My 11 years on finasteride

andy_mac87

Reaction score
After 11 years, I’m at the end of my time on finasteride. I thought I’d share my story in case it helps others, as I know reading these helped me a lot when I was deciding what to do. Sorry it’s so long!

The problem

At around aged 21 I started noticeably thinning on top. My brother is nearly 3 years older than me and totally bald so I knew what I had coming. I’d get teased by friends, and my girlfriend of 7 years left me for someone else, so I was already depressed and not really ready to deal with balding too. The worst thing about balding so young is that girls your age aren’t used to it either, whereas I imagine when they’re in their 30s dating a bald guy isn’t that odd. I remember finally picking up the courage to chat to girls again, and one joked about my hairloss, everyone laughed and I felt sh*t, and it knocked my confidence back a long way. I’m sure you all know the feeling. I just wanted to kick the can 5 years or so down the road until I was better prepared to deal with hairloss. I never liked the idea of messing with my hormones long term.

The solution

I went to see a hair transplant guy. Not sure why but they advised finasteride instead. It would have cost me £50 a month or there abouts which I couldn’t really afford as a student. I did loads of research online, much of it on here, and I decided to get finasteride (I have always had Fincar) which I bought on United Pharmacies. I had about 5 month’s supply for £30 delivered to the UK.

Over the years i also used InHouse Pharmacy. Never had any problems with either.

I divided the 5mg tablets and took 1mg a day. About 4 years in I realised I could have 1mg every other day and still maintain.

I decided the risks were worth it because i feel that people are more likely to be vocal when they’re not happy – I’m more likely to write a review for a bad experience at a restaurant than a good one, I think that’s human nature. So I supposed there was an element of that in what you read about finasteride; the guys who got on fine with it just got on with life and didn’t tell anyone, the ones who had problems would always be on the forums. Also, correlation is not causation. Yes you’re depressed, but would you be depressed if you weren’t taking finasteride? How do you know the drug is the cause? Also if you convince yourself the medication is going to make you feel sh*t, then your mind will make you feel sh*t

The outcome

I kept my hair! In the first 3 month’s a lot grew back too. It was a lot thicker, people even noticed, only my temple area didn’t seem to improve. I was really happy. Over the 11 years my hair probably hasn’t changed. I can’t say there were any noticeable side effects.

However in 2016 I had a near death experience in which my face and right hand were hit with a microlight propeller. Consequently I’ve been left with a red 5 jnch scar on my face and some weakness to my upper lip. Also have an ugly skin graft on my hand. I’ve had loads of treatment which hasn’t improved the appearance of my scars. Obviously they make me have low self esteem and self conscious. I was just dating a girl at the time and she stuck by me through it all which showed me how amazing she is, and I eventually decided to marry her. It sounds awful but part of that decision was because I think a lot of girls would be put off dating a guy who looks like he’s been knifed, so I just couldn’t go back to dating again and I’d convinced myself she’s the one. I’m mentioning all this because it muddies the water regarding finasteride effects on my mental health.

The aftermath

3 or so years after the accident and I felt like I’d mentally recovered. But over the last 2 years or so I’ve really noticed that I suffer with generalised anxiety, low self-esteem and fatigue. I can also become irritable and angry. I realised all this can be linked to low testosterone levels so I took a test which showed I was at the low end of normal. Again, correlation is not causation but had years of finasteride gradually made these changes to my mental health? I’m less inclined to think it was the accident because I only started noticing it more recently.

Also, I think I have a less androgenic appearance than I should. I’m 33 but people guess I’m around 24. Sounds great but it’s not, especially as people assume I’m inexperienced in my work. I can’t grow muscle, have a hard time shifting fat, can’t grow a beard, have a tiny jaw, and don’t behave in an androgenic manner – like I’m not decisive and assertive. Could these be because I was taking finasteride while I was developing? Who knows, but my brother is quite the opposite.

The future

So I’m getting married in 2 months, then hope to have children after. I thought the wedding would be a good time to stop. I’d appreciate some help, and I know I need to research, but I didn’t want to come off instantly. I figured this could mess with my body and I’d rather shave my head and lose my hair more slowly so it’s not quite as obviously. I thought about taking 1mg twice a week for a few months, then one a month for another 3.

Is it really important to be off if trying for a baby too?

If you got this far, well done. I hope that’s been of some interest. If I had my time again I would still take finasteride, but maybe stop after 5 years. Who knows. Good luck to you all

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After 11 years, I’m at the end of my time on finasteride. I thought I’d share my story in case it helps others, as I know reading these helped me a lot when I was deciding what to do. Sorry it’s so long!

The problem

At around aged 21 I started noticeably thinning on top. My brother is nearly 3 years older than me and totally bald so I knew what I had coming. I’d get teased by friends, and my girlfriend of 7 years left me for someone else, so I was already depressed and not really ready to deal with balding too. The worst thing about balding so young is that girls your age aren’t used to it either, whereas I imagine when they’re in their 30s dating a bald guy isn’t that odd. I remember finally picking up the courage to chat to girls again, and one joked about my hairloss, everyone laughed and I felt sh*t, and it knocked my confidence back a long way. I’m sure you all know the feeling. I just wanted to kick the can 5 years or so down the road until I was better prepared to deal with hairloss. I never liked the idea of messing with my hormones long term.

The solution

I went to see a hair transplant guy. Not sure why but they advised finasteride instead. It would have cost me £50 a month or there abouts which I couldn’t really afford as a student. I did loads of research online, much of it on here, and I decided to get finasteride (I have always had Fincar) which I bought on United Pharmacies. I had about 5 month’s supply for £30 delivered to the UK.

Over the years i also used InHouse Pharmacy. Never had any problems with either.

