my doctor's comment about Proscar and Propecia.

peterteg1999

Reaction score
I know that many of you buy proscar and cut it into 5 pieces, and save money...

But my doctor said you won't get the maximum effectiveness of the medicine inside. althought it is 5 mg vs 1 mg. (forgot what it called Fa something.)

It is just one of their marketing way to trick consumers.

Think about it. If a pill is made up of 5 mg, how are you sure that one piece will contain the exact amount of 1 mg of that medicine inside? what about equally divided 5 peices?

althought it works, and it saves you money. that he wouldn't recommand it, and he prescibe me propecia.

Also he said the drug only been out 5-6 years, no one really know what will happen 20-30 years down the road, cause no one had done it. He said it's has some side effect that has something to do with cancer(beside the sexually side effects)... I have no idea what, but when i heard cancer, it really scares me... but he said mostly likely u won't, but for some ppl who have bad medical history.. so he had me do a FSA(I am not sure, should go ask your doctor) blood test.

So you should do a blood test before you take propecia.. after 1 year or 2, do another blood test...

I really don't know. I am just giving you all the information i got from my derm.

Here is what kind of hairloss should take propecia...

If you look into the mirror and happy the way you look now... you should take propecia to stop hairloss, if you are already bold, or very thin hair, you should just do minoxidil..(has no side effects)

Give your opinion if you like... I am new to these.

I am currently taken propecia, minxo and nisim shampoo and lasercomb.

-------------------------------------------------

Also he said don't wash hair everyday, don't comb hair when wet, after wash your hair, wrap it with a towel

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
My doctor told me the same thing about dividing proscar. But I disagree with minoxidil not causing sides, it will. And if you are bald or thinning, minoxidil alone will probably help alot, but you will never get optimal results with just minoxidil, finasteride is still recommended.

Cassin

Reaction score
This makes no sense. They are made in huge vats and are mixed properly. How could the finasteride not be in their evenly? They aren't handmade pills one at a time on an assembly line. To assume it wasn't distributed properly, you would have to assume entire pills were missing finasteride while others had like 8mg. I and many others cut finasteride, it works. Your doctor is way off here.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i dont know about that Cassin

look at when you add sugar to koolaid......do yuo think there is the exact amount of sugar in all of the pitcher its in?

i have the idea that every square inch of that pitcher wont have the exact amount of sugar in it.

Cassin

Reaction score
I think there is quite a difference between multi billion dollar companies making drugs under FDA inspection for proper mixing than making kool-aid in your kitchen.

Look, again, were the pill not evenly placed with a specific component. How is it possible to ensure a pill has any drug in it at all? This is why each pill has 5mg and not one being 89mg and the next three in a bacth having zero.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well......i just dont understand how you can mix something together and get an exact amount in each pill when its being mixed in a vat in a factory..thats all.

thats like getting 5mg of sugar and mixing it with 5mg of salt then putting it in a 10 mg pill...........its almost impossible for half the pill to be exactly 5 mg of sugar and exactly 5 mg of salt to be in there........there would have to be an odd amount if mixed in a vat.

Axon

Reaction score
1. You are correct in the sense that it is impossible to get exactly 1 mg - in fact, I would suggest it is impossible to get EXACTLY 1 mg, even in Propecia! But let's not go into that sort of discussion - it's no different than saying a perfect circle cannot be achived.

2. It has been proven that there is very little difference between .5mg and 1mg in terms of 5-AR inhibition. If you get .89 mg one day and 1.06 mg the next, it will not make much difference at all.

3. Finasteride could potentially increase the severity of a tumor should one develop. IT DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER. Cancer is not a side effect and what your doctor told you is a sad function of rumor and misinformation.

4. Proscar has been available to the public since 1994. Fact. Undisputable. Merck has documentation on it from the 70's, but we won't go there.

Droppin' the knowledge on you fuckin' gay *** n00bs

wolfe

Reaction score
Cmon blue, the idea of a homogeneous solution is that it is uniform throughout (thats like grade 10 science). If you sat there and mixed koolaid for long enough and properly there would be equal parts sugar, koolaid mix and waterin every ml. Mixing salt and sugar is what would be called a heterogeneous solution, and would be different, the molecules don't bind. There might be a small chance that its not uniformly mixed in ever pill, but by Cassins logic, that would mean that some pills would contain 4mg others 7 etc. I doubt they'd let that occur.

