My Experience With The Big 3 For 6-7+ Months(PICS)

TryingToJoin0

Reaction score
Think it's about time I made this. I'm 23 years old. Father was completely bald in his 30's. Grandfather from my mom's side also suffers from balding at the crown.

Last year, around late June/July I noticed that my hairline started receding and thinning at the crown. For a few more months, I was in denial until around September, where I noticed it started to look worse. Family members said I was being a bit paranoid, but I didn't really put much stock into what they said.

fast forward to OCT where I went to a GP and a Derm. Both confirmed that I was thinning at the back, and had some diffuse thinning. I Went on minoxidil+Keto Shampoo in OCT but derm wouldn't prescribe me finasteride until I came back in 3 months. Luckily I had a backup plan and ordered finasteride from an online pharmacy, which eventually came on NOV 1st on 2015.

Now Fast forward to DEC, and I went to another derm, who also confirmed I was thinning and prescribed finasteride with no Issue. I decided to go with a prescription because I just wanted that peace of mind. Not to mention it's $2-$3 monthly, which is good.

Ultimately, I've been using the Big 3 for 6-7 months. 1.25mg finasteride for 6 months every day + Regenepure DR Keto shampoo once a week + 5% minoxidil for 7 months 2x a day. From that entire time, I have mostly noticed that I not only gained new hairs on my hairline, but that the thinning on the crown hasn't gotten worse at all. Haven't had any side effects from finasteride. minoxidil well....... my facial hair and eyebrows started growing a lot more.

Other than that...i'm satisfied really. Been growing longer hair, which actually helps to hide my receded hairline.

Before The Big 3

http://imgur.com/a/vCWVZ

Crown

http://imgur.com/a/N4TMA

After The Big 3

http://imgur.com/a/HTHLc

Current Hairline(I'm 100% Confident all of those hairs in the front and temples are due to the big 3)
http://imgur.com/a/XDvCM

Current Crown
http://i.imgur.com/xUfz2gF.png

http://i.imgur.com/1v3v3LS.png

Important Notes:

- Unfortunately I don't have any really good photos of what my hairline looked like mid last year

- As time goes on, I'll do my best to update this thread and post better hairline+crown pics

- I'm going to take a better pic of what my crown looks like in the future. I don't feel the current "crown" pics are a good indicator because I completely wet+conditioned it. Normally my hair looks a lot thicker, and the thinning crown doesn't look as noticeable

-In terms of ordinary day to day interaction, no one has ever noticed or called me out for balding. So luckily it's still unnoticeable to most people.

TLDR
Gained new growth on Hairline, and maintenance on crown . I consider that a success at the least.

TryingToJoin0

Reaction score
Thanks.

Really glad I didn't continue to avoid treatments like some other people and end up with a big NW3 or NW4. Didn't really know or recognize how bad my hairline was starting to look until the #2nd picture in the "before" album.

lell123

Reaction score
Dam i wish i had the hairline before u even went on big 3 :/

great progress nevertheless

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Great progress, thanks.

It seems you having a hairline similar to mine in that you have a lot of shorter hairs. Can I ask if these are new hairs growing or old hairs that have been impacted by male pattern baldness?

Rosa

Reaction score
Amazing progress, but should compare between same haircut and length. But amazing result!

TryingToJoin0

Reaction score
Great progress, thanks.

It seems you having a hairline similar to mine in that you have a lot of shorter hairs. Can I ask if these are new hairs growing or old hairs that have been impacted by male pattern baldness?

New hairs. I first started to notice them a month or two after starting treatments. Then they just kept growing more, and have stabilized.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
New hairs. I first started to notice them a month or two after starting treatments. Then they just kept growing more, and have stabilized.

Thanks for the response. That's similar me.

Can I ask how long they took to become "normal" hairs and did this take a few cycles? The shorter hairs on my hairline I think are improving but it seems to be taking a long time. Are you doing anything in particular for these hairs, such as rubbing minoxidil, derma rolling etc?

TryingToJoin0

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. That's similar me.

Can I ask how long they took to become "normal" hairs and did this take a few cycles? The shorter hairs on my hairline I think are improving but it seems to be taking a long time. Are you doing anything in particular for these hairs, such as rubbing minoxidil, derma rolling etc?
Honestly, I'd say they became normal around Mid February of this year . Haven't noticed any further growth or change on my hairline since. In terms of shedding, the only notable shedding I really noticed was when I started minoxidil in October. Shedding lasted for like 2 weeks IIRC and it felt like my crown had gotten worse. Haven't really noticed any shedding since(plus it's a lot harder for me to know at this point because I have longer and thicker hair ). but I'll definitely say that I haven't lost the new hairs on my hairline.

Nope, nothing special in particular. For minoxidil I just use 1ML of it and use it on the crown of my head, and just rub around it alittle. I use the liquid minoxidil and i dont use more than 1ML because

1. Don't want to use up the bottles as fast

2. Using more than 1ML makes my head itch even more

3. Get a lot more flakes. I did use it on the top of my head for like a few weeks, but stopped doing that because flakes, itching, and buildup on the top of my head.

Pretty much just stuck with the Big 3, and nothing else.