My hair loss at 20yrs old - now on dutasteride

DCK

Reaction score
[SUB]​[/SUB]Hello all, decided to sign up and share my story on my hair loss.

I'm 20yrs of age and have an asian background, genetically my hair has always been thinner and strandy compared to the thicker hair of the western population. My dad started hair loss in his 40s and is nw4, i'm now on nw3.

I started noticing my hair loss at 16, wasn't much just the more occasional few evey time I showered and styled my hair, at the time I didnt think much of it and it didnt seem much of a problem but early into being 18 years i started university and it was clear my hairline was receeding. I started using rogaine foam on my hairline to attempt the slow of lose, i did this for about 4-5 months and I went through the shedding stage, without proper researching I naively stopped using regaine as I thought it wasn't helping, and being a student I couldn't afford the treatment! £40 a month was lot. I definitely wsihed i'd continue use for longer; maybe my problem wouldn't be as bad right now. Throughout this time I had been using alpecin shampoo, I initially thought it had helped a bit, giving my hair more texture and grip, however as I've continued the use i've noticed the results weren't as good.

So by April 2013 ish, I had stopped treating my hair, it actually wasn't too bad at this point, I was a NW2 and I didn't think I was losing that much hair, not more then usual. By September 2013 I moved into the second year of my uni degree then as the term started, I noticed my hair started to fall out much faster and suddenly, my hair thinned and I started to bald quick, on the hairline, at the top of my head and crown. I decided that I needed to conceal my balding and I currently use nanogen hair fibres with the same fibrehold spray, I mix the use of these fibres with Samson hair fibres as they are a cheaper alternative for my crown and top of head where the finishing isn't as important as the hairline.

By september 2014 I started to use biotin hair supplements and also, after researching I decided to start using Dutastaride, been taking 0.5mg a day now for the 18th day, the initial week i got a little shedding of my hair, but it has got marginally thicker on the top of my head, I've also noticed that there has been a couple thicker hairs growing out on my hairline. I havent had any side effects yet and i'll definitely update my progress on dutasteride.

I've also just bought a DS lab Revita shampoo and considering a laser comb of some sort. What do people think of my treatments? Thanks for reading.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would have tried finasteride before dutasteride but if its working for you then great! minoxidil comined with finasteride is the most effectove treatment, consider adding 5% minoxidil to your regime. Best of luck!

DCK

Reaction score
Yeah I was unsure whether to try finasteride first or not, i'll probably continue to use dutasteride for the forseeable future, I'm considering lowering my dosage. I'm definitely thinking about using minoxidil foam again, will probably order some soon. Hopefully minoxidil and dutasteride will be just as effective if not better. Thanks!