My Hairline Has Gotten So Much Worse On Finasteride

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yh mate completely take your point I regret ever starting as it's not in my genes to go bald it was vanity and ignorance trying to keep thick nw1. My hairline is so thin now but my hair is really thick v tempted to stop as my hairline has only gotten thinner and I'm nearly 6 months innit my hair is really thick

My plan is to come off finasteride and then from me thinking that my hairloss wasn't even bad my hair should come back if not I'll try minoxidil to get it back in don't think I was badly losing my hair just maturing hairline and I panicked
If that all goes to pot will have to wait 5 more years to get transplant and fix up me hairline

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's worrying me is that I have seen many cases where it's ruined the hairline and never got better

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_6576.PNG
This is where my hairs at at the moment I think that makes it look better than it is

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still huge patches where shedding has been honestly I ain't got a clue anymore my hairline has only got thinner and thinner could be finasteride has accelerated my loss or there's hairs on telogen fase

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is Finasteride really does not have a mechnaism for making hair loss WORSE. It would be like saying that you took an Aspirin and it made your head ache a lot worse. If you are shedding a lot after starting Finasteride, it could just mean it is not working for you and possibly taking something different would. Or, something that is ignored, taking the brand name drug as opposed to a generic which sometimes does work a lot better.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I second that. Starting minoxidil and eventually RU took an slow pattern of loss and caused massive sheds that have never recovered, the most damage at the hairline.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If that's a Norwood 3 then I'm a Norwood 30.

The thing is Finasteride really does not have a mechnaism for making hair loss WORSE. It would be like saying that you took an Aspirin and it made your head ache a lot worse. If you are shedding a lot after starting Finasteride, it could just mean it is not working for you and possibly taking something different would. Or, something that is ignored, taking the brand name drug as opposed to a generic which sometimes does work a lot better.

I think it might be possible that finasteride and other anti androgens could make hair loss worse for some people. Since they don't get rid of 100% of the dht in your system, if a person has ultra sensitive androgen receptors, wouldn't it be possible for the androgen receptors to become even more sensitive to dht if it detects a reduction of dht in the body?

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Coming off finasteride in the hop it recovers, doubt it will but gotta hope, will then use minoxidil to try and trigger some growth

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
If that's a Norwood 3 then I'm a Norwood 30.

I think it might be possible that finasteride and other anti androgens could make hair loss worse for some people. Since they don't get rid of 100% of the dht in your system, if a person has ultra sensitive androgen receptors, wouldn't it be possible for the androgen receptors to become even more sensitive to dht if it detects a reduction of dht in the body?

To my knowledge none of the studies had people who took Finasteride or Duasteride that did a lot worse than the placebo in significant numbers. On the internet, you would think it is extremely common for this to occur. When people have before and afters it usually tells a different story and the person admits to being overly anxious and OCD (which so many on here are). There was ONE time, for Duasteride, that it clearly showed the guys hairline was worse.

While reductions in hormone levels can lead to an increase in receptors, it really is not as aggressive as people make it out to be, especially for something like Finasteride where your body does not even try to increase Testosterone.

How many people have you heard of that took an AI and it made their gyno worse by upregulating the ERs? Your body actually does freak out when there is lack of estrogen as opposed to DHT.

Point is, I cannot say it NEVER happens. But I can say if it does, it is extremely rare and really does not have a basis of happening with Finasteride to the degree people claim.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel the same way man. Shedding shedding shedding

TBH I'm stopping mate I've shed so many healthy hairs I wanna stop before it gets any worse- I'm certain my testosterone s increased because my facial hair and leg hair is a lot thicker dunno what that means sick of shedding wanna get off treatments all I know is that I have way less hair than I did at the start and there's no signs of it coming back better even though my hair feels thicker

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting comment on the beard and leg hair getting thicker. The same has happened to me. Is that a bad sign?

Sounds like it might be. Dht causes body hair growth and scalp hair loss/thinning (for those that are susceptible to male pattern baldness). You should get blood work done to check dht levels. Looks like either the finasteride isn't lowering your dht levels or your dht levels are being reduced but your androgen receptors are becoming more sensitive to even lower amounts of dht. I could be wrong, though, but I can't think of any other reason why an anti androgen like finasteride could cause an increase in scalp hairloss and an increase in body hair.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where does one go to get blood work for dht levels?

You'd have to go to your doctor who can fill an order for a lab to do a blood test. Then you go to the lab who will draw blood and test it for whatever the doctor ordered them to test. Let your doctor know your situation and ask for his opinion on what else should be checked (testosterone, estrogen levels, etc.)

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting comment on the beard and leg hair getting thicker. The same has happened to me. Is that a bad sign?

