My "balding At 18" Rant (long Post)

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
No other way to start this off besides saying this is truly UNFAIR. I get it. In comparison to the whole world, I've been very blessed in my life. I'm conscious of that and truly grateful. But everything is relative, and relative to my direct peers I am currently massively f*****g disadvantaged. I'm 18 alright, almost 19. Little over a year ago I was graduating high school, rocking a fresh cut with thick hair, hardly paying any mind to it. Today, I'm a NW1.5 hairline or something with a diffuse NW6 pattern. I honestly can't believe how quickly this disease can take over of you. No one even begins to think about balding at this age. First, it was a couple hair's on my test paper. Then it was all over my hands in the shower. Ok. No big deal. I just got off some medication, it has to be Telogen Effluvium that I was just noticing now. I mean who balds at 18? Then came the temples. I looked over some sites and convinced myself it was just a maturing hairline. I've known for a long time that I most likely had the balding gene(s). Both my grandfathers are bald, and so are both my uncles. Hell, even one of my grandmothers has really bad female pattern baldness. But still, who balds at 18? They all didn’t, not until their 30s at the earliest. I convinced myself that I couldn't be in that 1%. How could I be that inferior? A side note, I believe this is one of the main problems with discussing this disease with people who don't have it (or aren't yet affected by it) and one of the holdups on finding a cure: solipsism. If you aren't affected it's because you actively participated in not developing it, you have superior genes because of your own conscious choices, or you're God's gift to the Earth, so there's no way that will ever happen to you (especially if you have nice hair to begin with). Although now I can no longer see how other men can attack others on hair loss when for all they know they could start balding tomorrow, I thought this way for 9 months until reality caught up with me as I looked in the mirror.

So, for the past 3 1/2 months I've been on finasteride (and Nizoral every 3 days). Watery semen in the first couple of weeks, but besides that no side effects. Nice. Too bad my hair is a complete sh*t show. With how much I've been losing I'm honestly shocked I have any left. I know there's a debate here and elsewhere as to whether finasteride causes a shed but it honestly seems like it leans towards no, it does not, in which I honestly wouldn't be surprised. If I'm balding at 18 my hair loss is already super aggressive, right? Maybe it just ramped up even further around the same time I got on finasteride? My only option is to continue this for the 1 year everyone states. I want to add minoxidil, but that really does have a shed and it might literally make me go bald (an exaggeration, I know, but the shed is still a legitimate fear).

Now let’s talk social issues. I’ll preface this and say that if I was the only person left on Earth, I would still care about balding. I’m a pretty boy. I love hair. I love how you can grow it out, cut it short, change it up and express your personality with it. Really it is quite a fitting aesthetic feature for humans. Anyways. Obviously attracting girls is a big f*****g issue for all of us, but even more so I want to be attracted to myself because that can affect so much more. I remember in junior high seeing some posts on Facebook where girls would say “we don’t do our makeup for boys, we do it for ourselves”. At the time I thought it was complete bullshit. It still sort of is. Girls do in fact put on makeup for boys. Guys do care about their hair to impress girls. But even more so I truly believe we all care about our appearance primarily for ourselves. Self-image is so important for mental health. It’s actually crazy when you think about it, we’re all just brains operating a sack of meat we had no control in producing. The attractiveness of these bodies is honestly one of (if not the) most important thing in life. People can deny that all they want, but really deep down we all know it’s true.

Being bald isn’t a complete death sentence, I understand that. I actively search out and see bald guys with at least decent looking girls. But for virtually everyone, it will knock you down at least a couple numbers, and without the proper facial genetics already in place, it will even more (it also doesn’t help that most young, bald men I see seem to have entirely given up on having any other form of style). It can really be a traumatizing experience for men and society has to accept that. I can’t imagine the pressure on celebrities. Look at Bieber, in the past little while his hair has started to go and now he grew it out and wears hats everywhere. I’m sure he’ll be fine with transplants and finasteride/dutasteride but can you imagine the social media shitstorm if news of his hair loss became mainstream?

