My latest UTS - Pics attached. For me it's all about the hairline!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So this is where it might surprise you guys : I am wearing a TCP system. I guess this reinforces what I said earlier about doing your own research (as in how to make a system work for you) and having a great stylist on board.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So this is where it might surprise you guys : I am wearing a TCP system. I guess this reinforces what I said earlier about doing your own research (as in how to make a system work for you) and having a great stylist on board.

That's really surprising...

I thought they only did stock systems and used their own glue which came off my head in a few days.
I got the pics on here somewhere and the stylist did a really piss poor job too.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would guess that their main model is in selling stock systems and this will appeal to guys who a quick turnaround or a new system at short notice. As a business model it probably allows them to scale up quicker and to keep costs down through economies of scale.

They can of course supply custom systems with any combination of variations - the one limitation being that they are all UTS. I did ask why they only supply UTS, but there was no real reason other than it being a business decision. In my case it didn't matter... whether I use TCP or not, I would want a UTS system.

For the custom design, you do need a stylist who is able to discuss options and recommend the best design for you. And I found it really helped that I gave them a strong idea of what I wanted.

I know I keep repeating this, but it is very important to have a good stylist on your journey. A good stylist can fix a bad system, whereas a bad stylist will ruin a good system.

HairsonUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what I think of with total cover plus:

And they are basically a hair club.

You've clearly got a different experience deg. But when I went to see them they wanted me to pay a few £ a month and then £170 or so for a fitting (or was it for maintenance?)

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what I think of with total cover plus:

And they are basically a hair club.

You've clearly got a different experience deg. But when I went to see them they wanted me to pay a few £ a month and then £170 or so for a fitting (or was it for maintenance?)
Some of TCP's earliest videos are worse! That first one u posted isn't bad at all - it's what youngsters will go for. But look on YouTube for 'total cover plus phil' and you'll see the results of another good TCP stylist.

And you'll find good and bad videos\photos from any supplier. So take them with a pinch of salt.

I'm not keen on the monthly sub so I don't do that, but it wouldn't make a difference to what I spend in a year.

The fitting and cut in is always expensive but this is where the skill is and I pay to get the results shown in my pics. No point having a £400 system and then paying an average stylist £50 to ruin it. Though I know of a salon in London that charges £350 for a cut in!!... now that is a rip off.

My first experience with TCP was with a different stylist and I was sorely disappointed with that first system. But I learned and worked with another stylist to get the look I'm now happy with.

HairsonUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I said, I genuinely can't fault your result. Perhaps as franchisees certain salons are more or less keen on customs etc.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of TCP's earliest videos are worse! That first one u posted isn't bad at all - it's what youngsters will go for. But look on YouTube for 'total cover plus phil' and you'll see the results of another good TCP stylist.

And you'll find good and bad videos\photos from any supplier. So take them with a pinch of salt.

I'm not keen on the monthly sub so I don't do that, but it wouldn't make a difference to what I spend in a year.

The fitting and cut in is always expensive but this is where the skill is and I pay to get the results shown in my pics. No point having a £400 system and then paying an average stylist £50 to ruin it. Though I know of a salon in London that charges £350 for a cut in!!... now that is a rip off.

My first experience with TCP was with a different stylist and I was sorely disappointed with that first system. But I learned and worked with another stylist to get the look I'm now happy with.
Hi all

Finally got my system replaced. What a relief. This is a 0.03mm UTS, with some grey and deliberately receded to be more age appropriate.

Some of you would have seen my previous pics on this forum and I have again followed a similar methodology to achieve the results below.

I use an amazing salon in S.E. of U.K. and am happy to recommend them if needed - PM me if you like.

Always looking to improve and happy to try new ideas, so I appreciate any thoughts you guys have.

View attachment 161241View attachment 161242View attachment 161243View attachment 161246View attachment 161247View attachment 161248View attachment 161249

It looks really good from the front. Although 2nd pic I can see some white skin/glue?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Depends how expensive?

I was paying £45 maintenance a time, from Optima Hair in Birmingham.
My display pic shows how great the stylist's skills were!

Shame they only did thin skin poly bases with a 1/20th lace front.
Or I would have stuck with them.
Optima Hair had excellent customer services,excellent friendly people there and excellent stylists.

Downsides they didn't do full lace bases and 3 custom hair systems was £2000 for me. Expensive af.
Most other places are £400-£500 per custom hair system.

Pic of the custom hair system base from Optima Hair.
Sadly caused me terrible itching after 4 days as hardly breathes unlike hybrid or full lace.

Attachments

• 71B6494A-A4BE-41EB-8673-3C6810A06B8E.jpeg
    71B6494A-A4BE-41EB-8673-3C6810A06B8E.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I said, I genuinely can't fault your result. Perhaps as franchisees certain salons are more or less keen on customs etc.

They are modified stock.
Not true customs.

As I remember asking them at the time.
Custom hair systems require a template and hair sample and normally take 12-14 weeks to make.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are modified stock.
Not true customs.

As I remember asking them at the time.
Custom hair systems require a template and hair sample and normally take 12-14 weeks to make.

Mine is a full custom. I had a proper template made with the receded hairline and then 4 different colour shades and 2 different density zones. Yes you're right about it taking 3 months ... or 6 months during Covid!

I can't imagine why any salon would have recommended a modified stock. Stock is stock, there is no customisation.

Can I ask about your system from Optima: with the lace front, are you able to expose the hairline and does it look good if you do? I'd be interested in seeing a pic (if you wouldn't mind) because I've always wondered if lace front is better for exposed hairlines. In all other respects I much prefer UTS.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine is a full custom. I had a proper template made with the receded hairline and then 4 different colour shades and 2 different density zones. Yes you're right about it taking 3 months ... or 6 months during Covid!

I can't imagine why any salon would have recommended a modified stock. Stock is stock, there is no customisation.

Can I ask about your system from Optima: with the lace front, are you able to expose the hairline and does it look good if you do? I'd be interested in seeing a pic (if you wouldn't mind) because I've always wondered if lace front is better for exposed hairlines. In all other respects I much prefer UTS.
When I next put it on, I can do that for you,sure.

I'm amazed they did full custom.

Why you much prefer UTS?
It's more fragile than french lace and doesn't breathe much usually.
And has to be used with backing liner tape or tape can rip the base on removal.
Glue is better on an UTS.
And sounds like a plastic bag to the touch if not completely glued down.

Pic attached below of my HairHub hybrid custom system.
Although it's currently been sent back as they added grey by mistake.
Lace front and french lace centre.
With poly all around the sides.

Attachments

• 183527D5-2E25-429E-BBA7-BBEC00D41B12.jpeg
    183527D5-2E25-429E-BBA7-BBEC00D41B12.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great look for a uts. Supplier?? is it possible that it has bleached knots, I doubt it can be done with us, very looped..