My Experience (11 Days Taking Finasteride, 10 Days Off Now)

TGTS23

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 35 years old, married for 6 and have two kids, a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Me and Mrs. are very sexually active, I'm a bit of a dog, and we do the deed anywhere from 3-9 times a week. If she passes me by and rubs her *** on me I'm ready to go. I get hard day dreaming on the bus ride to work, while morning wood is not a 100%, but I'd say it is around 60-70%, occurence.

I have always had thin/fine hair. From 2-3 years back, I people started comenting I was going bald, mostly on the crown area. I went to a dermatologist and got prescribed minoxidil 5mg.

I was never able to maintain a good regimen with minoxidil. I didn't like the way my hair felt or looked (oily) after I applied it, which made using it after the morning shower not attractive, as I didn't want to look like that for work.

I work on a office all day, so sometimes when I get home I don't shower, so I didn't apply it at night either. So I gave up on it, and in my hair in general. I even shaved my head a few times to show people and myself I didn't care about being bald.

Last month, I think I got a bit of mid-life crisis, and started to really care about my hair again. I started searching online and founf a bunch of sites and discussions talking about how only finasteride really worked, and that the side-effects were overblown and the horror stories were scaremonegring. So I convinced myself of that and started taking a daily 1mg dose of the stuff. Here is the timeline:

Finasteride 1mg daily dose on the morning:

Days 1-3: Throbbing morning wood and great sex. I was thinking "see, this is actually making me work even better!"

Day 4: Started to notice I wasn't thinking about sex as much, could get erections fine when stimulated, but just wasn't as interested.

Day 5: Loss of fullblown erection to about 70-80% while having sex. Chalked it up to being tired.

Day 6-10: Libido tanked. Some anxiety, could bet 90% erection with stimulation, but lacked interest in sex. Ejaculation very thin. No morning woods. Convinced myself while surfing forums to "power through" the side effects, since I could get an erection, decided my symptoms where psychological and would fade once my body adapted.

Day 11: Mind-penis disconnect! Terrifying sh*t! Woke up bursting to piss, but my penis was completely deflated, and I couldn't feel it, it was like I was holding the urine at the base of the penis, whereas before the feeling would be more toward the center and tip, and I would have had a full blown erection. Freaked out. No libido. No penis sensation. Threw away the stuff. Freaking out more because of reading about post-finasteride sindrome. Praying to God and begging to be bald and horny instead of hairy and limp.

Recovery:

Days 1-2: Still freaking out, no improvement, trying to remain calm.

Day 3: Noticing some engorgement while urinating. Half hearted sex with wife. She keeps calming me down saying that she will love me anyways, but that this will pass.

Days 4-6: Libido increasing, penile sensation returning. Better sex. Still no morning wood.

Day 7-9: Morning wood! Relief, libido at 85-90%, erections at 95%.

Day 10: (Today) I feel like I'm, if not back to normal, at 95% in general, erections at 100%.

I will never touch the stuff again. f*** this! People should be really warned about this crap, this thing can ruin lives. These were one of the most anxiety filled 20 days of my life. Nothing in my teen years shook me up like this.

Hell I really would like not to be bald and have a nice head of hair, but in exchange to be a neutered limp dick?! f*** no!

I will hold out hope for something with stem cell, hope it will be somewhat more affordable than surgery.

And thats that people.

No scaremongering here, just an honest account from someone who was scared shitless of having poisoned myself for the rest of my life for vanity, that while not stupid in and of itself, was stupid at the potential risks and tradeoffs.

Again! Rather be bald and horny than hairy and limp!

Thank God I recovered so quickly, my sentiments go out to those on longer recovery journeys, that is an incredibly tough journey, stay strong!

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If men went to the doctor asking for a medication to give them ED the first medication the doctor would think of is finasteride. They would use it as a off label and say a side effect is hair growth.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 35 years old, married for 6 and have two kids, a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Me and Mrs. are very sexually active, I'm a bit of a dog, and we do the deed anywhere from 3-9 times a week. If she passes me by and rubs her *** on me I'm ready to go. I get hard day dreaming on the bus ride to work, while morning wood is not a 100%, but I'd say it is around 60-70%, occurence.

I have always had thin/fine hair. From 2-3 years back, I people started comenting I was going bald, mostly on the crown area. I went to a dermatologist and got prescribed minoxidil 5mg.

I was never able to maintain a good regimen with minoxidil. I didn't like the way my hair felt or looked (oily) after I applied it, which made using it after the morning shower not attractive, as I didn't want to look like that for work.

