My experience with a wig

shookwun

Reaction score
Iv'e been keeping it on the down low but as of last month I finally decided to give a hair system a ride for it's monies worth. I purchased a high definition system with a swiss lace base over at NorthWestLace, a leading website for purchasing great systems that are feasible. Like everybody I rely wanted to give it a try, and something that I can cross of the bucket list. Some of you already know that I have had two hair transplants, an am even contemplating such methods as micro pigmentation to cover my scar in the future, which evidently is now being fast forwarded to a couple weeks.

I did very thurough research and like everyone in mind, want the best they can find. Products, glues, and all maintenance chemicals came from hair direct.

The hair system itself is undetectable, but like anything we only hear about the good not the bad. Pictures are not a good analysis towards a hair system, and how they will contribute to your life style. They paint a 20% idea, and leave you wondering the next 80%. They look perfect in pictures, but I can tell you first hand that they are a lot of maintenance despite what people want to tell you. From my experience, having a semi full head I would be lucky to get a 5-7 day bond. By the fourth day my bond was already gummy, and wasn't fully secure. It was at the point where it would sit on my head, but if I put enough pressure, and pull I could gradually lift it off. However, it wouldn't just pop off, thats next to impossible. I could lift certain edges off, but some of the system would still be anchored on(where the glue was still secure). I was constantly fixing my hairline every other day with a top up of adhesive at the hairline because it would never stay fully flush. Being a perfectionist that I am, I just couldn't handle having a little lift that wasn't 100% secure. It will stay on, but I was constantly worrying at the back of my mind if people notice. I don't think I have ever went a day since I started wearing this wig, that I was not thinking if someone will notice. It's actually made me more self-conscious, and mirror conscious then before.

Every morning I wake up, and the system will have the appearance of something sitting on your head rather then blending in. it doesn't matter how good it's cut in, if you have a medium-short hair style the sides, and back will take on different characteristics. I got in the habit of constantly brushing my hair on the sides, and back before exposing myself to anybody including people I live with. I became much more bathroom oriented, and private in my life because of this thing. Hiding these glues, timing everything to make sure I can de, and re-attach under a certain time frame. Making sure the commuters, and people I live with aren't around, heaven forbid they were I was a wreck. The hair can never be short on the sides, and back and must consist of long lengths or else the hair will take on a very stiff, contribute to a bristle like feeling. The nature of my life, and line of work, a long style is not suitable hence I opted for a semi-short style with about 1-1.5 inch length all over. Even at this length it still feels stiff, and if someone where to stroke upwards, it could potentially lift my bond, and reveal lace. Part of the problem being that when you have to much hair on your head the bond will break down rather quickly; a mixture of sweat, and hair growth will break the best adhesives down in no time.

As for the life style, forget about thinking you can go weeks without a re, and de-attachment. I go to the gym everyday, and work in a job that involves wearing a hard hat. This creates many obstacles, despite my approach of wearing a bandanna, and applying loads of adhesives, and tapes. the bond still breaks down very quickly. Sweat is very corrosive, and is inevitable. Perhaps if you work in a office, and sit on your *** all day then this could work, but if you want to live your life then I can't see it being viable. Dust, and debris posed another obstacle that again would involve me having to clean the hairline with alcohol, and applying more glue. But then again, most of the time I never got to that point because I kept having to re-, and de-attach every 5-7 days with lot's of hairline touch ups in between. A lot of the time I would wake up in the morning and have to press down my bond because id get a lift in the back.

The hair quality is good but realistically you would need a longer hair style, and medium length for the hair to semi take on normal hair characteristics. Short cuts will look like a poofball that do not blend, and will look like somethings sitting on your head.

WOMEN:

This hair system has constantly made me worry about whether someone knows I'm wearing. Whenever I'm near someone I sometimes notice they will glance at my hairline which I never experienced before hand. The last few times Iv'e been with different women in the passed month it has been the first thing on my mind when we get intimate, and the last thing to leave. Instead of focusing my attention on my women, I'm worrying about how we make out, and positioning myself that I can somewhat pin their hands down while we make out during foreplay. it's almost 100% unavoidable for a women to not run her hands or grab the back of your head during sex. Every time Im with a women they seem to all use the head as leverage while making out, and the occasional hands run through the hairline. perfectly natural, but left me trying to dodge the movements. I'm constant;y worrying about the edge because despite how good I get the system on, by the second-third day the edge can be fealt. However, the beggining days it's great, because the bond is still secure, but even then if she wear to run her nails through the hairline she will clip the edge. I do feel this contributed to me having ED with one of the women I was with because I kept worrying about the hair instead of focusing on the person I was with. It's not viable in this situation, and forget having short hair if you want to have sex. the hair will be stiff, and bristtle like and will be a dead give away. Maybe if you had the 90s hairclub style mushroom cut, it wouldn't be less detectable, because the hair would have flow.

