Mr. P's Story - (25/The Quest to Defeat male pattern baldness)

Mr. P

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. :)

I really appreciate feedback, good or bad, just because it can be tough to stay subjective about your own hair, even with pictures to look at. My regiment hasn't been a drain on my money or time, so I'll definitely keep with it.

Mr. P

Reaction score
I just got a new camera, so I thought I'd take a few snaps. I'm still on my regimen of minoxidil daily (I've gone back to doing it twice daily in 2012 after probably a year-plus of just doing it at night), 1.25 generic finasteride, anti-dandruff shampoo once a week (need to get back to nizoral).

These pictures will be a bit tough to compare to the others since I'm not pulling back on any hair and I don't think I've taken any pictures of my hair styled. This is how I wear my hair most days, though the top does lose a bit of its poofed look fairly quickly.

I took these about a half hour after my morning minoxidil application and minutes after fixing my hair up (small dab of mousse, spritz of hairspray and blow dried).

I know I'm thinning in the vertex, but the hairline remains my biggest concern. I've still got decent coverage and when I've got it styled, I can generally get away with it looking like I have only slightly below average density. I'll need to take some pictures of my hair out of the shower to show the relative lack of actual density there.

21012a.jpg

Left temple (my "good" temple)

21012b.jpg

21012c.jpg

Right temple (lack of density in hairline most noticeable here)

All the same, I'm sticking with my regimen. It's been almost two years on finasteride and minoxidil. I'm kind of losing hope that I'll regain any density in the front at this point, but if nothing else, I don't think the hairline is worse than when I started, which is about all of us can reasonably ask for. I've considered a concealer for the front, but ultimately, I think the negatives outweigh the positives for something like that at my age (26).

Reaction score
Ello Mr P, your hair looks thicker and healthier now in your latest pics, deffo an improvement. Well done on your success :)

Mr. P

Reaction score
I got my thyroid tested about a five weeks ago and found out I'm slightly hypothyroid. I've been taking 100mg of Synthroid for about a month. I feel like I've been noticing the lack of density at my hairline more than usual lately. I don't know if it's in my head, so I took some pictures this morning after applying my Rogaine Foam.

I'm including those images along with the ones I took two months ago. The lighting in the older ones seem to be darker (as evidenced by how much darker my hair looks in general) so I think that might be playing some visual trickery on me.

With that in mind, anyone care to weigh in on whether there's a difference either way?

Left Temple 2.10.12:

21012a.jpg

Left Temple 4.12.12:

mnwhC.jpg

Right Temple 2.10.12:

21012c.jpg

Right Temple 4.12.12:

6qqnq.jpg

Front 2.10.12:

21012b.jpg

Front 4.12.12:

thyCU.jpg

Decoy

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. OP here checking in after a three-year absence. I don't remember the password to my original account, nor do I have access to that email anymore, so I'm here with a new account.

One thing I wish I'd see more of on forums such as this are chronic updates, even years later. My last update was more than three years ago, so I thought I should check in on what's up with my hair.

I've been using generic Propecia for the last year. Still using liquid minoxidil, though I'd long been doing just one application. I see in one of my last posts I had gone back to two applications a day. I'll be returning to that, as I've noticed some loss in density near the front of the hairline in recent months.

The short of is that I've now been on minoxidil and Propecia for nearly 5.5 years. Things were looking pretty bad when I started (as you can see in my first posts). My hair did end up looking pretty good dry and styled, as pictured in my last 2012 post. My girlfriend at the time actually raved often about how great my hair was and how she loved it, which isn't something I ever thought I'd have a girl tell me the way things were looking for a while.

The downside is that the pictures I took today do seem to indicate that I've receded a bit in the temples. I've always had exposed temples, so this wasn't a major change, but comparing the pics from today to ones from 2012, my right temple seems to have really opened up, which sucks, since that was always my weaker temple, anyway. Also, I've gone pretty grey on the sides since 2012 and I've got some straggling white hairs throughout my head, giving my hair a slightly lighter appearance.