Increase in body hair indicates either increase in DHT or increase in androgen receptor sensitivity to DHT. Same thing happened to me on finasteride.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is false. Please see Dr, Proctors response to this.

What exactly is reflex hyperandrogenicity and what causes it? Is it when the androgen receptors become more sensitive to DHT or is it an increase in overall testosterone that negatively impacts the follicles. Also, should a topical antiandrogen counter this effect?

Dr Proctor Answers: Reflex hyperandrogenicity is caused by a combination of increased testosterone and increased tissue sensitivity to male sex hormones ( androgens ). The latter is cause at least partially by an increase in the numbers of androgen receptors. Whether the receptors also get more sensitive is not clear, but seems likely.

Reflex hyperandrogenicity is proportional to the strength of an antiandrogen. It limits the use of antiandrogens in (e.g.) treatment of prostate cancer and is why most such patients get castrated.
Because the action of Finasteride is mostly limited to tissues where type-2 5-AR is the important source of androgenic activity, it elicits less reflex hyperandrogenicity than other antiandrogens when used to treat hair loss or prostate enlargement. So this is usually not limiting in hair loss-treatment, at least in the short run. It may even help minimize side-effects such as libido decrease during the use iof finasteride for hair loss. Whether this is also true for Dutasteride ( which blocks both type-1 and type-2 5 Alphareductases ) is not clear yet. And yes, topical antiandrogens such as spironolactone, which do not elicit the increase in testosterone, are likely helpful.

Peter H Proctor, PhD, MD

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Increase in body hair indicates either increase in DHT or increase in androgen receptor sensitivity to DHT. Same thing happened to me on finasteride.
Did it go back to normal once you stopped?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is false. Please see Dr, Proctors response to this.

What exactly is reflex hyperandrogenicity and what causes it? Is it when the androgen receptors become more sensitive to DHT or is it an increase in overall testosterone that negatively impacts the follicles. Also, should a topical antiandrogen counter this effect?

Dr Proctor Answers: Reflex hyperandrogenicity is caused by a combination of increased testosterone and increased tissue sensitivity to male sex hormones ( androgens ). The latter is cause at least partially by an increase in the numbers of androgen receptors. Whether the receptors also get more sensitive is not clear, but seems likely.

Reflex hyperandrogenicity is proportional to the strength of an antiandrogen. It limits the use of antiandrogens in (e.g.) treatment of prostate cancer and is why most such patients get castrated.
Because the action of Finasteride is mostly limited to tissues where type-2 5-AR is the important source of androgenic activity, it elicits less reflex hyperandrogenicity than other antiandrogens when used to treat hair loss or prostate enlargement. So this is usually not limiting in hair loss-treatment, at least in the short run. It may even help minimize side-effects such as libido decrease during the use iof finasteride for hair loss. Whether this is also true for Dutasteride ( which blocks both type-1 and type-2 5 Alphareductases ) is not clear yet. And yes, topical antiandrogens such as spironolactone, which do not elicit the increase in testosterone, are likely helpful.

Peter H Proctor, PhD, MD

Why then are 88% of white men who use Propecia (above baseline) better off in two years than the people who take placebo? And for most this continues into 5yrs? Surely we would see the opposite, that Propecia makes their hair worse due to the increase in receptors? Again--it is like saying you are treating gyno with Arimidex and it is making your breasts worse due to ER upregulation. This does not really happen to the degree that is being talked about online. Prostate cancer is a different beast as the receptors are extremely dysfunctional (cancerous) to the point where things that are not even Androgens can stimulate the cancer cells due to mutations (such as estrogen or progesterone) which is the real reason why they sometimes they get castrated.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why then are 88% of white men who use Propecia (above baseline) better off in two years than the people who take placebo? .

I never said everyone or even most people experience hyperandrogenicity.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score

Did u try anything new after u stopped finasteride to get hair back and did it work? Definitely not touching Duta if finasteride has fucked me

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did u try anything new after u stopped finasteride to get hair back and did it work? Definitely not touching Duta if finasteride has fucked me

No, I didn't. I went from dense NW1 to Norwood 2 in a matter of 3 month on finasteride. Then I stopped it due to rapid hair loss. I never tried any other anti androgens after that. I am glad though as my hair loss after quitting has been really slow. It's been ten years and I am still around Norwood 2.5. I am extremely sensitive to anti androgens. Experience of @itchymadscalp and @AnxiousAndy show that if you are prone to reflex hyperandrogencity then no anti androgens, not even feminizing hormones will save your hair. In fact, they will make your hair worse. The only thing that can actually help you is minoxidil. However, I didn't even use minoxidil after being burnt by finasteride.