My Experience With Topical Saw Palmetto + Questions

NDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Saw Palmetto extract (active ingredients) that comes mixed with pumpkin seed oil in soft gel capsules, they are meant to be ingested, I however use a needle to poke a hole in the capsules and use the content topically, I do that because I tried taking saw palmetto powder internally and I got side effects, so far the weak hairs in the front of the scalp (diffused hair loss) have responded positively within a week, the crown which is more bald in my case seems to have gotten darker in color which I assume is the already existing colorless tiny hairs that are there but were unnoticeable getting stronger, so far I haven't seen any new hair coming out, just the existing hairs getting slightly stronger, I haven't been trying this for long enough for new hairs to come out.

However, I got side effects again from topical saw palmetto, I assume this is either because the saw palmetto content gets into the blood stream through the skin or because the DHT produced at the hair follicles is supposed to serve different male functions along side the DHT produced elsewhere, and now if the over all DHT is less sides happen, I am no expert so I might be wrong on this.

I used 1 capsule / day, yesterday I switched to once every two days to see if it helps with the sides while continuing to get positive results, I might also lower it to once every 3 or 4 days and see what happens.

My questions are:

If lowering DHT at the scalp affects male functions wouldn't the better solution be to leave DHT levels as they are and instead try to inhibit DHT from binding to the hair follicle?

What treatments if any use this approach?

----------------------

Background

-29, Started losing hair at around 23, hair loss seems to have stopped at around 27, haven't noticed any progression since
-Diffused hairloss, crown and front, mostly at the crown, hair line has not receded except for a little bit at the right temple
-Tried generic finasteride / Minoxidil years ago, got sides, so I stopped both

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Seriously...In near 2018...Somes are always trying about Saw Palmetto.....

MarkMMM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you provide a link for the "Saw Palmetto extract (active ingredients) that comes mixed with pumpkin seed oil in soft gel capsules" that you used.