My Derms Recommendation On finasteride/dutasteride.. Thoughts?

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey

I just had a dermatologist’s appointment about myself taking 0.5 dutasteride daily. He said that over the next 6 months, I should wean off of dutasteride as I should see the same results with finasteride. I took finasteride for a year when I was 17, and moved on to dutasteride because I felt my crown was getting a little thinner (may or may not have evaluated that correctly at the time). dutasteride has held me pretty well, however I would obviously feel more comfortable taking a drug that has had much more research regarding hair loss.

My question is, has anyone seen results with taking dutasteride eod, once a week etc, mixed with finasteride? I just want to gather some experiences of others to see generally what the most effective dosing schedule is.

Cheers

inmyhead

Reaction score
It's kinda hard to answer your question, but I saw someone claiming that they took duta two times a week and had results.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What Norwood level are you? If you are Norwood 3+, my suggestion is to use dutasteride. It has been proven that dutasteride is more powerful than finasteride and that it grows more hair. If you are Norwood 2 or lower, I suggest you use finasteride and see how it goes. If you find that you are losing ground on finasteride, then switch to dutasteride.

If you choose to use dutasteride, just use it on its own rather than combining it with finasteride. If you don't want to take dutasteride at the dose of once a day, you could take it every other day instead, which will still be more effective than any dose of finasteride.

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What Norwood level are you? If you are Norwood 3+, my suggestion is to use dutasteride. It has been proven that dutasteride is more powerful than finasteride and that it grows more hair. If you are Norwood 2 or lower, I suggest you use finasteride and see how it goes. If you find that you are losing ground on finasteride, then switch to dutasteride.

If you choose to use dutasteride, just use it on its own rather than combining it with finasteride. If you don't want to take dutasteride at the dose of once a day, you could take it every other day instead, which will still be more effective than any dose of finasteride.
You don’t think a routine of 3 dutasteride a week mixed with finasteride on those off days would help at all? I felt finasteride helped my hairline more while dutasteride helped my crown. I’ve read a few stories about taking finasteride combined with dutasteride, but I’m just trying to get some updated experiences and info on it.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You don’t think a routine of 3 dutasteride a week mixed with finasteride on those off days would help at all? I felt finasteride helped my hairline more while dutasteride helped my crown. I’ve read a few stories about taking finasteride combined with dutasteride, but I’m just trying to get some updated experiences and info on it.
Most guys who use dutasteride just take it once a day. If you want a lower dosing scheme, you could try every other day. As I mentioned, it is best just to drop the finasteride completely once you switch to dutasteride. You won't gain anything extra by taking finasteride alongside it, and it also isn't known if the two drugs may interact or interfere with one another in some way.