I work on a office all day, so sometimes when I get home I don't shower, so I didn't apply it at night either. So I gave up on it, and in my hair in general. I even shaved my head a few times to show people and myself I didn't care about being bald.

Last month, I think I got a bit of mid-life crisis, and started to really care about my hair again. I started searching online and founf a bunch of sites and discussions talking about how only finasteride really worked, and that the side-effects were overblown and the horror stories were scaremonegring. So I convinced myself of that and started taking a daily 1mg dose of the stuff. Here is the timeline:

Finasteride 1mg daily dose on the morning:

Days 1-3: Throbbing morning wood and great sex. I was thinking "see, this is actually making me work even better!"

Day 4: Started to notice I wasn't thinking about sex as much, could get erections fine when stimulated, but just wasn't as interested.

Day 5: Loss of fullblown erection to about 70-80% while having sex. Chalked it up to being tired.

Day 6-10: Libido tanked. Some anxiety, could bet 90% erection with stimulation, but lacked interest in sex. Ejaculation very thin. No morning woods. Convinced myself while surfing forums to "power through" the side effects, since I could get an erection, decided my symptoms where psychological and would fade once my body adapted.

Day 11: Mind-penis disconnect! Terrifying sh*t! Woke up bursting to piss, but my penis was completely deflated, and I couldn't feel it, it was like I was holding the urine at the base of the penis, whereas before the feeling would be more toward the center and tip, and I would have had a full blown erection. Freaked out. No libido. No penis sensation. Threw away the stuff. Freaking out more because of reading about post-finasteride sindrome. Praying to God and begging to be bald and horny instead of hairy and limp.

Recovery:

Days 1-2: Still freaking out, no improvement, trying to remain calm.

Day 3: Noticing some engorgement while urinating. Half hearted sex with wife. She keeps calming me down saying that she will love me anyways, but that this will pass.

Days 4-6: Libido increasing, penile sensation returning. Better sex. Still no morning wood.

Day 7-9: Morning wood! Relief, libido at 85-90%, erections at 95%.

Day 10: (Today) I feel like I'm, if not back to normal, at 95% in general, erections at 100%.

I will never touch the stuff again. f*** this! People should be really warned about this crap, this thing can ruin lives. These were one of the most anxiety filled 20 days of my life. Nothing in my teen years shook me up like this.

Hell I really would like not to be bald and have a nice head of hair, but in exchange to be a neutered limp dick?! f*** no!

I will hold out hope for something with stem cell, hope it will be somewhat more affordable than surgery.

And thats that people.

No scaremongering here, just an honest account from someone who was scared shitless of having poisoned myself for the rest of my life for vanity, that while not stupid in and of itself, was stupid at the potential risks and tradeoffs.

Again! Rather be bald and horny than hairy and limp!

Thank God I recovered so quickly, my sentiments go out to those on longer recovery journeys, that is an incredibly tough journey, stay strong!

Thanks for sharing man. Happy you fully recovered. Glad you recognized before it got worse!....your also lucky the wife is so cool.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well we have to say this was your experience: not anyone has had the same reaction.
There might have been some competing factors. Big problem is that you will never know if it is finasteride that really gave you ED. In doubt, you actually want to throw it away. Who wants to risk not being able to have sex?

TGTS23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well we have to say this was your experience: not anyone has had the same reaction.
There might have been some competing factors. Big problem is that you will never know if it is finasteride that really gave you ED. In doubt, you actually want to throw it away. Who wants to risk not being able to have sex?

Oh, I definitely acknowledge and accep that this was my experience.

But I am 100% sure it was finasteride that gave me this. I take no other medication and never had this problem before. Once I quit it, it went away, so I have no doubt in my mind it was caused by the drug.

I will never say anyone that takes it will have ED, as that is obviously untrue, a lot of people take and do fine.

You just never know how this will interact with your system though, and the risk is very real for you to damage yourself in a way that you will regret for the rest of your life. So I believe that warning people about this should be the duty of all involved in hairloss treatment, professionals and patients.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
and the risk is very real for you to damage yourself in a way that you will regret for the rest of your life.
Well, luckily for you, side effects subsided after a few days.
Keep in mind that some users complain that their side effects are permanent. There is a heated debate about this.

TGTS23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, luckily for you, side effects subsided after a few days.
Keep in mind that some users complain that their side effects are permanent. There is a heated debate about this.
Yeah, I was scared shitless on that.