My Minoxidil Story - Heart Palp, Headaches, And Indegistion

SomeGuy11249

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yo,

So I just wanted to share my experience here for anyone who might come across it and find it helpful. I started using Rogaine Foam 5% and, because I'm an idiot who doesn't read instructions, I simply started slathering that stuff on my head twice per day. Once I realized the connection between what happened to me next and Minoxidil... I did some quick research and realized I was probably putting close to 2-4 times the recommended amount into my head with each treatment. In addition, I always did this on a freshly wet scalp (right after a shower).

At any rate, it didn't take long for me to start getting massive headaches - focused mostly on the right side of my head... a pounding pulsing type of headache. At first, I simply hit the advil and ignored them. However, the headaches were persistent and intense. After the third straight day of these headaches I had to take time off work because I just couldn't function. I stopped using Rogaine but didn't make the connection just yet... it wasn't until I realized that I was having heart palpitations (racing heart while lying in bed for hours doing nothing) that accompanied some of the worst headache pain I've had that my google searches started to link together.

Finally, I decided to not be an irresponsible idiot and I went to the doctor. The doctor saw no evidence of infection or disease and attributed the headaches to stress (I do work a lot of hours). He thought my Minoxidil theory could very well be correct and that I should take time off, relax, and stop using Rogaine.

I'm now 5 days removed from my last Rogaine application and my headaches and heart palpitations have slowed down to nearly nothing. I have had terrible indigestion for the last few days (which we believe is a result of potassium loss due to the effects of Minoxidil... as it is a potassium channel opener). Which is now starting to fade as well. After living in misery for about a week, and legitimately thinking I was about to die on a few occasions, I'm nearly back to normal.

So, the lesson here is... yes these symptoms can be caused by Minoxidil if you're an idiot like me and you overdose so hard that you effectively give yourself a concentrated shot of blood pressure medication. Please profit from my example and follow the instructions =/

Edit: Also I spelled Indigestion wrong in the title... oops!