My First Week On Finasteride; Looking For Others’ Experiences In The Early Stages

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to take the plunge and try finasteride. On my 7th day of 0.25mg per day and already experiencing some concerning effects. I’d like the input of others who have used finasteride and those who have used it then discontinued later. I’ll detail my experience so far.

First two days: Started by taking the dose a few hours before going to sleep. On the second night, almost as soon as I’d shut my eyes, I would begin very vividly dreaming, even though I was still awake. Couldn’t get to sleep because of this for several hours. Ended up having four hours of restless sleep which is very unusual for me.

From day three onwards: Started taking the dose in the morning and this has resolved the sleep issue. Slight spaced out feeling for first few hours after dose but tolerable and not a problem.

My biggest concern:

About the forth day in, could feel throbbing ache in right testicle, a tingling feeling in my foreskin and most alarmingly, a feeling as if an anaesthetic has been applied to the penis glans.

Looked at my balls when going for a piss and they were undualating wildly in the sack, more than I’ve ever seen before, looked like they were trying to break out.

The numb type feeling on my glans is the most worrying. I can tolerate the rest if it helps me keep my hair.

Has anybody else had this side effect early on then had it subside with continued use? Or had the effect after long term use and had the numbing sensation resolve after discontinuation of the drug?

I’m confirmed NW6 diffuse (!) by a transplant surgeon but, after inspecting my follicles with the magnifier, thinks I may not even need a transplant if I use finasteride (still have many terminal and vellus hairs even though my scalp is visible under lighting). Because of this advice, I really want to give finasteride a proper chance and not bail at the first sign of trouble. Any input and insight from the finasteride users here would be highly appreciated.

Note: This is not a finasteride hysteria thread. It is a definite physical sensation, not psychological. Erections, orgasm and libido remain unaffected so far. The weird tingling and numbed feeling in the foreskin and glans is most pronounced when flaccid.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
Your body’s adjusting... give it up till 2 months if you still have these sides then get off.

Thanks for the reply. That’s exactly what I’d like to do, and I get that my body’s adjusting. What I’d like to know is if anyone else had this weird tingling/numb feeling in the end of their dick when they first got on it? I’d never seen that side effect mentioned before I started using the drug so I wasn’t expecting it. When I google it the only thing that comes up is Propecia help threads with horror stories which I’d rather not trawel through.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Honestly my first couple months had varying effects, libido shot up, genitals felt “heavier” and even had some weird feeling when I peed, it all cleared up around 2-3 month mark though.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly my first couple months had varying effects, libido shot up, genitals felt “heavier” and even had some weird feeling when I peed, it all cleared up around 2-3 month mark though.

Cheers Joey. Are you still using it or have you come off for some reason?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Cheers Joey. Are you still using it or have you come off for some reason?
Still going strong mate, i came off after 14 months cause I felt no improvements but my hair went downhill after 2 months off soooo fucken fast it’s ablut 2.5 months I’m back on and all is well man.
s

TONSofBODYHAIR

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started at 0.5 mg ed dick went dead the very next day , reduced to 0.25mg still dead so yeah i might need to come off soon and pray to brotzu, 1 month or something of use

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. For me, your body and DHT levels are just adjusting. Everything you just said, I had the same exact experience of it too after 2 weeks of taking it. I no longer have morning boners and I can't get pleasure and excitement when masturbating, so I always panic masturbate and that causes longer time to ejaculate. But I read somewhere that you should not get paranoid and think about it that much. So I just went on with my life, go to work, gym, have dates, and didn't think about it that much. I also tried to lessen the times I masturbate, then after 1 month, just like that I can't barely feel any side effects anymore. I think my body has adjusted to its new DHT levels. I find pleasure in masturbation and sex again. Plus I notice I don't have intense hair fall anymore on my pillow when I wake up. Stay on it, don't panic, and just do it as a daily routine, but keep living and do other things in the different areas of your life. Good luck

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had these side effects for the first 3 weeks. They mostly went away afterwards, came back after several years, even though not as severe. Generally the decrease in sensation arround your dick goes hand in hand with a decreased libido as a side effect. As far as I experieced it, after stopping the therapy twice, the effect is not permanent, but might be latent to a smaller degree as long as you take this medicine.

K505

My Regimen
Reaction score
i think in the first week or two i experienced a pain in my prostate area.. (between a-hole and my nuts).
it happened because i was using proscar cut in 1/4 (1.25mg finasteride). i had it for 2 days... never since ( been varying dosage to test my body). and it only happened with the 1.25 mg dosage and i have been taking it again ( same dosage ) but didn't have that pain again.
(been using proscar for 3 weeks, and i take the pills before i hit the bed).
don't know if this is a bad sign or a "side effect", i can't say i had any other side effects. (i cant blame all things on finasteride just yet).

but at the moment i'm soul crushed(depressed), so don't ask about my libido just yet. i had really low libido before starting proscar/finasteride (several things in my life that are still affecting me to this day, hair loss being one of them).
and the fear of side effects and long term use is affecting me mentally and if i will get the results i want or if it will make it worse, so naturally my libido is sh!t for now, regardless of being on finasteride or not, sorry this doesn't answer much about libido sides or whatever.