Anyways I’m 18 and this is my reality. And I’m all alone. There is no one I can actually discuss this with besides those online. I tried talking to my Mom early on, but she denied any change. Since then I guess I’ve paid more attention to the word “bald” in conversations and often hear her and my sister discuss how they “just don’t like bald men”. I talked to my Dad about it and at least he could admit it was an issue. His solution? “Well not much you can do about that bud, just gotta accept it”. Easy to say when you’re almost 60 with basically a full head of hair. One of my best friends has probably the thickest hair I’ve ever seen for his type (white guy with blonde/brownish hair). It truly is his best aesthetic feature and he sure knows it. So, I can’t discuss it with him. Aside from him, all my other male friends have perfectly fine hair, as they should at this age. If I tried, all I would get is a “damn that sucks bro” and open myself up to everyone knowing I’m balding and all the “jokes” that will come with it. I can’t talk to my girl friends about it. They can relate even less, plus I always hear them say (about other, older guys) “yeah he was cute until he started balding haha”. Honestly I can’t blame them. That Prince William comparison photo was f*****g ruthless but it was the truth. At least girls seem to be bad at noticing it until it’s at least a NW3 lol. I want to have an honest talk with a dermatologist about if Accutane could have accelerated it for me (I took it for 2 months) but they seem disrespected that I insulted the one drug that lets them keep their job and shoo me out the door with a finasteride prescription, without even attempting to discuss the possible side effects, mind you (besides one who also tried to sell me viviscal ffs lol). At the end of the day I can’t speak to anyone about how this affects me, although I’m ashamed of it and honestly wouldn’t even want to.

There’s more that I thought about through the day that I’m forgetting, but I’m satisfied with getting this off my chest. Today was my worst day in a while. Props to any of you who actually read this, and good luck in your fight.

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
No other way to start this off besides saying this is truly UNFAIR. I get it. In comparison to the whole world, I've been very blessed in my life. I'm conscious of that and truly grateful. But everything is relative, and relative to my direct peers I am currently massively f*****g disadvantaged. I'm 18 alright, almost 19. Little over a year ago I was graduating high school, rocking a fresh cut with thick hair, hardly paying any mind to it. Today, I'm a NW1.5 hairline or something with a diffuse NW6 pattern. I honestly can't believe how quickly this disease can take over of you. No one even begins to think about balding at this age. First, it was a couple hair's on my test paper. Then it was all over my hands in the shower. Ok. No big deal. I just got off some medication, it has to be Telogen Effluvium that I was just noticing now. I mean who balds at 18? Then came the temples. I looked over some sites and convinced myself it was just a maturing hairline. I've known for a long time that I most likely had the balding gene(s). Both my grandfathers are bald, and so are both my uncles. Hell, even one of my grandmothers has really bad female pattern baldness. But still, who balds at 18? They all didn’t, not until their 30s at the earliest. I convinced myself that I couldn't be in that 1%. How could I be that inferior? A side note, I believe this is one of the main problems with discussing this disease with people who don't have it (or aren't yet affected by it) and one of the holdups on finding a cure: solipsism. If you aren't affected it's because you actively participated in not developing it, you have superior genes because of your own conscious choices, or you're God's gift to the Earth, so there's no way that will ever happen to you (especially if you have nice hair to begin with). Although now I can no longer see how other men can attack others on hair loss when for all they know they could start balding tomorrow, I thought this way for 9 months until reality caught up with me as I looked in the mirror.

So, for the past 3 1/2 months I've been on finasteride (and Nizoral every 3 days). Watery semen in the first couple of weeks, but besides that no side effects. Nice. Too bad my hair is a complete sh*t show. With how much I've been losing I'm honestly shocked I have any left. I know there's a debate here and elsewhere as to whether finasteride causes a shed but it honestly seems like it leans towards no, it does not, in which I honestly wouldn't be surprised. If I'm balding at 18 my hair loss is already super aggressive, right? Maybe it just ramped up even further around the same time I got on finasteride? My only option is to continue this for the 1 year everyone states. I want to add minoxidil, but that really does have a shed and it might literally make me go bald (an exaggeration, I know, but the shed is still a legitimate fear).

Now let’s talk social issues. I’ll preface this and say that if I was the only person left on Earth, I would still care about balding. I’m a pretty boy. I love hair. I love how you can grow it out, cut it short, change it up and express your personality with it. Really it is quite a fitting aesthetic feature for humans. Anyways. Obviously attracting girls is a big f*****g issue for all of us, but even more so I want to be attracted to myself because that can affect so much more. I remember in junior high seeing some posts on Facebook where girls would say “we don’t do our makeup for boys, we do it for ourselves”. At the time I thought it was complete bullshit. It still sort of is. Girls do in fact put on makeup for boys. Guys do care about their hair to impress girls. But even more so I truly believe we all care about our appearance primarily for ourselves. Self-image is so important for mental health. It’s actually crazy when you think about it, we’re all just brains operating a sack of meat we had no control in producing. The attractiveness of these bodies is honestly one of (if not the) most important thing in life. People can deny that all they want, but really deep down we all know it’s true.

