My finding:scalp OILER after propecia->limited success ra

HH

Reaction score
My scalp became more oily soon after taking propecia, and I don't see very good sign till now. (shedding seems not slowing down)

So I start researching on this: And I find those who report to have a more OILY scalp after taking propecia usually don't have good results.

Anyone have similar experencises or anyone who don't agree with this?

Oiler scalp may be a sign of hyper-andro.

michael barry

Reaction score
Jiangwen.
Finasteride works by binding with the alpha five reductase type 2 enzyme that is located in the outer root sheath of the hair follicle and the liver and a few other places in the bod. DHT is DHT, the alpha five reductase type 1 enzyme, that is located in the sebocytes of the skin and the sebaceous gland is unaffected by finasteride.

So think about it..............all that testosterone that would have gotten converted to DHT is now "free". Unfortuantely the other enzyme that makes DHT is right there close to it still......in the oil gland and sebocytes. If the Testosterone that would have gotten changed into DHT just drifts a bit, it can still be made into DHT right there AT YOUR OIL GLAND. DHT is the strogest stimulator of your oil glands........making your scalp oily.

There is a dietary way to help this, and alpha five type 1 inhibtors ways to stop it also. The products that help stop type 1 from changing T to DHT are dutasteride, free form gamma linolenic and alpha linolenic acid (that would be in Revivogen), green tea extract, and in high concentations zinc and copper. Sprionolcatone topically sees less testosterone get made in the scalp and blocks androgen receptors, which leads to less oil gland activity also.

The dietary way is to UP globulin. Soy isoflavones and green tea catechins (substances in green tea) do this dietarily. The old pre-world war two Japanese seldom went bald as opposed as how much they do today. The old Japanese diet was very high in soy, veggies, and green tea. They do cola and McDonalds just like we do now. Globulin is the "sex-binding" hormone because it binds testosterone in an unusable way, so it cannot get changed into DHT when it meets up with alpha five reductase enzymes........Eating less fatty red meats will proboably lead your liver to make less alpha five reductase enzymes to float around your blood stream also.

My suggestion is to eat a healthy fruits and veggies, lean meat diet..............cut way back on high glycemic index foods (high glycemic index foods get your body to make more insulin because of insulin resistance that builds up, for whatever reason your body seems to think it needs more testosterone to deal with this, and it makes more), drink soy milk instead of regular milk, enjoy some green tea or take a little green tea extract, AND if your gonna stay on finasteride to inhibit type one DHT, look for some entity that makes topical green tea extract with plenty of ECGH, the catechin that inhibits type 1 the best, for a reasonable price. This should be cheap, and can be appied at bedtime. spironolactone twice a day topically would lead to less testosterone getting metabolized in your scalp and block the receptors for many hours of the day......it will dry things out up there also in just a few days..

HH

Reaction score
Hey michael barry, thank you for your reply.

And you know what, I'm a chinese who almost never eat westen food, and I'm now eat even more vegetable/fruit/soy milk, because I know they are healthy and will do good to my hair.

And I know *in theory*, you are right, propecia won't make scalp less oily; and *in theory*, your scalp's oily or not doesn't indciate if you are a good responder or not

*BUT*, it's my finding through many people's real stories that, those who report to have a more oily scalp after taking propecia, usually don't report good result later.

While in many *success* stories, the authors usually claim that their scalps becomes healthier - mostly including *LESS oilier*

So, I'm suspecting that, in *practise* - that your scalp becomes "less oily" or "more oily" after taking this drug, might well be an indicator of something.

Want to share this idea to the group to justify my thought.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Great post their Michael.

Informative, and easy to understand :)