My Crown Recovery After 2.5 Years On finasteride

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was 19 when I started noticing my hair getting kind of thin. By 21, I had a bit of a bald spot situation on the crown. Hopped on finasteride. It's 2.5 years later, I'm 24, and here are the results of finasteride.

The before picture had really long hair. The second picture taken today is a few days after a super short haircut. For both photos I found the most severe lighting I could find, so they're pretty honest representations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.22.40 PM.png
    954 KB · Views: 3,741
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,719

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice results! When do you think the treatment reached its maximum effectiveness?

I'm guessing around now. Over 2.5 years it's gone through great increases and some pretty severe sheds, but it's definitely started to level off in the last 6 months.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice results man! I had similar crown thinning to you and I’ve thickened it up in just 1.5 months with propecia and rogaine however I kind of wish I just waited to see if propecia alone would have done the trick... rogaine is seriously a huge chore!!!

Do you think you’ve hit your original thickness? That’s my goal right now I guess

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm guessing around now. Over 2.5 years it's gone through great increases and some pretty severe sheds, but it's definitely started to level off in the last 6 months.

Did you shed anywhere other than your crown? im on month 7/8 on finasteride and im losing hair on the top of my head where previously there was no hair loss.

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice results man! I had similar crown thinning to you and I’ve thickened it up in just 1.5 months with propecia and rogaine however I kind of wish I just waited to see if propecia alone would have done the trick... rogaine is seriously a huge chore!!!

Do you think you’ve hit your original thickness? That’s my goal right now I guess

Congrats on the gains! Keep it up. I agree, rogaine or any topicals besides shampoo just seem like too much effort to me. I tried using it for a couple weeks and stopped; just let finasteride take control.

I do think my crown and top of my head are back to virtually complete thickness. My hairline has stabilized, but it's still not fantastic I'm not sure it ever will be. Although I hopped on finasteride before it really got bad I'd say.

Did you shed anywhere other than your crown? im on month 7/8 on finasteride and im losing hair on the top of my head where previously there was no hair loss.

I probably started thinning on top a bit before getting on finasteride, but I didn't really notice that compared to my awful crown. I think it's thickened up on top since. I haven't really noticed a problem there, so I'm likely not the best of help. Hope you get success in your regrowth though!

PerfectHairline

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was 19 when I started noticing my hair getting kind of thin. By 21, I had a bit of a bald spot situation on the crown. Hopped on finasteride. It's 2.5 years later, I'm 24, and here are the results of finasteride.

The before picture had really long hair. The second picture taken today is a few days after a super short haircut. For both photos I found the most severe lighting I could find, so they're pretty honest representations.
It looks like completely different heads
Not the same guy

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks great! How long would you say it took for you to know for sure that finasteride was working for you? I am only 3 months in and I believe I am going to be a non responder from what ive seen so far.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a really good example of regrowth. Hair is shorter in the after pic but still noticeably thicker. None of that fugazi length illusion bullshit

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks great! How long would you say it took for you to know for sure that finasteride was working for you? I am only 3 months in and I believe I am going to be a non responder from what ive seen so far.
I was 3 months in on Finasteride and regrowth and shedding. Then next month shedding stopped, & regrowth hair stronger, darker, longer. And new little hairs coming in looked a little funky at 4 months, but I was happy stuff was happening. 6 months filling in thin in places but hair all over head. Better as time progressed. At a year, full head of curly long hair. Generally results can start 4-6 months or a year or longer. Mine were fast results and at age 57! People say I look more like 35 or 40 on a tired day. Almost 60. No grey. Be patient and adding another regimen or 2 seems to speed things up. Hair growth starter, antiinflamatory and scalp massage. My quick results were with Finasteride alone. Commonly people start seeing changes 6-12 months. But can happen faster or take longer. Keep the faith. Good positive attitude has helped me respond quickly to cancer treatment and survive. Most any health regimen went well quickly. Medical teams were amazed. Exercise or being fit going in heightens metabolism things happen quicker. I was a body builder instructor and taught the mind body connection and focus for fast gains. I also did professional massage, including scalp massage with returning clients with improving hair restoration results. For me it seemed painfully slow at first, but after I started seeing major results at 6 months I stopped examining so closely every day. Note: photo above is not me--I am curl max.

Last edited:

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My first year was a roller coaster. A co-worked complimented me on my hair after 8-10 months after starting Finasteride and I remember telling him that I didn't know if my hair was coming or going. I was on a constant cycle of shed and grow. It wasn't until about a year or a little bit more, that I really noticed that the shedding stabilized and by the second year my hair was noticeably thicker. My hairline and temples took a little hit compared to baseline but I would have lost a lot more even if I didn't start treatment anyway. My crown grew enough thick hairs that I was able to get decent coverage.

Good luck!

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
That was about my cycle. After 6 months when I was showing progress, even though there was still a little or more shedding, I was just happy things were happening and I started relaxing out a bit. I could deal with this. I had coverage, thin in places more full elsewhere, but new stuff growing in. If it got better fine. Back to normal full hair now at 1½ year after treatment start. At a year in was pretty normal. Not as thick as now.

Last edited:

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results, did you use generic or brand name finasteride(propecia)?

Bob Dylan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just now noticing some of these comments, and I didn't want them to go unappreciated. My apologies for not getting to them sooner.

This is a really good example of regrowth. Hair is shorter in the after pic but still noticeably thicker. None of that fugazi length illusion bullshit

Thank you! Yes, I try to take photos when my hair is shorter so that folks on here get the real idea. It doesn't do anyone any good to try to cover up. Appreciate you noticing!

Great results, did you use generic or brand name finasteride(propecia)?

I used generic. If you live in the United States, I would suggest getting generic Finasteride filled at Walmart. I kid you not, it's $9 for what amounts to 120 doses. They give you 30 pills, but they're 5 mg, and I cut them into quarters. It's the best deal ever. In 3 years, I've probably spent about $60 on my hair (if you don't count shampoos, which I don't use anything too fancy).