My nape hair is balding!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I wear alot of hoodie zip up style jackets with the hood hanging down the back. Recently I decided to grow my hair a little longer and noticed that at the end of everyday there is around 150 hairs in my hood. Normally I dont notice shedding hairs but this is just ridiculous! Anyway I was getting really concerned to where these hairs were coming from and managed to narrow it down to my nape hair which is the hair just below the donor region and merges onto your neck. Last night as I sat down and watched tv I just kept gently tuggling on the hair on the back of my head and every time I was able to get between 3-4 hairs. I continued to do it and I got at least 50-100 hairs in one sitting. (This has been going on for at least 2months now) Its really concerning. I can see why these hairs are unreliable in hair transplant surgery.

Anyway my nape has become very sparse lately. Im glad its not coming out that easily from hairline, coz if it was id REALLY be screwed!

Sean68

Reaction score
'who's that girl in you avatar' mhd?

...(sorry for the lack of any actual male pattern baldness advice) ive got loads of nape hair. ill happily send you some - im kind of an off blonde.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed that this was happening to me as well. I noticed about 2 years ago, while I didn't notice the shedding (I wasn't looking for it), I did notice that my nape hairs had thinned a lot, and even the hairs just above as well. At one point one side was even thinner than the other! Anyway, since then it has got better, and I'm fairly sure that what happened to me was a result of stress. Maybe it's the same for you?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
chino20 said:
I noticed that this was happening to me as well. I noticed about 2 years ago, while I didn't notice the shedding (I wasn't looking for it), I did notice that my nape hairs had thinned a lot, and even the hairs just above as well. At one point one side was even thinner than the other! Anyway, since then it has got better, and I'm fairly sure that what happened to me was a result of stress. Maybe it's the same for you?

It could be stress. Ive been under alot lately :(

Im just amazed that I still actually have hair there! It can sit there and pull 4-5 hairs every single time I gently tug on it. Crazy.

Sean68 the girl in my avatar is model called Misa Campo. You like her? Google image her if you like. Shes pretty hot. Half dutch, half chinese I believe. Nice combination.

image.axd

2422422a6367915858l.jpg

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
chino20 said:

It could be stress. Ive been under alot lately :(

Im just amazed that I still actually have hair there! It can sit there and pull 4-5 hairs every single time I gently tug on it. Crazy.

Sean68 the girl in my avatar is model called Misa Campo. You like her? Google image her if you like. Shes pretty hot. Half dutch, half chinese I believe. Nice combination.

image.axd

She is good. :)
Anyways, about your hair loss from nape. Whats your age? I heard nape hairloss occurs late in life. Probably in 50s.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
I can also pull out quite a few hairs on the back of my head and sides. They are all short with tapered endings, indicating a short hair cycle. Maybe it's normal for these hairs to have a shorter hair cycle than the hair on top of the head?

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
I can also pull out quite a few hairs on the back of my head and sides. They are all short with tapered endings, indicating a short hair cycle. Maybe it's normal for these hairs to have a shorter hair cycle than the hair on top of the head?

I cant. Seriously, I have seen very few guys in 40s with nape hair loss. You think its common?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jkkezh said:

Nape hairs are naturally finer, or maybe its miniturizing?

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
Jkkezh said:

But do you think most people lost them? I doubt.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A majority of older men do have receeding napes and a reason why many hair transplant doctors regard nape hairs outside of the 'safe zone', I didn't believe this till I started to look and found this is true.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
A majority of older men do have receeding napes and a reason why many hair transplant doctors regard nape hairs outside of the 'safe zone', I didn't believe this till I started to look and found this is true.
Yes, I have seen many without nape hair myself. But definitely not the majority. Its touch and go methinks. Depends a lot on what your ancestors had in terms of hairloss.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
Rwt_Raj said:
[quote="Lucky_UK":3fcigldl]
Jkkezh said:

But do you think most people lost them? I doubt.[/quote:3fcigldl]

Just to make sure; when I'm talking about the ' nape' I'm talking about the back of the neck. If you look the nape hair in women, it seems to be shorter as well (see picture below). It's more like body hair, it can't grow very long. That's why it will also fall out sooner when you pull it.

People with short hair or who have very frequent hair cuts will probably not notice this nape hair shedding because it's always cut/shaved.

Geisha-kyoto-2004-11-21.jpg

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Jkkezh said:
Rwt_Raj said:
[quote="Lucky_UK":1e87lrcv]I can also pull out quite a few hairs on the back of my head and sides. They are all short with tapered endings, indicating a short hair cycle. Maybe it's normal for these hairs to have a shorter hair cycle than the hair on top of the head?

But do you think most people lost them? I doubt.[/quote:1e87lrcv]

Just to make sure; when I'm talking about the ' nape' I'm talking about the back of the neck. If you look the nape hair in women, it seems to be shorter as well (see picture below). It's more like body hair, it can't grow very long. That's why it will also fall out sooner when you pull it.

People with short hair or who have very frequent hair cuts will probably not notice this nape hair shedding because it's always cut/shaved.

Yeah the nape is the region between your donor and the base of the hairline on your neck.

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. The hair doesnt seem to grow quite as long in this region.

I actually saw a guy the other day with a completely bald/sparse nape region. Yet the hair everywhere else was completely intact :dunno:

Ichibi

Reaction score
My nape hair and hair all around the edges (around the ears and such) all are small fine hairs. They never grow, and I should know cause I grew out my hair last year. I think it's just genetics.