Being bald isn’t a complete death sentence, I understand that. I actively search out and see bald guys with at least decent looking girls. But for virtually everyone, it will knock you down at least a couple numbers, and without the proper facial genetics already in place, it will even more (it also doesn’t help that most young, bald men I see seem to have entirely given up on having any other form of style). It can really be a traumatizing experience for men and society has to accept that. I can’t imagine the pressure on celebrities. Look at Bieber, in the past little while his hair has started to go and now he grew it out and wears hats everywhere. I’m sure he’ll be fine with transplants and finasteride/dutasteride but can you imagine the social media shitstorm if news of his hair loss became mainstream?

Anyways I’m 18 and this is my reality. And I’m all alone. There is no one I can actually discuss this with besides those online. I tried talking to my Mom early on, but she denied any change. Since then I guess I’ve paid more attention to the word “bald” in conversations and often hear her and my sister discuss how they “just don’t like bald men”. I talked to my Dad about it and at least he could admit it was an issue. His solution? “Well not much you can do about that bud, just gotta accept it”. Easy to say when you’re almost 60 with basically a full head of hair. One of my best friends has probably the thickest hair I’ve ever seen for his type (white guy with blonde/brownish hair). It truly is his best aesthetic feature and he sure knows it. So, I can’t discuss it with him. Aside from him, all my other male friends have perfectly fine hair, as they should at this age. If I tried, all I would get is a “damn that sucks bro” and open myself up to everyone knowing I’m balding and all the “jokes” that will come with it. I can’t talk to my girl friends about it. They can relate even less, plus I always hear them say (about other, older guys) “yeah he was cute until he started balding haha”. Honestly I can’t blame them. That Prince William comparison photo was f*****g ruthless but it was the truth. At least girls seem to be bad at noticing it until it’s at least a NW3 lol. I want to have an honest talk with a dermatologist about if Accutane could have accelerated it for me (I took it for 2 months) but they seem disrespected that I insulted the one drug that lets them keep their job and shoo me out the door with a finasteride prescription, without even attempting to discuss the possible side effects, mind you (besides one who also tried to sell me viviscal ffs lol). At the end of the day I can’t speak to anyone about how this affects me, although I’m ashamed of it and honestly wouldn’t even want to.

There’s more that I thought about through the day that I’m forgetting, but I’m satisfied with getting this off my chest. Today was my worst day in a while. Props to any of you who actually read this, and good luck in your fight.

I’m feeling your pain man. I started balding at the same age as yourself and it really sucks badly coz it saps your confidence with women.. From my point of view you have 2 choices 1 ignore and accept. 2 Fight It with every thing you have..

I chose to fight hairloss and it ended up being a 20 year battle that I won. When I was your age and I realised I was balding there was no internet,propecia,minoxidil and transplants were terrible plugs..

So at least you have a lot of weapons to actually fight hairloss with.. If you treat hairloss very early you have a good chance of holding it at bay for a long time.

Be prepared to have hair transplants later on keep up with your medications and keep yourself updated with modern breakthroughs in hairloss and don’t be afraid to try new things.

Good luck mate I hope you can overcome this setback.. You can do it

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m feeling your pain man. I started balding at the same age as yourself and it really sucks badly coz it saps your confidence with women.. From my point of view you have 2 choices 1 ignore and accept. 2 Fight It with every thing you have..

I chose to fight hairloss and it ended up being a 20 year battle that I won. When I was your age and I realised I was balding there was no internet,propecia,minoxidil and transplants were terrible plugs..

So at least you have a lot of weapons to actually fight hairloss with.. If you treat hairloss very early you have a good chance of holding it at bay for a long time.

Be prepared to have hair transplants later on keep up with your medications and keep yourself updated with modern breakthroughs in hairloss and don’t be afraid to try new things.