Attachments:

I don't believe I have ever had one good attachment since I started wearing. Folds, and creases constantly in the lace when I apply it down.

Overall it's just to much of a hassle, and quite frankly id rather have less density, and the ability to not care then always worrying about whether my bond is secure, and if my hair is styled correctly. Another problem being I'm constantly conditioning it all the time to maintain a semi-soft hair, and the hair poofs out because it doesn't take on natural hair characteristics. it literally falls down to this: either you stop worrying, or stop wearing. It's not an option for me, and I would rather have a thin head of hair, and not care then constantly worry. I'm now left in a situation where I have lied to myself, and others, but thankfully I had a full head of hair albeit the hairline being a little see through. This system has lead me to scheduling an operation of having SMP into my scar at the back of my head, followed by buzzing it all over.

It's not worth it if you still have a semi-full head of hair. A system will leave you in entrapment, because we associate a face, and hair with particular recognition. ..... good look trying to ditch it when people associate you in a certain way, it will become jail and something that defines you. Fred's dad is a good example of someone who hates wearing a wig, but is a slave to something he cannot get rid of. I'm fortunate in this regard that I still had a full head of hair, when buzzed most people won't notice. However, for those on the higher norwood scale there is no running away, because everyone will know! my father a former wearer fealt the same way. it became much more liberating to get rid of it, then be a slave to recognition.

We all want to look good for women, but this is one of the few instances I say unless you are bald I would not consider it.

Color density and appearance

Unless you get the factory to color it right then getting it professional dyed is the only way to get a life line on your piece. Need to have hair system formulated dye, not your local drug store crap. Its paramount you have a clinic that uses the right product. My first experience involved a bad dye job at a clinic. The dye made speck marks on the lace that looks like black dots.

Even with uv sun product the piece will oxidize which is why you must limit your activity in the sun or wear a cap. Those products are sh*t, that advertise uv protection. I bought an arsenal worth over at hair direct and found myself spraying every day 2x. Made no difference.

However, they do look realistic when attached correctly, and styled. in fact they look amazing.... a lot of maintenance, and effort in the process.

Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, sorry to read this.
I think the worse part of this attempt is that you had to be careful not to be touched on certain parts of your head during intimate moments. That must suck big time :-(

PS: however, to think of it, who is the balding person who likes being touched on their heads?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes it can cause much confusion, when all the sudden it becomes a downright hot and touchy/feely experience.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for detailing your experience. I can cross wigs off my list of potential solution when I go bald. I will focus on transplants and smp or just shaving my head.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
So fred was right

Exactly what I was thinking.

We have to give shookwun tons of credit though. The guy doesn't just moan and groan about hair loss, he tries solutions. Many guys on this board could learn a lot from a guy like that. Tried to give him rep, but I guess I need to spread some more around first.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I advice every hairloss guy atleast only one time in life try to wear a wig..and show the world how better you have looked if you have hair.

Just save money to waste for only few minutes of taking photograph..
But do it...

People say I am not good-looking..
Because hairloss makes them think like that.

I always tell them my face is so damn..I would have FCC u out of water...they say..I don't believe it..

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hats off to you, Shookwun, for detailling your experience. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

I'd still like to have the opinion of more experienced wearers such as Noah or Grincher. From what I've read, the first few months can be a particularly stressful moment but some wearers seem to spend much less time on maintenance once they get the hang of it. Maybe it's a matter of trying different adhesives and having an other style of cut-in to prevent the wig from fluffing up after the night? I'd like to believe it can work out fine for some people as to keep that option open for me if I ever need it.

Nevertheless, it's still a frustrating piece of feedback.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is touching up your hair system every couple of days really any worse than putting toppik in your hair, rogaine? What if you look absolutely dreadful with a shaved head but look decent with a hair system? It's a last resort choice after medications and transplants can no longer make you look presentable, but still, if it makes you look good, and it makes society not judge you as a bald man, then isn't it a better option than baldness?

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It will stay on, but I was constantly worrying at the back of my mind if people notice. I don't think I have ever went a day since I started wearing this wig, that I was not thinking if someone will notice. It's actually made me more self-conscious, and mirror conscious then before.

Yes this is exactly why I wouldn't ever consider one, but as you say, if a guys completely bald, it's an option. I would be freaking out about it being noticed, constantly.

However I take the fact that you go to the gym, and wear a hard hat all day long, (and did I read this right or do you work in an environment like construction or carpentry where there's dust and debris clogging up the glue?) I mean that could be crucial in why you had such a bad experience.

