my answer to a newbie's minoxidil question

CCS

Reaction score
I took the time to type it, so I'm posting it here.

Using more minoxidil will probably get better results because it is spread better. But using too much can lead to systemic absorption. You will know you have systemic absorption if you grow hair elsewhere or get a fast heart rate or puffiness in places. You may style your hair how you want 30 minutes after applying generic minoxidil. Some gel might decrease absorption rate a little, but it also may prolong the absorption time. Minoxidil looks like you have gel in your hair, but can look greasy if the hair is patted down with it. Gel can look greasy the same way.

I don't buy dr lee's for two reasons: price, and fear of systemic absorption. I also suspect the fast drying stuff might go into the blood more than the blood vessels of the scalp.

It is like pouring water over a sponge. Pour it slow, and the spung absorbs it. Pour it fast, and some runs off it. And once it is full, more water runs off it. Minoxidil is the water, and the blood vessels are the sponge, and the run of goes systemic. Only studies can say how much and how fast the vessels absorb the minoxidil. Maybe lee's is fine, maybe it puts too much in too fast.

The reason you must wait 8 hours before applying more could be because the vessels are still saturated enough that it would "run off" if applied sooner, or it could be that you only get more therapudic effect from minoxidil if you space your doses out, and not have a 17 hour gap and an 7 hour gap.

The reason you need to wait 4 hours is be because that is when it finally stops giving you more. You can get 75% as much in 2 hours. Minoxidil 2% finishes its load even faster. I'm not so sure about that 75% number, but just the consept that the vast majority gets in long before it dries up.

It should be wet at least 30-45 minutes.

Lee's quick drying is more like 15 minutes, I heard.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks, College. That clears up some things I was wondering about.

I already hate this stuff but I realise it's neccessary. Are there any studies on its long-term effects on the system? Pouring alcohol and various chemicals over your head twice a day for years on end must have some kind of effect, especially if you are a system wide absorber. I'm just wondering what to expect.