My Experience With Acetone And Lace

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I just had a bad experience with acetone. I had put some clear cutex on the front edge of my swiss lace hairpiece as it started to fray. I heard that clear cutex would seal the lace so I put some on the edge.. The cutex showed a bit (whitish ) and I wanted to remove it, so used acetone (cutex remover) after I detached, using a qtip on the lace edge...Noticed that my synthetic hair was just falling off the base. YIKES. Prior to using acetone I did a hair soak in acetone (with remains of cuttings) to be sure synthetic would not dissolve. (It did not)..not sure what happened..possibly a reaction to the kp pro lock product I used to prevent shedding...as hair was detaching from the base , not breaking midway...anyhow, ended up cutting about half a centimeter of edge to salvage the piece....
Just sharing my experience.
...Now i have a graduated hairline LOL

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I just had a bad experience with acetone. I had put some clear cutex on the front edge of my swiss lace hairpiece as it started to fray. I heard that clear cutex would seal the lace so I put some on the edge.. The cutex showed a bit (whitish ) and I wanted to remove it, so used acetone (cutex remover) after I detached, using a qtip on the lace edge...Noticed that my synthetic hair was just falling off the base. YIKES. Prior to using acetone I did a hair soak in acetone (with remains of cuttings) to be sure synthetic would not dissolve. (It did not)..not sure what happened..possibly a reaction to the kp pro lock product I used to prevent shedding...as hair was detaching from the base , not breaking midway...anyhow, ended up cutting about half a centimeter of edge to salvage the piece....
Just sharing my experience.
...Now i have a graduated hairline LOL
Thanks for letting us know about the acetone. I heard acetone won't damage lace base but I think I will just stay with C-22 and Walker lace release.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not just use 99% Isopryl Alcohol? It's a lot cheaper and still very effective.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not just use 99% Isopryl Alcohol? It's a lot cheaper and still very effective.
That's what I used for glue..but as mentioned I had put clear nail polish (cutex) to stop lace fraying and wanted to remove that with acetone (nail polish remover)

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Surgical spirit,olive oil or 99% isopro alcohol if I'm broke.

Otherwise C22 works much better but stinks.