As for sex while wearing a wig, I didn't know that could exist until I came on this forum. I just assumed the game was up and time for the big reveal by that point, but hey-ho.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I thought you had a full head of hair. How did you even attach the system? Did you shave the entire NW6 section of your head?

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
^This was another thing I'm wondering about the results, when shooks mentioned having hair or pretty much, doesn't that effect how it holds? I wasn't previously aware of shooks hairline status.

But another question, shooks was it not incredibly obvious to everyone as soon as you wore it? When it came to hiding it from people. Like your hair... just changed, totally. Did you put a wig on that was identical to your own hair?

EvilLocks

Reaction score
This post made me cringe. I'm thankful you are honest but also petrified - because it's inevitable that a hair system is in my future. My worst nightmare is the piece partially of fully falling off. I just want to blow my brains out knowing that I must deal with this sh*t eventually.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
This post made me cringe. I'm thankful you are honest but also petrified - because it's inevitable that a hair system is in my future. My worst nightmare is the piece partially of fully falling off. I just want to blow my brains out knowing that I must deal with this sh*t eventually.

In my opinion, wig use and care is much much more spread and "tolerated" in the case of a woman.

I am an X-file fan and I do know that Scully (Gillian Anderson) has used a red hair wig for this year's season. Reason being she was losing hair for all treatment and could not be made red again.

Same goes for Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

On the contrary, I have never seen any man in Hollywood impersonating a man who uses wigs and is still cool.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I have volunteered this haunting piece of my personal history here on HairLossTalk.com before:

I wore a system for over 2 years.

I concur it was an unnerving decision, but it was not my worst.

Paradoxically looking back even now again I would categorically

rank it the first (best) preference in terms of judging"my lesser evil".

Fully exposing my full blown frontal hair loss comes in a narrow second.

and third and lastly is to shave it off and finally publicly betray my hideous scar;

the only telltale evidence I have left to show from a failed and former hair transplant procedure.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
In my opinion, wig use and care is much much more spread and "tolerated" in the case of a woman.

I am an X-file fan and I do know that Scully (Gillian Anderson) has used a red hair wig for this year's season. Reason being she was losing hair for all treatment and could not be made red again.

Same goes for Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

On the contrary, I have never seen any man in Hollywood impersonating a man who uses wigs and is still cool.

I know that a wig is more accepted as a woman, that's not what I worry about. I worry about the bond being so poor that the wig will partially or fully lift.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that a wig is more accepted as a woman, that's not what I worry about. I worry about the bond being so poor that the wig will partially or fully lift.

I understand. However, I think the two events are interwined, as in: if I'm a man and I lose my wig (or it gets displaced), it's one thing. If I'm a woman, it's different, as wearing a wig as a woman (with all the possible accidents) is seen more often.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Evil every experience is unique so I'll just speak to the understandable bonding concern you rightfully bring up.
I'll briefly recount one specific illustration which might assuage a legitimate future anxiety all 'pieceheads' generally confront sooner or later.

When I used to wear a partial piece (frontal) I used only adhesive strips to secure it.
I'll just say somewhere along my journey as a Wiglet I found myself unexpectedly in line at the gates of a local popular amusement park.

After spending a good 6-8 hours literally riding the park circuit from station to station,
our tired and contented troupe made it's way off the crowded premises with a total average of 6 internationally renowned roller coaster rides under each our belts. Needless to say the fun experience came off without a hitch.

shookwun

Reaction score
It's not for me.

I shaved my head into a nw6-7 everytime I de-attached.

I opted for a style that was similar but longer then my own. Before hand I had a crew cut with faded sides at around 1 inch on top. The system was about 2 inches all over.

I'm tired of the maitenance involved and always worrying. In fact I miss my own hair. Temple points are starting to grow in at 11 weeks, and I'm ecstatic of what's to come. I actally like the way I look with a buzz.

By hairline touch up I am referring to spot treating the system where the edge lit's. This may invlove a tooth pick with glue ot full on brushing in certain areas.

Vanity took over me, and I wanted more density. But at what cost?

Hair systems do work, but they are a lot of work. I don't want to make it seem like they are a bad alternative, but this is how I feel.

Systems work well for those in the bald advance stage like noah, and grincher, but for anyone who's below a NW3 it's a lot of work.

Yee u can go on vacation and do regular activities, but you will always have it on the back of your mind. Preparing each situation, and making sure your glues and everything are in order.

Many times I get out of the shower and my bind would be loose some where. Again, process of letting the scalp dry then applying a little bit of adhesive. Another reason why I say lower Norwood stay away at all cost. This is a high Norwood game who's willing to do a lot for hair.