I divided the 5mg tablets and took 1mg a day. About 4 years in I realised I could have 1mg every other day and still maintain.

I decided the risks were worth it because i feel that people are more likely to be vocal when they’re not happy – I’m more likely to write a review for a bad experience at a restaurant than a good one, I think that’s human nature. So I supposed there was an element of that in what you read about finasteride; the guys who got on fine with it just got on with life and didn’t tell anyone, the ones who had problems would always be on the forums. Also, correlation is not causation. Yes you’re depressed, but would you be depressed if you weren’t taking finasteride? How do you know the drug is the cause? Also if you convince yourself the medication is going to make you feel sh*t, then your mind will make you feel sh*t

The outcome

I kept my hair! In the first 3 month’s a lot grew back too. It was a lot thicker, people even noticed, only my temple area didn’t seem to improve. I was really happy. Over the 11 years my hair probably hasn’t changed. I can’t say there were any noticeable side effects.

However in 2016 I had a near death experience in which my face and right hand were hit with a microlight propeller. Consequently I’ve been left with a red 5 jnch scar on my face and some weakness to my upper lip. Also have an ugly skin graft on my hand. I’ve had loads of treatment which hasn’t improved the appearance of my scars. Obviously they make me have low self esteem and self conscious. I was just dating a girl at the time and she stuck by me through it all which showed me how amazing she is, and I eventually decided to marry her. It sounds awful but part of that decision was because I think a lot of girls would be put off dating a guy who looks like he’s been knifed, so I just couldn’t go back to dating again and I’d convinced myself she’s the one. I’m mentioning all this because it muddies the water regarding finasteride effects on my mental health.

The aftermath

3 or so years after the accident and I felt like I’d mentally recovered. But over the last 2 years or so I’ve really noticed that I suffer with generalised anxiety, low self-esteem and fatigue. I can also become irritable and angry. I realised all this can be linked to low testosterone levels so I took a test which showed I was at the low end of normal. Again, correlation is not causation but had years of finasteride gradually made these changes to my mental health? I’m less inclined to think it was the accident because I only started noticing it more recently.

Also, I think I have a less androgenic appearance than I should. I’m 33 but people guess I’m around 24. Sounds great but it’s not, especially as people assume I’m inexperienced in my work. I can’t grow muscle, have a hard time shifting fat, can’t grow a beard, have a tiny jaw, and don’t behave in an androgenic manner – like I’m not decisive and assertive. Could these be because I was taking finasteride while I was developing? Who knows, but my brother is quite the opposite.

The future

So I’m getting married in 2 months, then hope to have children after. I thought the wedding would be a good time to stop. I’d appreciate some help, and I know I need to research, but I didn’t want to come off instantly. I figured this could mess with my body and I’d rather shave my head and lose my hair more slowly so it’s not quite as obviously. I thought about taking 1mg twice a week for a few months, then one a month for another 3.

If you got this far, well done. I hope that’s been of some interest. If I had my time again I would still take finasteride, but maybe stop after 5 years. Who knows. Good luck to you all

Thanks for sharing your story mate and sorry to hear about your accident, that must of been tough to deal with.

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if finasteride has something to do with the symptoms you have been experiencing, after all being on an hormone altering medication for 11 years is likely to have some effect on you. I've been on finasteride coming up to 7 years now and whilst It clearly has caused me to lose my morning wood I cant attribute any of other potential sides I may be experiencing to it.

E.g. my sex drive is not what it used to be, but is this down to aging and testosterone natural decreasing, or down to finasteride? It's is probably both, but again It's hard to tell as being on a medication for so long makes you forget "the norm" especially if changes are so gradual and also can occur naturally or in your case be triggered by events such as an accident. Anyway where I'm going with this is its basically a balancing act, for me the concept of losing my hair still outweighs the fact that I no longer have morning wood or only crave 2-3 times a week (as oppose to daily). From what I've read from your post, it seems like you have weighed up your options and have accepted its time to cease finasteride and yes this will be beneficial for when your trying for a baby as finasteride can cause reduced sperm count and watery semen.

When you do cease using finasteride, I recommend you wean yourself off it as oppose to quitting cold turkey. I've read posts of people who have quit cold turkey and as a result triggered multiple sides (probably due to their hormones being throne out of whack and eventually crashing). I suggest you gradually reduce your does e.g from 1mg daily to 0.8mg daily to 0.5mg daily to 0.5mg EOD to 0.25mg EOD to 0.1mg EOD to eventually ceasing entirely. This is probably the best way of preventing PFS.

Daiki

My Regimen
Reaction score

The problem

The solution

The outcome

The aftermath

The future

You need to take off from finasteride at least a year if you are considering having a baby. It’s too risky that you make a baby with finasteride. A lot of a study show it

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to take off from finasteride at least a year if you are considering having a baby. It’s too risky that you make a baby with finasteride. A lot of a study show it
Completely untrue. It’s totally out of your system after 1 month. Come off for a month, start trying, then hop back on

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience, it's always good to read from people who had success maintaining for a while here since as you wrote earlier, most people only bother to write when they've failed to maintain or suffered side effects. Your lower testosterone may be due to age too, I'm not sure if I've ever read of any people who had lower testosterone after taking finasteride, in fact it should raise it a bit since it inhibits DHT production, so it should raise testosterone and estrogen. It is a good idea to wean off it slowly after being on it for so long instead of just quitting cold turkey. It isn't that important for a man to be off finasteride if trying for a baby (Dutasteride is another matter though) but you don't want to have pregnant women handling the pills or taking them. Many doctors suggest their patients to be off it while trying to conceive too, for extra peace of mind and because it might reduce total sperm count temporarily while being on it. I hope the wedding goes well for you!!