Good luck mate I hope you can overcome this setback.. You can do it

Thanks man, I really appreciate the reply. That's awesome that you made it out so well! I totally agree, I see so many people put it off and then choose to fight it when it's getting too late. I'm happy with when I started fighting it but I'm concerned about the lack of progress. Do you have any recommendations for me? I feel like I've crossed the biggest hurdle so far with starting finasteride. I guess minoxidil? What are you currently using?

Reactions: Emu

Alex_325

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know that your reasoning is 100% accurate and i couldnt agree more as i myself am in the exact same situation.

I cant stop thinking about how this sh*t is a curse. Literally every single person i know has perfect hair at 20 yrs old like me,yet i am already half bald,the left side of my head has basically no density. I am also thinning in my sides,i've got super agressive hair loss for my age.

Receding at 20 yrs old is already rare,but diffuse nw6 with basically only 40-50% density left on top is like a pipe dream.

Literally this single fact is consuming all my will to live,how is this f*****g sh*t possible? My dad was a NW1 at 35 years old so was his brother. Lets not even get to the other ones.

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that this is affecting you so severely. Some of your thoughts echo mine at times and I was lucky enough to not really have to deal with this until after college.

I would suggest giving minoxidil a try; set aside the fear of the shed it causes. When I first started minoxidil I had a pretty severe shed.. there were hairs everywhere. However, after the initial shed, it rewound my clock by at least 2 years. Add in microneedling too, it seems to ease the hairloss itch and really boosts the results you get from minoxidil. Just be sure to sterilize your dermaroller/stamp every time before and after use.

Don't give up, science is moving fast.. and hair isn't everything in life.

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I really appreciate the reply. That's awesome that you made it out so well! I totally agree, I see so many people put it off and then choose to fight it when it's getting too late. I'm happy with when I started fighting it but I'm concerned about the lack of progress. Do you have any recommendations for me? I feel like I've crossed the biggest hurdle so far with starting finasteride. I guess minoxidil? What are you currently using?

It sounds like you are doing everything right so far. I would get on minoxidil if I were you the big 3 should be able to hold what you have at this present moment..

Hi highly recommend oils as well. I use olive oil on my hair 3 times a week it conditions the hair and if using nizoral shampoo it will fry your hair but the oils make the hair look healthy and can thicken the hair.

Research all the top hair transplants surgeons in the world because eventually propecia can not work as well if you have aggressive hairloss and you might have to have a transplant. Good luck

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know that your reasoning is 100% accurate and i couldnt agree more as i myself am in the exact same situation.

I cant stop thinking about how this sh*t is a curse. Literally every single person i know has perfect hair at 20 yrs old like me,yet i am already half bald,the left side of my head has basically no density. I am also thinning in my sides,i've got super agressive hair loss for my age.

Receding at 20 yrs old is already rare,but diffuse nw6 with basically only 40-50% density left on top is like a pipe dream.

Literally this single fact is consuming all my will to live,how is this f*****g sh*t possible? My dad was a NW1 at 35 years old so was his brother. Lets not even get to the other ones.

I know right? It all happens so fast it really just feels like a nightmare. I just feel like there has to be an explanation as to why mine (and yours) is ao aggressive. I started puberty at 12. How can DHT just suddently start attacking the follicle so severely at 18? It doesn't make sense

Sorry to hear that this is affecting you so severely. Some of your thoughts echo mine at times and I was lucky enough to not really have to deal with this until after college.

I would suggest giving minoxidil a try; set aside the fear of the shed it causes. When I first started minoxidil I had a pretty severe shed.. there were hairs everywhere. However, after the initial shed, it rewound my clock by at least 2 years. Add in microneedling too, it seems to ease the hairloss itch and really boosts the results you get from minoxidil. Just be sure to sterilize your dermaroller/stamp every time before and after use.

Don't give up, science is moving fast.. and hair isn't everything in life.

Thanks for your advice. I know hair isn't everything, and I'm positive about other areas of my life, but I still want to fight as hard as I can against balding. I'll look into microneedling for sure, I hear some people have lots of success with it.

It sounds like you are doing everything right so far. I would get on minoxidil if I were you the big 3 should be able to hold what you have at this present moment..

Hi highly recommend oils as well. I use olive oil on my hair 3 times a week it conditions the hair and if using nizoral shampoo it will fry your hair but the oils make the hair look healthy and can thicken the hair.