Also Proscar has been on the market for 20 years, propecia is only 5-6 but its the same drug. By that alone I think your doctor might be a little missinformed on the whole subject.

Cassin

Reaction score
Well I was using very large and general ideas to make my point known. In all reality I could see the possibility of a batch being off by a tiny fraction but in terms of simply cutting it for our purposes, it is insignificant.

Axon

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Well I was using very large and general ideas to make my point known. In all reality I could see the possibility of a batch being off by a tiny fraction but in terms of simply cutting it for our purposes, it is insignificant.

Agreed. :)

peterteg1999

Reaction score
I am not sure about the misinformation that my doctor provided to me, but if you asked me if i take your information or my doctor's? guess what everyone else going to pick?

For the cancer thing, like i didn't say propecia will cause cancer, it has something to do with cancer or tomor in medical terms, which i don't exactly know. That is why i said you should go ask your doctor. Not trying to give you mis-information here.

dispite the fact of what it can really do to me, I think i still going to take the risk... bold at age 25 is like cutting one of my arms off.

After taken propecia for almost 2 months, i can really feel the sexually side effects it does to me... I am really worrying that it will slowly decrease the my sperm counts, which make it very tough to make babies or maybe intelligence babies in later years.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i was just trying to make the point that they cannot be exact .....sorry if i got anybody affended.
BTW koolaid was the first thing that came to my mind....sorry for the bad analogy.

Axon

Reaction score
peterteg1999 said:
I am not sure about the misinformation that my doctor provided to me, but if you asked me if i take your information or my doctor's? guess what everyone else going to pick?

Here? We're not big on doctors. We'll take our high-end data-addled opinions which are specific to this condition. :) We've run doctors out of here before, we will do it again. But feel free to take his word - however, allow me to suggest that some research on your own will reveal who is on point and who is not. I am not questioning the man's skill.

peterteg1999 said:
For the cancer thing, like i didn't say propecia will cause cancer, it has something to do with cancer or tomor in medical terms, which i don't exactly know. That is why i said you should go ask your doctor. Not trying to give you mis-information here.

No one is accusing you of anything. :) Indeed you did not say it causes cancer; I simply added the specifics to what you were getting at. Amibigious statements about a "side effect having something to do with cancer" are misleading and they need to be tighter. You must understand, people here are VERY fearful of side-effects and are easy to scare. Clinical data does very little to appease the situation.

I stressed that it does not cause cancer because it is far too easy to put 2 and 2 together in that equation. There are many lurkers and we don't want to scare them, do we?

peterteg1999 said:
dispite the fact of what it can really do to me, I think i still going to take the risk... bold at age 25 is like cutting one of my arms off.

Same here. I refuse to be bald so I take the drug.

peterteg1999 said:
After taken propecia for almost 2 months, i can really feel the sexually side effects it does to me... I am really worrying that it will slowly decrease the my sperm counts, which make it very tough to make babies or maybe intelligence babies in later years.

Finasteride has never been proven to do anything to sperm. (The content, not the texture. :puke:) However, if you feel you need a "boost," so to speak, try L-Agrinine or Mega Man Multi-Vitamins.

Cassin

Reaction score
peterteg1999 said:

Where exactly did you hear that taking it will decrease Sperm counts? Watery semen, if that is what is going on, does not mean lower Sperm counts whatsoever.

"Intelligence babies in later years"

Not sure I follow with this one. Do you mean to say that somewhow the babies brain will not funsction normally after you taking Propecia?

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
peterteg1999 said:
Actually, this one's easy. Your particular Doctor may be a great guy, but he's not really into hair loss. If he was, he'd tell you about the studies that show the human body was not sensitive to slight variations in finasteride dose, where results and sides are concerned. And if there are any mixing problems, they would not affect one fifth of the pill any more than they would affect the whole pill. They don't mix the materials at the single pill level, they mix them in large containers.

avri

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
I think there is quite a difference between multi billion dollar companies making drugs under FDA inspection for proper mixing than making kool-aid in your kitchen.

LOL :lol:

True just a little difference