My Hairline Has Gotten So Much Worse On Finasteride

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never said everyone or even most people experience hyperandrogenicity.

I think there is very little evidence for hyperandrogencity in the sense that it causes the actual OPPOSITE to occur. Especially with something like Finasteride. People do not get gyno from AIs. People do not get hair loss from Anti Androgens. Just because the Androgen issue is removed does not mean the increased inflammatory chemicals in the scalp have also been removed immediately. These can still cause hair loss in the short run. But this is different than saying your body is just going to continue to increase receptors.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I didn't. I went from dense NW1 to Norwood 2 in a matter of 3 month on finasteride. Then I stopped it due to rapid hair loss. I never tried any other anti androgens after that. I am glad though as my hair loss after quitting has been really slow. It's been ten years and I am still around Norwood 2.5. I am extremely sensitive to anti androgens. Experience of @itchymadscalp and @AnxiousAndy show that if you are prone to reflex hyperandrogencity then no anti androgens, not even feminizing hormones will save your hair. In fact, they will make your hair worse. The only thing that can actually help you is minoxidil. However, I didn't even use minoxidil after being burnt by finasteride.

I either have telogen effilivium or reflex hyper thingy, preying that it's telogen and then once fins out of my system hair will come back. The thing that makes me think it's not telogen is that my hair thinned at my temples and shed rather than just shed , and my increase in testosterone is weird.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I didn't. I went from dense NW1 to Norwood 2 in a matter of 3 month on finasteride. Then I stopped it due to rapid hair loss. I never tried any other anti androgens after that. I am glad though as my hair loss after quitting has been really slow. It's been ten years and I am still around Norwood 2.5. I am extremely sensitive to anti androgens. Experience of @itchymadscalp and @AnxiousAndy show that if you are prone to reflex hyperandrogencity then no anti androgens, not even feminizing hormones will save your hair. In fact, they will make your hair worse. The only thing that can actually help you is minoxidil. However, I didn't even use minoxidil after being burnt by finasteride.

Is there a reason why you never tried spironolactone it sounds like it's the medication to solve androgen receptors going up? After reading it does sound like it's for women but topical should be ok shouldn't it?

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you never tried spironolactone it sounds like it's the medication to solve androgen receptors going up? After reading it does sound like it's for women but topical should be ok shouldn't it?

I didn't want to needlessly mess with any other drug that messes with hormone, especially because my hair loss has been very slow after quitting finasteride. I needlessly took finasteride and paid the price. I didn't want to make the same mistake again. Like they say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Also, experience of other people who got hyperandrogenicty on finasteride show that even spironolactone is not helpful. In fact it seems to make hair loss worse. However, if my hair recedes beyond NW2.5, I would definitely consider topical spironolactone and other drugs as I would have nothing else to lose.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't want to needlessly mess with any other drug that messes with hormone, especially because my hair loss has been very slow after quitting finasteride. I needlessly took finasteride and paid the price. I didn't want to make the same mistake again. Like they say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Also, experience of other people who got hyperandrogenicty on finasteride show that even spironolactone is not helpful. In fact it seems to make hair loss worse. However, if my hair recedes beyond NW2.5, I would definitely consider topical spironolactone and other drugs as I would have nothing else to lose.
Yeah fairs cheers

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right so ive tried to ween off finasteride and have now been off it for 5 days. I notice every time I change the dose i.e. .25 or.5 I always have a spike increase in libido and a shed. I am going. Through it now however I notice the shed is more intense and coming from my crown and back aswell. Libidos up and my leg hair is also shedding anyone ever have this reaction? I hope everything goes back to normal

Ismael

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right so ive tried to ween off finasteride and have now been off it for 5 days. I notice every time I change the dose i.e. .25 or.5 I always have a spike increase in libido and a shed. I am going. Through it now however I notice the shed is more intense and coming from my crown and back aswell. Libidos up and my leg hair is also shedding anyone ever have this reaction? I hope everything goes back to normal
Yo dude i realllyy hope you still around here and can help me out, so i have the same hair line and thickness as you before i started taking finas my hair whas falling out but as soon as i whent on finas it became only worse am now 4 month on it and i keep telling my self its a shed, BUT NO my hair line became so badd and the back and the sides of my head became extremly thin, i think i have relfex hyper am trying to get of it slowly i dint take finas today, can you tell me did quiting finas work did you get your hair back? Or did it became more worse, I really hope you can replay back.

Ismael

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there i hope you can help me out and have any tips for me, So i started finas 4 month ago and it became more more worse then before taking it itchy burning scalp that all the sudden dissapeard but my hair became sooo much thinner then it whas before i have 100% reflex hyper my dermatologist things the same, But almost nobody has reflex hyper so he doesnt know neithrr what to do, i did take for 4 month 1 mg and 2 weeks a half and now 2 weeks 0,25mg and now am taking 1 evry 2 days will the hairs that i lost grow back or is it permanent gone ? My hair is stil thick on top hair line litttle bit receding wich i never had a problem with before finas and the sides of my head extremly thin also the back of my head (donor aere) also thin, ps sorry for my bad english :)

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey are yall still around? I may have a solution for reflex hyperandrogenicity.

TheRock

My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue is with your androgen receptors, which are upregulated. There are ways to down regulate them. (Which we can discuss)

do you have reflex h?
Hey Jonah,
ich hope you are well.
What are the ways?

Maxypooo123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol reflex h isn't real. There's zero evidence there's up regulation of AR on avodart-finasteride. When it comes to all the bro science sh*t on forums like this, always look at the other side of these drugs: BPH. If there was one, even one measly account of someone's prostate increasing after usage of the drug i'd take sh*t like this more serious. The big brain people here are just dummies with body dysmorphia or who dropped the drug before it worked out, or simply have aggressive balding.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Jonah,
ich hope you are well.
What are the ways?
You need to agonize you receptors by blasting them with dht. The reason that they are upregulate is because they were “starved” of dht. All reflex sufferors say that once they quit finasteride and hdt returns then their symptoms get a little better but still persist. The reason they improve is because the increased level of dht (due to stopping finasteride) downregulated those receptors a little but it’s not enough to get them back to baseline. Therefore you need to overly agonize them with extra dht to downregulate them fully.