My Finasteride Experience (1mg/day)

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
He is my unfortunate experience:

Within a few days of using finasteride (1mg daily) I had side effects of lower libido, trouble maintaining or getting an erection, frequent urination (getting up about 3 times during the night) and more exertion required for bowel movements.

I know that latter 2 sound strange. And I thought so too. But it is definitely a cause and effect.. at least for me and my body. I expect I may get "it's something else", "it's in your head", 'side-effects are made-up my lawyers", and so on. I stopped, then started again (for 3 mos) and it was clear early on this was the reason.

I met with a few dermatologists, and recently one that I really respect. She is a proponent of finasteride, and when I told her about my side effects she said.. yea unfortunately it sounds like you're part of the group that gets side effects. And she said they can be permanent, which I know we have all read. I asked the likelihood of side-effects becoming permanent, she said 1%. I appreciate and respect that she gave me her input and did so in a caring manner.

Like I mentioned, I stayed on finasteride for about 3 months after I initially stopped, even with the side-effects simply because there aren't so many options out there. I guess a part of me was hoping my body would adjust. And until I met with more physicians I didn't want to waste any time I couldn't get back without being on it. And again, I wanted to fight this and do whatever I could with our limited options.

I asked about a lower dose of finasteride, and she said there isn't much as far as case studies showing less than 1 is helpful. She wasn't telling me yes or no, but give me her medical knowledge / opinion. And it was her belief it wasn't worth it.

A strong part of me was relieved because I didn't want the side-effects. And they have actually left within the first few days, especially my urinary and bowel movement probs.

But.. I'm now more depressed because I simply don't have the option of taking what seems to be the most highly recommended form of treatment. I'm willing to fight this, but being told I can't and I'm powerless in that way hurts.. a lot.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Try taking 1mg 3x a week, I take finasteride 3-5x a week and don't have any sides, this coming from someone who took it 7x a week back in 2015 and had some side effects, definitely had that bowel movement problem back then as well. It's worth a try, I'm slightly maintaining on this dose at 10 months now and feel like I have no side effects at this point.