Research all the top hair transplants surgeons in the world because eventually propecia can not work as well if you have aggressive hairloss and you might have to have a transplant. Good luck

Thanks for your advice. I'll give an oil a try, I also hear good things about castor oil. For sure I'll need a transplant someday but I am 18 I'm just trying to get through college first lol

Reactions: Emu

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Man you are in a good position as you have spotted it so early; i was Norwood 2 + with noticeable crown thinning at 18 before i started to think about treatments, i took my thick hair for granted and didn't pay enough attention to it. I eventually decided to not go through with treatments and just accept it. I was told i had a face to pull off balding(dark eyebrows, decent facial hair etc). I changed my mind when a girl that i liked ghosted me after making several comments about my hair in the past(she was very attracted to me physically otherwise lol) This showed me how important hair is

Started propecia and minoxidil on my 19th birthday and haven't looked back since. In 2 years, my hairline and hair thickness has maintained and my crown has improved a lot. I still get hair envy of my pals all the time but it helps to know im doing all i can. I hope it works out for you man.

Feel free to pm me too btw, I'm not an expert of the science behind hairloss at all but always willing to offer practical advice

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A male balding at 19 in 1976 was horrible. No cures just snake oils this man was my brother. And it bothered him tremendously. His only choice back than a hair piece. Which he passed away in. . Balding sucks the younger u are the worse is is but a young man balding today is not screwed anymore. Better treatments are here today. And more are closer than ever hang in there lower finasteride dose and see if that helps try minoxidil. And sit back and try and relax. Save your donor hair and money you will have the chance to.get your hair back before your 25

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man you are in a good position as you have spotted it so early; i was Norwood 2 + with noticeable crown thinning at 18 before i started to think about treatments, i took my thick hair for granted and didn't pay enough attention to it. I eventually decided to not go through with treatments and just accept it. I was told i had a face to pull off balding(dark eyebrows, decent facial hair etc). I changed my mind when a girl that i liked ghosted me after making several comments about my hair in the past(she was very attracted to me physically otherwise lol) This showed me how important hair is

Started propecia and minoxidil on my 19th birthday and haven't looked back since. In 2 years, my hairline and hair thickness has maintained and my crown has improved a lot. I still get hair envy of my pals all the time but it helps to know im doing all i can. I hope it works out for you man.

Feel free to pm me too btw, I'm not an expert of the science behind hairloss at all but always willing to offer practical advice

Yeah I'm scared for when the girls start finding out (maybe they already have and I'm waiting for them to tell me). Random side story, before I left for college last year my best girl friend told me as a joke: "You better not start balding while you're away haha". I laughed and said "Well I don't have much choice in that do I?" A couple months later it turned out we were both right :(

But anyways, thanks a lot for your advice. I'm glad I'm at least not alone in this and that you've found success maintaining. I'll PM a couple questions.

A male balding at 19 in 1976 was horrible. No cures just snake oils this man was my brother. And it bothered him tremendously. His only choice back than a hair piece. Which he passed away in. . Balding sucks the younger u are the worse is is but a young man balding today is not screwed anymore. Better treatments are here today. And more are closer than ever hang in there lower finasteride dose and see if that helps try minoxidil. And sit back and try and relax. Save your donor hair and money you will have the chance to.get your hair back before your 25

Wow, that is really unfortunate for your brother, I can't even begin to imagine the struggle back then. Also, why do you suggest I lower my finasteride dose?

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm scared for when the girls start finding out (maybe they already have and I'm waiting for them to tell me). Random side story, before I left for college last year my best girl friend told me as a joke: "You better not start balding while you're away haha". I laughed and said "Well I don't have much choice in that do I?" A couple months later it turned out we were both right :(

But anyways, thanks a lot for your advice. I'm glad I'm at least not alone in this and that you've found success maintaining. I'll PM a couple questions.

Wow, that is really unfortunate for your brother, I can't even begin to imagine the struggle back then. Also, why do you suggest I lower my finasteride dose?
Thank.you on my.brother. When he passed from a brain aneurysm 3years ago. I saw him onife support and one of.the things I also. noticed was, and only.a.fellow hair loss sufferer would noticed. Was all the tubes and plugs from life support wrapped around his hair piece making it look horrible. I had the nurses fix it right away. Anyways. I mentioned to u to try a lower dose of.finasteride first was.because others.in here have said it can be just as.effective. And less.chance of.sides for u being u are so young. Best of.luck to.u. ..

