My Hair Loss Has Reached A New Level

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I think my hair loss has reached a new point. Since I first started noticing hair loss at around 19, I’ve had very slow recession and still was able to pull off almost any hairstyle without anyone noticing. That is up until around this May/June. My temples and hairline really started to go back, and I’ve noticed I’m shedding a lot more than usual. I'm probably a NW1.5-2.0 which isn't bad at all compared to other people, but considering the rate that it's been at recently it's left me pessimistic about the future. I’ve also had all these small hairs pop up all over my hairline (which I assume is hair on its way out), and for the first time I can see right through my hair and see my scalp even when my hair is styled. I guess it could be Telogen Effluvium considering I've had a pretty hectic past few months, but we all know how small of a probability that is and it’s more likely than not diffuse thinning of the AA type. Considering I had a full thick head of hear just 3 years ago, and it’s ramped up over the past 4 months, I really wonder how much longer I’ll have my hair for.

I’m hesitant to get on any treatments because of sides and lack of permanence. Finasteride has all those nasty side effects associated with it, which although slim, won’t sit well with me knowing the type of person I am. I'm also not a fan of ruining one thing to fix another (aka playing with my natural hormone levels). Minoxidil also has the small side effect of ruining skin quality, but more importantly isn’t even permanent, so why bother? It'll also be expensive to maintain all that considering I'm a student. At this point all I can do is hope that that magic “cure” is coming soon, though that doesn’t look to be anytime before ~2021 in the US and who knows how expensive that’ll end up being.

Honestly I don’t even know why I’m making this post as I don’t expect anything to come out of it, just a rant I suppose since I’m out of options. Though I still have a good amount of hair remaining for the time being, I’m really considering buzzing it all off just to get some peace of mind as bad as I know it's going to look. I think about hair loss way too often.

But all that negativity aside, hope everyone is doing well, and apologies for the long post.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd get a response like that haha, but I meant more in terms of the future. Personally I wouldn't ever do anything to mess with my hormones, but to each their own. I'm the type to always be worried about side effects so I try to avoid medication when I can.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be flippant, I just like the meme.

I totally understand where you're coming from. Hair loss is a personal issue and I see people navigate it effectively whichever path they choose. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself.
As bad as this hair loss stuff is a little humor never hurts haha

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t even know why I’m making this post

Honestly neither do we as you know we have no answers if you rule out any proven treatment that may work...

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly neither do we as you know we have no answers if you rule out any proven treatment that may work...
I wasn't really looking for any answers, as there really aren't any. Just venting I suppose.

Finjunkie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just get on finasteride and forget about hairloss. It's a dice roll but so is getting in your car in the morning. I've been on it forever and I only come to the forums during extreme boredom and for dank memes.

I go to dermatologist once a year and fill the years worth of finasteride all at once for $50. It's stupidly cheap at Costco and you don't even have to be a member. Also, We have cookies.