My 5 year old daughter is losing her hair

Zoesmot

Reaction score
Hi my name is Heather and I have a 5 year old daughter named Zoe. She has recently began to lose her hair at what I think is at a rapid rate. She used to have full thick hair and now its so thin and frail. I have taken her to her pediatrician and she seems to think that Zoe is under stress and this is causing her to lose her hair. I think that it is more then stress. I believe that my daughter may be suffering from a form of alopecia. I have an appointment with a dermatologist next week and hope that I can get some answers soon. I'm really just looking for some support because while I know its not life threatening its so traumatic for her and me. All I can do is cry when she asks me why her hair keeps falling out. I'm lost so please help!

Reaction score
Is there any history of alopecia in your family? Do you have hairloss, your daughters dad? etc

It's really rare that it will be alopecia at such young age.

Best of luck with her!

Saphire2

Reaction score
My daughter started losing lots of hair at about 3 years old, I saw a doctor, trichologist and dermatologist. They said she seemed healthy otherwise so we're not very concerned, they said it could have been telogen elluvium and that all that would help is time. Her hair thickened up again in a few months but now we are experiencing it again she is nearly 4 now :-(. I expect I'll get the same response from the doctors if I go again.