My decision to abandon Propecia...

Durandel

Reaction score
Today I have been considering whether to go onto Propecia or not. I took it for many years without any obvious ill effects, but I have felt much better/more energetic since I stopped (end of last year). After some research I've decided that systemic DHT suppression is not a a price worth paying for clinging on to my hair. I was convinced by the following information:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone)
While DHT is known mostly just for male pattern hair loss and prostate problems, it is crucial to virilization and is necessary to mitigate estrogen's effects in men. [...] The function of this enzyme in the brain is still unclear.

(http://www.maxmuscle.com/index.cfm?fa=a ... _nutrition)

"Yes, Propecia does prevent DHT conversion in the muscles," advises Dr. Abraham Kryger, creator of the prescription brand Testocreme® topical testosterone and a noted lecturer in the field. "Propecia or finasteride is an enzyme blocking agent," says the Monterey, California physician and author of an upcoming book on the topic. "It prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT, which plays a crucial role in both sex drive and the growth of muscle tissue. Since DHT is responsible for muscle-building at the receptor level, it does not help to have testosterone available if it cannot be used. Many men have plenty of testosterone but cannot build muscle because it is not available. The reason sex drive is suppressed with Propecia is the same...... less DHT." Though Propecia has prevented millions from hair loss, research finds that Propecia does prevent testosterone conversion to muscle and may even inhibit sex drive.

I'm sure this is old information to you guys, but I didn't really know that much about DHT before today and for me this was pretty shocking. I thought I'd share the info with others, just in case there's anyone else here who hadn't realised how fundamental DHT actually is.

Durandel

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
FDA says it's safe, good enough for me!

Just saying it's passed safety tests doesn't mean it is without downsides. Safe, in that long term use probably won't kill or incapacitate you, is not the same as saying it's harmless. As shown above, DHT has known critical functions in the human body - it's not produced by your body simply to f*** up your hair. Therefore inhibiting your DHT production has much wider effects than reducing hair loss.

Now I know what some of these effects are, and I think it's too high a price. It's an individual choice.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
FDA said Vioxx was safe also in 1999 for Merck. How'd that turn out?

Felk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you don't need to worry about DHT in your muscles or brain when on finasteride - there is both type I and type II DHT, and finasteride only affects type II. I'm pretty sure type II is only found in hair follicles and sex organs (which develop under it's influence)

Type I is the one which is found in the brain. There's been plenty of talk about this on this forum before, about taking dutasteride (blocks type I as well), the effect on the brain, etc

Durandel

Reaction score
Regards muscles:
"Yes, Propecia does prevent DHT conversion in the muscles," advises Dr. Abraham Kryger, creator of the prescription brand Testocreme® topical testosterone and a noted lecturer in the field.
Regards brains:
The function of this enzyme in the brain is still unclear.
Furthermore:
... it is crucial to virilization and is necessary to mitigate estrogen's effects in men.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Im willing to sacrifice a few extra brain cells for my hair. No problem at all!

Felk

Reaction score
Does that doctor back up those statements with any sort of evidence?

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure in 50 years or so, all of us current generation baldies will be called barbaric, the futuristic norwoodies will laugh at us, "they use to take propecia" muwhahahah "they purposefully nuked their hanging berries" mwuhahaha cheerio.. and pip pip..they will be british of course.

Right now, for a non surgical procedure, it's basically the best we have, and it does actually work. Personally And this is based on no scientific intelligence whatsoever, I would imagine those who take it and experience no side effects are relatively safe, Those of us who do, are in a different boat. But when you take it your making a conscious decision that this drug could be having adverse effects on your body, who knows what it could do to you, in 10, 20 , 30 years, we take that risk if we deem it's worth it, your hair is either worth that much to you or it isn't.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Eureka said:
, who knows what it could do to you, in 10, 20 , 30 years.

True. No one really knows the long term side effects. In essence we are the guinea pigs. Oh well.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Im willing to sacrifice a few extra brain cells for my hair. No problem at all!

hmm,you didnt exactly have many to start with though.............sorry,couldnt resist :woot: