My Bad finesteride and minoxidil experience:

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
I've been on finesteride 1mg every day for about 6 years and minoxidil for about 1 1/2 years.

I've been happy with the way my hair looks. I was able to keep the top and back of my hair but have a receding hairline look.

My problem is is that I've been DRASTICALLY tired at work. And that is no good since I'm a RN and have to be mentally alert at all times. I've noticed a tired trend for about 3 years with progression. Severe brain fog, depression, and have a hard time speaking sometimes. I have a "detached from reality" feeling, and have a hard time recalling short term memory. These symptoms come and go throughout the day, usually progressing toward the end of a work day.

My manager has been up my ***, so I've done everything I could to figure out what the hell was going on with me. Until one day I said, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" as a joke. But thAT got me thinking. I was wondering if finasteride and minoxidil had side effects that weren't well advertised and that brought me here. I find many people like me here.

I'm off both the minoxidil and finesteride for the past 2 days. I'm not sure if it has helped yet because it's the weekend and I notice the side effects more at work when I need to be mentally alert. I've exercised....hell I've even been riding my bike to work to jump start my brain.

Does this sound like anyone else's story? Am I on the right track here? I HAVE had an MRI of my brain a few years back because of these symptoms plus a strange tingling sensation on my back. The MRI was negative. I plowed through life living with these symptoms until now. I am face to face with these symptoms and they have to stop!

Anyone with any advice to get my life back on track and minimizing the shedding effect?

I AM willing to go bald to get my brain and alertness back. Thank you.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the minoxidil won't be causing it, you can stay on that.

quit finasteride for a month and see if it makes a difference.

T

Timi

Hello Layneroxxx

I am 10 Years with finasteride and 15Month dutasteride
(dutasteride Quit )

I have all the same side effects
Point by point

with dutasteride was it more badly
i am warning for dutasteride that is not worth it
20Years Old Men take dutasteride thats Insanity

Timi

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
flimflam said:
the minoxidil won't be causing it, you can stay on that.

quit finasteride for a month and see if it makes a difference.

I guess I forgot to mention the dizzy spells that I have been having lately too.

It's frustrating. I cut back to 1 ml at night and still had dizzy spells the next day. Anyone notice an increase in dizzy spells when adding finasteride to their regimen? Does finasteride contribute to dizziness?

Thanks.

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
Timi said:
Hello Layneroxxx

I am 10 Years with finasteride and 15Month dutasteride
(dutasteride Quit )

I have all the same side effects
Point by point

with dutasteride was it more badly
i am warning for dutasteride that is not worth it
20Years Old Men take dutasteride thats Insanity

Timi

and you still take them? Wow...i'm just waking up to the fact that these meds could be causing these symptoms and I don't think I can live with them.

I'm 33 btw, started finasteride around 27 and all my hair is intact or maybe fuller from then mostly except maybe around the temples. My hair also is darker. (also btw, I take fincar split in 5 and kirkland minoxidil) I've experienced no sexual side effects or man-boobs. It's funny I haven't experienced the most common REPORTED side effects . . .

Pondle

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to blame finasteride for your fatigue problems... this side effect has never been recorded in a Proscar or Propecia trial. It was recorded in the 6 month Avodart hair loss trial, but occured more frequently in the placebo group than the treatment group, which is very revealing! :lol: I would look at other aspects of your lifestyle before blaming finasteride. Besides, you seem to have had no fatigue problems for the first three years of use? :?

T

Timi

Pondle said:
I don't think it's fair to blame finasteride for your fatigue problems... this side effect has never been recorded in a Proscar or Propecia trial. It was recorded in the 6 month Avodart hair loss trial, but occured more frequently in the placebo group than the treatment group, which is very revealing! :lol: I would look at other aspects of your lifestyle before blaming finasteride. Besides, you seem to have had no fatigue problems for the first three years of use? :?

trial :oops:
Money Money Money

Timi

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
Pondle said:

I was expecting a post by you Pondle. I think I'm a little more qualified to make medical interpretations than you.

I'll inform you that I have NO other lifestyle aspects that would contribute to the symptoms that I have reported. I've scoured for them. I do everything to eliminate them. I've had a full work-up and have counselled with my doctor and doctors and nurses at work. I have read the information that you have cited. I've had discussions and tests with neurologists.

I'll assure you that I have left no stone unturned and I have read your statement and I kindly ask you to make that your last statement in my post as I have no further use of your distractions for my purpose of my post.

Thanks.

and as an ending statement, I would point that physiology changes over time. Hormone levels change over time, and medications that affect hormone levels may/will affect you differently over time.

T

Timi

I think here many Postings from
Glaxo and Pfizer People :!:

this side effects in ouer Board
are very high frequent

Year by year it becomes more badly
The body changes
Brain achievement becomes weaker

Timi

Pondle

Reaction score
Layneroxxx said:
I was expecting a post by you Pondle. I think I'm a little more qualified to make medical interpretations than you.

Okaaay... I don't think I've made an 'interpretation' so much as just cited the data from the trials!

I've never claimed any specific expertise in biochemistry or pharmacology (although my GF has an MPharm, any queries and I just ask her!) All I do is to try to read the studies and make some logical deductions, as far as I'm able. The forum is all about exchanging views and sharing knowledge.

I'll assure you that I have left no stone unturned and I have read your statement and I kindly ask you to make that your last statement in my post as I have no further use of your distractions for my purpose of my post.

Bit tetchy aren't we? :shock: What drugs you take or don't take are your choice buddy! If you don't like what I've said for some reason, I can assure you that it wasn't meant to offend. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timi said:
I think here many Postings from
Glaxo and Pfizer People :!:

I think here many postings from half-wit hypochondriac.

Timi said:
this side effects in ouer Board
are very high frequent

50 or so people out of ... how many?
Timi said:
Year by year it becomes more badly
The body changes
Brain achievement becomes weaker

So before you started finasteride, you were an articulate intellectual force to be reckoned with?

Now look at you!

Merck bastardssssssssssss !!!

T

Timi

we continue to speak in ten years
with dutasteride user in a Mental hospital

i was one of the first in Germany takes finasteride

5Years later i have see the side effects year for year more
i Post this in ouer Page
many User have smiled Hypochonderid........

today more and more finasteride User comes to 3-5 Years with finasteride

that smile is past
and the Postings from the side effects more and more and all the same
that i say for many Years
more and more take finasteride 0,25mg the side effect to mutsch

dutasteride have Quit nearly all

and here is all good???
Oh No
That is Money Money

Timi

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
Thanks Pondle for turning this into YOUR post, just like other posts I've read.

I was upset when you showed up because I KNEW it was going to turn my post into yours.

So, if you are going to stick around even after I asked you nicely not to then answer me this question:

YES OR NO: Are you saying that, with my symptoms, that I shouldn't take into consideration the only medications that I take? That I shouldn't consider stopping the medication to see if my symptoms subside?

It's been my medical experience and teaching to FIRST explore and eliminate possible medication causes.

YES or NO? If you can not first start off with a yes or no, then please refrain from posting.

Pondle

Reaction score
YES!

Sorry that was childish, but you did want me to start my reply with either a yes or a no! 8)

Layneroxxx said:
Thanks Pondle for turning this into YOUR post, just like other posts I've read.

I was upset when you showed up because I KNEW it was going to turn my post into yours.

Sorry? This is a forum. If you don't want to exchange views, then don't post on a forum, start a blog.

So, if you are going to stick around even after I asked you nicely not to then answer me this question:

I'm sorry, but you were just so rude to me fella! If you don't like what I say, ignore it. This is a forum and loads of guys post their two cents. I do have robust discussions but I try to avoid pointless flame wars. I'm sorry if you have a personal problem with me, what I can say? Not everyone gets on. :)

YES OR NO: Are you saying that, with my symptoms, that I shouldn't take into consideration the only medications that I take? That I shouldn't consider stopping the medication to see if my symptoms subside?

Sure, if you feel that stopping finasteride will be of benefit, go for it. All I'm saying is that fatigue and brain fog weren't recorded in the trials. That's not interpretation, that's a statement of fact. If you want a genuine medical opinion, there's always Bill Rassman.

Tallinn

Reaction score
You have been a little harsh with Pondle, what he said is true. There is hundred of reasons why a person can be tired and yet you blame it on propecia, because one day you think: " Ha yeah, it probably because of the Propecia I am so tired ( not because I have to go sleep at 3am every night because I need to study)". As a doctor, you know that you need to analyze the whole situation, before making an idea of what the person is suffering.

To answer your question, get ready to lose some hair once you stop taking the pills, there is no way to really stop the shed, you could try to take some saw palmetto pills, not strong like propecia, but it might slow it down.

Good luck.

Layneroxxx

Reaction score
Pondle said:
I don't think it's fair to blame finasteride for your fatigue problems... this side effect has never been recorded in a Proscar or Propecia trial.

http://www.drugs.com/ppa/finasteride.html

Miscellaneous

Proscar : Asthenia (5%).

Asthenia is listed as a side-effect for proscar which is finesteride 5mg. HERE is the definition:

http://www.cancer.gov/Templates/db_alph ... drID=44787 :

Weakness; lack of energy and strength.

http://www.answers.com/topic/asthenia?cat=health :

Loss or lack of bodily strength; weakness; debility.

Sorry, I should have said the word asthenia when I was referring to my original statements.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Layneroxxx I can certainly relate your concern and postings how finasteride is making you tired. Honestly I feel desame way and just started taking finasteride two months ago. As a professional athlethe I have a very active lifestyle and has always felt energetic everyday. Now I'm sleeping way more than normal and that feeling of always being tired. When I go to gym its like I don't have that energy as before, I went to my dermatologist couple weeks ago and he indicated me that a lot of his patients reported desame side effects but wasnt discovered according to the propecia studies. I'm sure there a lot of sides that are not reported or discovered ,Like shedding. I'm going to stick out for a year and hopefully this doesn't continue. Whats ironic is whenever you report a side on propecia on this forum that is not on the propecia handbook or wasnt discovered in the studies,they think its all in your head or your just imagining it. Sometimes I wonder if their are any merck employees in this forum.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Two things to say.

First, I got tired on finasteride. When I went onto dutasteride, the tiredness went away.

Secondly...

TIMMAAHHH!

timmy.jpg

Timi said:
we continue to speak in ten years
with dutasteride user in a Mental hospital

Please tell me this is a joke? :lol:

Pondle

Reaction score
Asthenia is listed as a side-effect for proscar which is finesteride 5mg. HERE is the definition:

http://www.cancer.gov/Templates/db_alph ... drID=44787 :

The Proscar product monograph cites data from the MTOPS which shows little difference in incidence of asthenia between the treatment and placebo groups.

Placebo Doxazosin Finasteride Combination
(n=737) (n=756) (n=768) (n=786)
Adverse Experience (%) (%) (%) (%)
Body as a whole
Asthenia 7.1 15.7 5.3 16.8
Headache 2.3 4.1 2.0 2.3

Sorry I meant to take a pic of that table and post it, but I can't find the snapshot tool in this document (damn)! Anyways, the first figure (7.1%) refers to the placebo group and the third (5.3%) to the Proscar group.