So this first batch of pictures is immediately after minoxidil application, so we've got a fairly wet look going on. Definitely doesn't look great in the front and I've got some diffuse thinning, though I noticed that a similar angle from 2010 (on page 1) still looks a little worse, which is a silver lining, I suppose.

minox83015a.jpgminox83015b.jpgminox83015c.jpgminox83015d.jpgminox83015e.jpg

I'll post pictures in the next post of my hair after drying and using product, though I attached a few below.

Attachments

• dry83015a.jpg
    dry83015a.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 442
  • dry83015b.jpg
    dry83015b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 428
  • dry83015c.jpg
    dry83015c.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 463

Decoy

Reaction score
dry83015f.jpgdry83015g.jpgdry83015h.jpg

So all in all, I guess I can't complain too much having been using these products for more than 5 years. The way I started out, I didn't know if I'd have much hair left on top of my head by time I turned 30. I turned 30 earlier this year and while I'll never have a really strong hairline or amazing coverage, I feel like I can get away with it for a while longer.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First thanks for updating after such a long hiatus. Have you thought about a hair transplant?

Decoy

Reaction score
I considered it when I was 21, going so far as to meet with a hair transplant doctor. I opted against it after seeing how lousy his own hair transplant and scar looked. After five years on the Big 3, I've accepted that I'm pretty much at my best case scenario of coverage. My biggest hang up about a hair transplant is the scar. I keep my hair relatively short on the sides and the back, so I'd be worried about the scar being visible. Given that I've always had large temples, I know I probably wouldn't need a LOT of grafts, since I'd just be filling in my natural hairline and probably some of the diffused thinning area.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your talking about the strip scar right? Look into FUE from what I've read and seen the scars are pretty much invisible.

Decoy

Reaction score
Hair transplant.

If I went that route, FUE is definitely the way I'd go. Not really crazy about shaving my head, but I guess that would be better than the strip scar.

Decoy

Reaction score
Checking in again. Not much to report. I do feel like I'm probably maintaining in the front, though I've noticed an unpleasant change in the back.

My issues have always been with the hairline and density. Recently, I saw a photo of me from behind and couldn't help but notice what looked to be some patches of visible skin near the crown. After struggling to get some decent angles, I can say that yes, it looks like I'm starting to thin in that area.

Now for the kicker: I've used Rogaine for 6.5 years and while I've applied it to my head, I've usually put most of it near the front of the hairline since that was my trouble spot. Basically, the leftovers of the dropper would go toward the rest of the hair. After looking at these newest pics, I realized that I haven't really applied the minoxidil to my entire head, which is to say, the area right below where my hair naturally grows in the crown area.

I'm not sure if it's too late, but I'm immediately changing that and will be adding the liquid to the area that appears to be thinning. Hopefully that can restore some density. It doesn't help that I'm also getting pretty grey on the sides, which is starting to make my hair look kinda gross. I'm not opposed to going grey, but right now, I don't think it looks very good.

Attachments

• dUnw9Uc.jpg
    dUnw9Uc.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 371
  • Mm4Vvqn.jpg
    Mm4Vvqn.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 354
  • pF8hDmo.jpg
    pF8hDmo.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 325
  • TI6rEgV.jpg
    TI6rEgV.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 328

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
nice result man, are you still on propecia? Did you experienced sides because of minoxiil such as unwanted body hair on the body face or hands? did you got aging of the skin because of minoxidil ?
And did it worsen your hairline in the beginning? did you massageyour minoxidil or just let it soak

Sorry for all the question , but my case is similar to yours because my hairline is my main concern, i'm now 6 month on minoxidil and 22 month and propecia and i'm worse than baseline.

Rdx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like you regained good density on top.thanks for returning.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have maintained well. I think your hairloss isnt that bad but just made to look worse by having an ant and dec hairline (not sure which one it is but the dude with dark hair).

hair transplant would probably get you what you wanted in terms on the front cosmetically but as you day they can be dodgy procedures and dont work well for all, as well as the price tag comes along with them.