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
only one thing to do and you already know it, get on the big 3, nizoral, finasteride and minoxidil. shedding? you're "shedding" aka balding anyways lol. don't make the same mistake i did and get on it too late, its much harder to regrow than it is to maintain. in the meantime you need to save up for a hair transplant, theyre thousands of dollars

PM me if you want support, i was balding at 17, i got on the big 3 too late and now i'm bald at 24. it sucks.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to have "pretty boy" looks, girls would come on to me all the time and say i looked like an anime character (i can't remember which ones now, don't really watch it) i had pale skin, a young looking face and straight black hair that flopped over my face. the look wasn't for every girl but i had no real problems

when that hair went away in my early-mid 20's, the guys didn't really treat me that differently other than feeling sorry for me; but the difference in the way girls treated me was shocking. say at a dinner i was just invisible. no laughing at my jokes yet my friend who was hot with wavy blonde hair could say the lamest things and girls would just be smiling at him. conversations ignored or just one word answers. whereas before i would chat about anything. so i barely go out any more.

i am on finasteride and i was on spironolactone and even a tiny dose of estrogen now and again for a bit i was that desperate. i came off spironolactone and estrogen because it was growing breast tissue and i realised it was just going too far. it did regrow a lot of hair, i reckon if i stayed on it, it may have given me a thick Norwood 2, but i didn't fancy having a pair of titties. even on all that, my sex drive only dropped to about a third of what it normally is (fap once every 3 days instead of daily)
i am still on finasteride now, every so often i think about going back on spironolactone and estrogen and just having surgery to remove titties. but the scary thing is who knows what it might be doing to my fertility.

that is how badly baldness can mess you up, that you are willing to completely change what makes you male.

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
only one thing to do and you already know it, get on the big 3, nizoral, finasteride and minoxidil. shedding? you're "shedding" aka balding anyways lol. don't make the same mistake i did and get on it too late, its much harder to regrow than it is to maintain. in the meantime you need to save up for a hair transplant, theyre thousands of dollars

PM me if you want support, i was balding at 17, i got on the big 3 too late and now i'm bald at 24. it sucks.

Yeah you're right. Guess I just have to snatch by Dad's Costco card so I can get some of that cheap Kirkland minoxidill. I still need to get through college right now haha no real money to save up for a transplant so I'm just hoping finasteride can hold me over until then.

At what age did you get on the big 3 if you still went bald at 24?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah you're right. Guess I just have to snatch by Dad's Costco card so I can get some of that cheap Kirkland minoxidill. I still need to get through college right now haha no real money to save up for a transplant so I'm just hoping finasteride can hold me over until then.

At what age did you get on the big 3 if you still went bald at 24?
do your research, theres generic "hair regrowth" treatment thats minoxidil still, comes in 2% and 5% just like brand name rogaine, theyre usually the cheapest.

and i was balding diffusely in a nw6 pattern at 17, by 21 i was bald. i got on rogaine immediately but i didnt get on finasteride until like 18 and a half or 19. the rogaine helped keep my hair presentable a year or two but i quickly lost the gains. and the propecia only maintained a very very thin layer of hair. i got off all of it at like 21 after being on them for 2 years

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
do your research, theres generic "hair regrowth" treatment thats minoxidil still, comes in 2% and 5% just like brand name rogaine, theyre usually the cheapest.

and i was balding diffusely in a nw6 pattern at 17, by 21 i was bald. i got on rogaine immediately but i didnt get on finasteride until like 18 and a half or 19. the rogaine helped keep my hair presentable a year or two but i quickly lost the gains. and the propecia only maintained a very very thin layer of hair. i got off all of it at like 21 after being on them for 2 years

Well sounds like I'm on a pretty similar trajectory tbh and that's terrifying :(. Guess I'll start minoxidil asap and pray

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well sounds like I'm on a pretty similar trajectory tbh and that's terrifying :(. Guess I'll start minoxidil asap and pray
its more important to get on finasteride, that attacks the actual cause of the baldness, the dht. yes, theres also the matter of your follicles being sensitive to the dht, but finasteride attacks the cause a lot more directly than minoxidil. your best bet for avoiding baldness is maintaining with finasteride. minoxidil is better for regrowth but only in the short term. of course you should get on it as well but just pointing out that propecia is the more important of the big 3

nizoral isnt even really that important, but is traditionally included because of this one japanese study finding regrowth and the fact that its good for the scalp health and cheap.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score