Motivation? What is yours?

RD03

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not really into the all the sentimental stuff but I got to ask; what motivates you in life? It might seem like a sort of ambiguous question, but I really feel like I have nothing to look forward to?

I’m by no means suicidal, but I think some of you, especially the young hair loss sufferers, understand my question.

I used to look forward to weekends, meet a nice girl, vacations and all that sort of fun things but now I don’t. Besides school my life is sort of empty. There is no joy, no excitement and I feel exhausted, let down, envious and angry most of the time.

All I look forward to is for my hair to get better, but it has only gone the other way the last two years. 21-years-old and heading towards a NW3A…

Sometimes I’m wondering what you guys do to make time pass by? I used to play computer games for a while, but it quickly becomes boring and I therefore find myself just doing nothing for hours on end. Which gets quite depressing at times…

Maybe I’m just depressed, I’m not sure… But I honestly feel like nothing but hair can bring back happiness in my life.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Paying off my condo.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not really into the all the sentimental stuff but I got to ask; what motivates you in life? It might seem like a sort of ambiguous question, but I really feel like I have nothing to look forward to?

I’m by no means suicidal, but I think some of you, especially the young hair loss sufferers, understand my question.

I used to look forward to weekends, meet a nice girl, vacations and all that sort of fun things but now I don’t. Besides school my life is sort of empty. There is no joy, no excitement and I feel exhausted, let down, envious and angry most of the time.

All I look forward to is for my hair to get better, but it has only gone the other way the last two years. 21-years-old and heading towards a NW3A…

Sometimes I’m wondering what you guys do to make time pass by? I used to play computer games for a while, but it quickly becomes boring and I therefore find myself just doing nothing for hours on end. Which gets quite depressing at times…

Maybe I’m just depressed, I’m not sure… But I honestly feel like nothing but hair can bring back happiness in my life.

Any physical or mental challenge.. fixing up an old, run down house, learning a new instrument, going outside without a hat or hairspray, haha... most importantly, music and nature. If you're surrounded by nature it's a thousand times harder to be depressed. You still can be, very much so, but it's a lot harder. We evolved in it for millions of years. It's a much, much bigger part of us than our stick built homes and ipads.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
There is no joy, no excitement and I feel exhausted, let down, envious and angry most of the time.

Let me first just say, I totally empathise with how you are feeling in general.Secondly, I think you might perhaps want to taper down slightly your usage of dutasteride and finasteride simultaneously, as the side effects you mention above are a classic case of low relative T/E ratio sides, which I myself have experienced.

If you're already taking finasteride every day, then really I wouldn't advise taking anymore than 0.5mg dutasteride a week on top of this, as there is no clinical proof that anymore than this amount will even increase your hair count, or improve your hair and it is multiplying your chance of mental and depressive side effects x10 Make no mistake, this 5-ar sh%t is absolute poison for your general mood and mental state in the wrong doses and not everyone is well suited to the standard, directed doses, so I would strongly suggest lowering to a dose that will help improve these sides.

With regards to lifestyle, all I can suggest is to focus on getting the very most out of your education and getting a good job so that you have the financial means to fight baldness more comprehensively in the future with transplants and perhaps get your hairline back, which as a fellow nw4, I bet must be a major future goal and desire.

I understand it must really suck to be a nw3a at 21, but please don't be too hard on yourself as at this stage, having been on the best possible treatments since age 19, you've done everything you possibly can in your financial means to combat this problem and if anything should be patting yourself on the back for doing everything possible in your power to fight this.

I think it's important for all us guys to take a step back from the world, at least momentarily, and simply give credit to ourselves, for at least trying our best and fighting as hard and gamely as we can against baldness, regardless of whether we are successful or not... I know that whenever I get down about my worsening hairloss, I always reconcile myself with that thought, "what more could I have realistically done in this ****y situation?"... Absolutely nothing, so give yourself a break! lol

Otherwise to pass the time, I personally like to cook and eat lots of tasty, healthy and nutritious food, lift weights and go sprint running, as this provides me with a great release from the everyday, average life of the balding dude that I am. lol

As well as the obvious health benefits, I also find these hobbies very empowering and motivating, as unlike obsessing about my hair 24/7 where I have zero control, I can actually control down to a tee the outcomes for my health, body, job and career and the sky is the limit.

Also I find listening to lots of new and different types of music always give me a timely boost through rough days. I'm quite a sports person, hence all the physical hobbies, but really it just depends where your talents lie, whatever they are, cultivate them... For example if I could play guitar/piano/draw/sing decently at all!...I would join a band, art group, or a choir because I can see what a great release these hobbies are too, it all depends on where your natural abilities lie.. Just know this. Anything, I mean anything is better than just sitting on your *** jerking off to p**rn and playing video games all night, every night as many guys do here on the impact section :laugh:.. All the best my brother!

