My Concerns About Getting A Transplant In The Future.

Grentthealien

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I seen a Dermatologist last month and she prescribed me Propecia. I am 2 weeks in so far with no sides effects(knock on wood). As I understand Propecia is better at maintaining hair you already have than growing it. I have thick long hair with a full head of hair on my crown. The only thing that has really happened to me is that my hairline is now higher than what I want it to be so I’m thinking about maybe getting a minor transplant After I get through one year of Propecia, but I have several concerns.

1. What if the I get a Transplant at the front, but the in the future someday the Propecia loses its effectiveness? Would I need to get a 2nd transplant for my vertex?

2. If so would it be wise to make sure I have as much donor hair left as possible just in case that happens? Would settling for a more dense Mature hairline instead of a juvenile leave more left over in the donor area?

3. Is the difference between FUT and FUE significant? I don’t want any scarring so I am thinking about getting a FUE, but I want to also get as much density as I possibly can.

4. And finally is 21 years old too young to get one? Should I wait another 5 or 10 years before getting one?

In short those are all my questions. My goal is to have a long term successful transplant.The most I can even contemplate me ever getting is 2 transplants, but ideally I’d like to achieve my goal with one transplant. Anyway,if someone would be gracious enough to take some of their time to address some of my concerns it would be much appreciated:)

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wait until you are 25 and then see how things are. It's good that you went on propecia, chances are you'll keep what you have.

Josiah Schaffer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with the post above me.

I went for a consultation at 19. They told me to come back after 25. I didn't go on finasteride at the time. Big mistake. I saw the before and after photos and it was crazy how much I had lost.

I went on finasteride for two years and finally got a transplant at 27. Definitely give finasteride sometime to work. At least three years. You may not need a transplant till your mid 30's. Just get it stabilized brother and be patient :)

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I seen a Dermatologist last month and she prescribed me Propecia. I am 2 weeks in so far with no sides effects(knock on wood). As I understand Propecia is better at maintaining hair you already have than growing it. I have thick long hair with a full head of hair on my crown. The only thing that has really happened to me is that my hairline is now higher than what I want it to be so I’m thinking about maybe getting a minor transplant After I get through one year of Propecia, but I have several concerns.

1. What if the I get a Transplant at the front, but the in the future someday the Propecia loses its effectiveness? Would I need to get a 2nd transplant for my vertex?

2. If so would it be wise to make sure I have as much donor hair left as possible just in case that happens? Would settling for a more dense Mature hairline instead of a juvenile leave more left over in the donor area?

3. Is the difference between FUT and FUE significant? I don’t want any scarring so I am thinking about getting a FUE, but I want to also get as much density as I possibly can.

4. And finally is 21 years old too young to get one? Should I wait another 5 or 10 years before getting one?

In short those are all my questions. My goal is to have a long term successful transplant.The most I can even contemplate me ever getting is 2 transplants, but ideally I’d like to achieve my goal with one transplant. Anyway,if someone would be gracious enough to take some of their time to address some of my concerns it would be much appreciated:)

Post photos of your situation or can't help