My Hairloss Journey For The Past 10 Years

neodoxa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I noticed my hairline when I was 20 years old... I'm about to turn 31 now.

I posted some pictures 10 years ago on another forum, and the general consensus was that I was a Norwood 2 to Norwood 2.5 with possible diffuse thinning in the front third.

Instead of doing any treatments/medicines for it, I started just no-guard buzzing my head so I'd stop worrying about it and try to just move on with life. It generally worked... I went about 5 years without caring much about it. But now that I'm back on the dating scene (long term relationship just ended), it's back on my mind now.

Here I am today about a week after no-guard shaving/buzzing it...

yV7OatW.png

Can I get some feedback about what I should do from here on out? Where am I at now?

Thanks in advance.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say age is your best friend here. Still have that much at 31 means you will not wake up bald tomorrow, and that's with no treatment?
Start what ever else people tell you to use, but I'd say stay off finasteride for now.

Kris89

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like you're losing hair at a very slow rate on the plus side. I would disagree with the above post and recommend anyone losing hair to start finasteride if they are concerned about further hairloss. Currently it's the most effective way of targeting the actual cause of male pattern baldness. You do need to weigh up the risk of side effects, but in my experience (and the 10 or so friends of mine who use it as well) nobody has had any other than one guy who had watery semen for maybe 2 weeks. Your other treatments like minoxidil and regenepure/nizoral are fairly useless on their own imo. A great compliment to treatment on finasteride though.

Your other option is.. if you're fine with having your head buzzed, you could always tattoo on your hairline. I know one guy who was slick bald all over at 22. Had a professional hair tattoo and honestly I can't tell it isn't his real hair shaved down. He has to shave the sides daily to maintain that look but he likes it so whatever.

If you do get on finasteride you could also consider a hair transplant in the temples of your hair. Seeing your loss is so slow and finasteride would likely halt it, a hair transplant might look dicky for a couple of months, but after that you'd have a full head for the foreseeable future.

Just some ideas hey

neodoxa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys...

What are my options for just maintaining what I have now? Just finasteride?

I'm on the fence about trying it... I just can't quit thinking that knocking out such a high percentage of a potent male hormone would have serious long term side effects.

As stupid as this sounds, is there a way to only knock out like 50% of DHT with microdosing or something?

I do a lot of weight training, too... Does finasteride affect weightlifting or physique in a serious way?

Thanks.

As a side note... wow hair loss is just an awful condition. Its so taxing on my mental state.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do a lot of weight training, too... Does finasteride affect weightlifting or physique in a serious way?

I also weight train intensely. I've continued to add lean muscle and maintain a low body fat percentage while on finasteride. It has had no negative impact on my body composition

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is really your only option for maintaining what you have. On the plus side you have a really good head shape for a short buzz cut, and your hair loss is super slow if you have been losing for 10 years and it still looks like that. You could always take finasteride every other day, but I am pretty sure it suppresses nearly the same amount of DHT. I am super into weight lifting as well, and have been on finasteride for 3 years (am only 23 years old now). All my lifts and my physique have gone up significantly since starting finasteride (bench 335lbs, squat 405lbs now, at 180lbs). Testosterone is what affects weightlifting and muscular development, not DHT. Testosterone actually rises a bit on finasteride as well, but not significant enough to have much of an effect. One issue is you could get minor gyno from finasteride. I didn't get it, but I have heard of others getting it. It usually subsides if you stop taking the drug though. Ultimately its just a game of luck. If keeping your hair is important to you then I'd get on finasteride.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is really your only option for maintaining what you have. On the plus side you have a really good head shape for a short buzz cut, and your hair loss is super slow if you have been losing for 10 years and it still looks like that. You could always take finasteride every other day, but I am pretty sure it suppresses nearly the same amount of DHT. I am super into weight lifting as well, and have been on finasteride for 3 years (am only 23 years old now). All my lifts and my physique have gone up significantly since starting finasteride (bench 335lbs, squat 405lbs now, at 180lbs). Testosterone is what affects weightlifting and muscular development, not DHT. Testosterone actually rises a bit on finasteride as well, but not significant enough to have much of an effect. One issue is you could get minor gyno from finasteride. I didn't get it, but I have heard of others getting it. It usually subsides if you stop taking the drug though. Ultimately its just a game of luck. If keeping your hair is important to you then I'd get on finasteride.

I've actually noticed this too from finasteride.

Great hair and a bit easier to make gains in the gym. I'll take it ;)

neodoxa

My Regimen
Reaction score
A 1-Year-Later update on my hair... about to turn 32 now.

After awhile of shaving it, I decided to let it grow out a bit for the first time in a couple of years.

What do you guys think? Should I go back to shaving it? How much worse is it than a year ago? I feel like its about the same but I don't keep a close eye on it other than trying to look at last year's pic in the beginning of the thread.

I still haven't jumped on any treatments since I'm not sure if I like the idea of altering my hormones so drastically for hairloss that doesn't seem to be very rapid.

I wish there was a way to just lower my DHT like 20% or something. Haha.

Attachments

• hair3.jpg
    hair3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 305
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 344
  • hair1.png
    hair1.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 329

Thinningpuertorican

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks pretty good grown and styled like that bro, I had my hair kinda grown like that as well but I like my hair a bit shorter but now kinda regretting it but your hair looks awesome maybe some recession but your hair covers most of it

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
A 1-Year-Later update on my hair... about to turn 32 now.

After awhile of shaving it, I decided to let it grow out a bit for the first time in a couple of years.

What do you guys think? Should I go back to shaving it? How much worse is it than a year ago? I feel like its about the same but I don't keep a close eye on it other than trying to look at last year's pic in the beginning of the thread.

I still haven't jumped on any treatments since I'm not sure if I like the idea of altering my hormones so drastically for hairloss that doesn't seem to be very rapid.

I wish there was a way to just lower my DHT like 20% or something. Haha.

You and I have like the same hair currently. Only difference is I'm a few years younger (29) and I have RECOVERED to get back to this point, while you are not on meds and it is simply your current genetic norwood

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks great man. Do u have any scalp itching, flaking, or inflammation ?