issue if, say, a partner who was unaware were to run their hands through my hair, but I don’t like people touching me so this isn’t a problem. I plan to try tape when I reattach. Although there’s a risk of tearing the base, it looks like lots of people still manage to use it on skin systems, so I’m going to give the Walker Max Hold Minis a try.

The main problem I have is that, as an active person, I can feel sweat form underneath the system when I’m working out that stays for hours until it eventually dries. For this reason, I’m going to order a French lace system from Curtis at MHE to use as a second system. Once I have two reliable systems in place, I plan to order a custom piece from a mail order firm.

I’m coming up to two weeks of attachment, but I’m hoping to go around three weeks before I take it off to clean. I’ll get my brother to make a template when I remove it for the first time (sadly the salon doesn’t do templates) so I can order a custom-cut piece from Curtis.

My current maintenance routine so far is to let the shower water run through my hair system after I work out every couple of days, and to only shampoo my natural hair. I’ve got some shampoo for kids (which is sulphate free and much cheaper than the adult versions) that I use on the system once per week. I also use Schwarzkopf Gliss spray-on leave-in conditioner which I use virtually daily before my morning brush. I use a wide tooth comb and detangling brush to comb through the conditioner and style my hair.

Sorry this post was so long, but I just wanted to finish off with a massive thanks to all of you who have posted your experiences and advice on here, and especially to Noah and BaldBearded who PMd me some seriously valuable information. My transition into a hair wearer wouldn’t have been anywhere near as positive without all of the advice you guys have given.

I’ll post further updates after I’ve reattached for the first time, and after I get my new French lace system.