Well done on progress and hitting 30 in same shape as 5yrs ago

Decoy

Reaction score
nice result man, are you still on propecia? Did you experienced sides because of minoxiil such as unwanted body hair on the body face or hands? did you got aging of the skin because of minoxidil ?
And did it worsen your hairline in the beginning? did you massageyour minoxidil or just let it soak

Sorry for all the question , but my case is similar to yours because my hairline is my main concern, i'm now 6 month on minoxidil and 22 month and propecia and i'm worse than baseline.

Thanks. I don't have my ideal hairline or anything, but given that I started up with treatments more than six years ago, I guess I should be grateful that things seem to be at least maintained.

I'm still on Propecia. I'll admit that I've had moments of questioning if it was worth it, but I know that once I go off of it, it would probably be game over for my hair.

I don't feel like I suffered any cosmetic side effects from any treatments. My hands are and have always been pretty much free of hair. Aside from some stray hairs here and there, I only grow hair on my chest (not a ton, either) and a bit on my abdomen. I have an oval face that seems to be greatly affected any time I put on scale weight, so I would say I don't look much different in the face. I'm in my early thirties now, but still usually get carded and it's not rare to have someone be taken aback that I'm not only of legal drinking age; I'm more than 10 years past it.

If you look at my first pictures in the thread, you see that my hairline was already pretty crappy before starting meds. So I don't think it got any worse. In fact, even now when I see my hair (especially my forelock) and think it's getting worse, I'm surprised to see that my hairline in the photos from 2009 look weaker than now.

I kinda do both massage and soak. I use the liquid, so it can get runny on the hairline (since I don't have a ton of density and that's where I put probably at least half of the dropper's worth of liquid), which leads to me just rubbing it into the area. But for the top of my head, I just let it soak.

I feel your pain, man. There's a reason I've reappeared in this thread every couple of years: I still periodically worry about my hair and hairloss, which gets me reading these forums.

I've accepted I'm never going to have the hair I want, short of getting a hair transplant. But I've also accepted that there's only so much you can do. I admire the persistence of people who spends hours and hours searching for the perfect regimen, but honestly, it seems so exhausting. So while I'd love to just maintain what I have, I understand that I'm basically doing all I can right now within reason: Propecia, Rogaine, and Nizoral. I take care of my body, try to eat well, get rest, etc. If that ends up not being enough to keep me from thinning out, then I have to accept that I at least went down with a fight.

Decoy

Reaction score
You have maintained well. I think your hairloss isnt that bad but just made to look worse by having an ant and dec hairline (not sure which one it is but the dude with dark hair).

hair transplant would probably get you what you wanted in terms on the front cosmetically but as you day they can be dodgy procedures and dont work well for all, as well as the price tag comes along with them.

Well done on progress and hitting 30 in same shape as 5yrs ago

Ha, I hadn't heard of them, so I had to look it up. You're right!

For years, I tried to wear my hair so that my hairline was totally obscured (think Jim from the early seasons of the The Office), but about six months into starting these treatments, I decided to embrace the hairline a bit and go with the long on the top, short on the sides look.

While I've liked it and it's been surprisingly well received, I do know it draws more attention to my hairline and forehead than other styles would. And after six years, I think I'm ready for a new style. I'll keep you guys updated. I like to return because I think it's important for forums like this to have people come back and provide newer readers with some perspective and what they might expect from treatments often promoted here.

Reactions: Rdx

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks for the long anwser man . if i askedyou about the unwanted hair it is because ive got an hypertrichosis of the hand and limb because i overused minoxidil in the beginning , but i hope it will reduce .

But it reassure me , the fact that you massage it and don't get hand hypertrichosis . What amount do you use ? and do you apply the minoxidil just to the hairline now or to the whole scalp?

And the question about wrinkles, it is because there is a huge debate about the fact that minoxidil cause wrinkle and collagen breakdown