Muscle rebuilding and protein?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the scenario: After a workout the muscles excersized feel beatup (torn). How does the body rebuild the torn muscles most effectively? Is it a high dose of protein right after the workout that is needed? Or is it slowly rebuilt over the next few days. What is the best way to maximize gains. That is my question. I have lifted in the past and didn't eat enough and I did gain muscle but it was so slow. I want to do it the correct way to get the most muscle mass out of every workout. Thanks

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
So the guy at GNC said 45min after your workout the body is most susceptable to extracting the things needed from your body and is a window to shoot for for adding protein etc. Makes sense. I just need to learn to eat more. He said I need to consume 130G of protein a day to maximize results.

Zeal

Reaction score
Yes, a fast digesting protein like whey is ideal post workout. Take it with water as soon as possible after the workout, anything else (i.e. Milk) will slow the digestive process.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gsxr60097 said:
He said I need to consume 130G of protein a day to maximize results.

The amt of protein you need to consume in a day depends on how much you weigh...And if you're looking to gain or lose weight. General rule of thumb on the lower end is 0.80g of protein per pound you weigh. On the upper end, it's 2g protein per pound you weigh.

Which one of these schools of thought you subscribe to is up to you...all will build muscle though.

And yes, must take post workout shake within 45 minutes of working out...Sooner if possible.

G

Zeal said:
Yes, a fast digesting protein like whey is ideal post workout. Take it with water as soon as possible after the workout, anything else (i.e. Milk) will slow the digestive process.

But milk makes t taste better and it adds more calories and protein.

Zeal

Reaction score
More whey also adds more calories and protein. Using milk with your whey after your workout isn't going to make gains non-existant, but you're only cheating yourself. Your body needs protein, FAST, after a workout.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
But milk makes t taste better and it adds more calories and protein.

Mix your pre workout shake with milk and post workout with water. If you hate the taste of protein shakes in water like I do, try adding some honey. Honey makes it taste drinkable and it also adds some quick digesting carbs/sugar to raise your glucose levels.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i love the vanila i some time just take a spoon of it in my mouth

G

I make sure I take a protein shake down before bed, so I use milk in that for sure since it will sustain me with tsome protein over night.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Also I'm 30lbs bigger than CCS.

So maybe i won't take a rimjob.
oh yes you would

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
chad nichols, nutritionist to people like ronnie coleman, victor martinez and even mike tyson (for a short period) recommends real food after a workout and has said he only recommends a shake if you can't possibly eat a real meal within 60 minutes of training. Its an interesting perspective, and one i've been trying out whenever i can. So i wouldn't really worry about milk inhibiting digestion - the benefit of the extra calories it provides post-workout will more than likely outweigh any slight, if any slowing down of your digestion (especially if its low fat milk).

of course shakes are a very quick and convenient way to down a nice amount of protein - but also remember you should be taking a big whack of carbs post-workout, even if you're dieting. The raise in blood sugar/glucose it provides helps transport nutrients (yep that means protein) to where they're desperately needed (yep that means muscles) and will also replenish glycogen stores to get you through your next workout!!

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
made_guy82 said:
chad nichols, nutritionist to people like ronnie coleman, victor martinez and even mike tyson (for a short period) recommends real food after a workout and has said he only recommends a shake if you can't possibly eat a real meal within 60 minutes of training. Its an interesting perspective, and one i've been trying out whenever i can. So i wouldn't really worry about milk inhibiting digestion - the benefit of the extra calories it provides post-workout will more than likely outweigh any slight, if any slowing down of your digestion (especially if its low fat milk).

Interesting...I wonder why he recommends real food after working out? There's no way you can digest a whole meal in the 45min - 60 min window you've got after working out. Maybe since they eat before and during exercising, they're not very catabolic afterwards? That's the only thing I can think of.

I was watching a show on body builders and what they eat...Instead of protein shakes, many drank tuna shakes blended with milk. It looked so nasty I almost lost my lunch. I'm sure it smelled even worse.

G

Harie said:
made_guy82 said:

Interesting...I wonder why he recommends real food after working out? There's no way you can digest a whole meal in the 45min - 60 min window you've got after working out. Maybe since they eat before and during exercising, they're not very catabolic afterwards? That's the only thing I can think of.

I was watching a show on body builders and what they eat...Instead of protein shakes, many drank tuna shakes blended with milk. It looked so nasty I almost lost my lunch. I'm sure it smelled even worse.

WTF! TUNA SHAKES! :x

G

What about drinking a protein shake while you eat food after you work out?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:

I pretty much do that. I drink protein shake right after working out...Then 30 min - 1 hour later, I eat a meal.

staunch

Reaction score
badasshairday wrote:

I pretty much do that. I drink protein shake right after working out...Then 30 min - 1 hour later, I eat a meal.

me too
straight after i finish my workout, i down a protein shake wit creatine and water in the changerooms, then when i get home, i shower, and eat a full meal of protein and carbs. its good to cover all ur bases. cos theres so many different theories on post workout nutrition...