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I use to hear my dad I guess brag about me, first it was "you should see the weight he's lifting, then it was yeah he's going to school, he's working as an Xyz, no clue what that is. he just bought a house. I guess knowing that my dad was watching what I was doing was and is motivation for me. I never wanted to loss a job or in a situation because of drinking, drugs or whatever. I would wonder what he would say if I did something. Heck I'm in my mid thirties and crushing it financial and everything else in life but I still call him up to ask questions or his thoughts. On a side note the nah sayers I love to destroy with what I'm doing. Most see me as a very chilled person. the list goes on but it all comes down to knowing people are watching me just like I'm watching people. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any physical or mental challenge.. fixing up an old, run down house, learning a new instrument, going outside without a hat or hairspray, haha... most importantly, music and nature. If you're surrounded by nature it's a thousand times harder to be depressed. You still can be, very much so, but it's a lot harder. We evolved in it for millions of years. It's a much, much bigger part of us than our stick built homes and ipads.

buckthorn, I feel like I can be myself to the fullest extent when I'm out in nature, like taking a hike or even camping in a forest. I feel much less depression when exercising. The outdoors is certainly a bigger part of us than our everyday man-made structures we see on a daily basis. I will admit however that I feel hair loss has robbed a large part of my natural self, as in I don't feel like my full self anymore. It's a very incomplete feeling to have.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I can totaly understand you.I have the same exact feelings but also suicidal thoughs. I think it really might be combination of dutasteride and finasteride as PRIMO sugested. I added dutasteride 2 months ago and it really seems to get worse mentally and in terms of physical energy. So you might also reconsider it.

paperlate

Reaction score
Working out helps a lot,seeing improvements on weekly basis to hopefully compete.Writing helps a bunch ,so does hanging with friends and even my pretty friend that's a girl.Trying to be the best I can physically,mentally,and spiritually.Hair coming back would be icing on the cake.Better hairstyles and less hats. I guess I like the feeling of grasping or going for something I want . If I had all I wanted then maybe I would be content and unmotivated

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
What motivates me is the thought that I'll eventually, somehow, fix this and get my hair back - even if I have to do the impossible. It's literally the only reason I keep going.

Nothing else helps and it's not for a lack of trying. I do my best at work, I work out regularly and keep in shape, I read and try to watch movies, I force myself to go out with friends on a regular basis but I just derive no damn pleasure from any of it. It doesn't even manage to distract me, really. I guess I'm just keeping up appearances and trying to maintain some sense of order for when it'll all start to matter again, i.e. after I get my hair back.

I just keep reminding myself how incredibly sad and messed up it'd be if I offed myself just 3 days before an adequate fix for hair loss was found.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
No amount of working out,going into nature,anything will not motivate you..
the motivation from this things are temporary and of less value..
problem will not go away...

Just don't live through the eyes of other people,be simple,down to earth,humble,acknowledge every little awesome things..

most importantly love your mother,father,sis/bro..
help them,speak with them daily...

you cannot stay motivated unless you change yourself...
do not expect every single thing you do will keep u happy..
don't hesitate to meet new people,doing new job,studying further..

buying new dress ,speaking with friends,do not stay lonely,attend all functions even when u feel bad..

Working out will not motivate you as it is a job done by own...
and you wont be happy many times doing the same repeating chores daily..

change your room layout...
change the locations of things in your room..

stay happy...

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi OP, I'm sorry you ended up feeling like this. Depression seems to be running in my family so I've seen my loved ones becoming ghost-like more than one time. I really do hope you have support to help you get through this.
What makes me stay okay and sane(ish) is that I do have projects and hobbies I am passionate about. Since you got tired of computer games, what about trying something else ? Sometimes, something that doesn't look significant can help so much. Someone I know felt better when she found her sport. Not just working out, like a sport she really liked. I think that sports are great to help people gain their mental strengh back. The feeling of archievement is priceless. There's something for you out there, I hope you'll find it :)

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
buckthorn, I feel like I can be myself to the fullest extent when I'm out in nature, like taking a hike or even camping in a forest. I feel much less depression when exercising. The outdoors is certainly a bigger part of us than our everyday man-made structures we see on a daily basis. I will admit however that I feel hair loss has robbed a large part of my natural self, as in I don't feel like my full self anymore. It's a very incomplete feeling to have.

Agreed. there are so many therapeutic values in nature.

1) No one to judge you. The animals and trees don't care. Your dog or cat doesn't care. They are pure and unadulterated by our highly evolved type of brain.

2) your instincts are alive, truly alive. Through evolution nature has trained us to be responsive to smell, touch, sound, sight, etc... these senses get dulled down from being surrounded by only man and his creations. You are exercising and being exhilarated by what this earth has shaped for you, over millions and millions of years.

3) Your stress is gone. All the elements that consume your mind on a daily basis don't exist in the woods. Yes, they can still be in your mind, but it is easier to be with yourself. Drop your ego and reflect on truly what's in your mind.

4) exercise and fresh O2... the best.

-I have had two periods of my life that were my darkest depressions. Therapists didn't help. family and friends were awesome support and it helped but it didn't solve it. Being alone in the woods did. I literally overcame these horrible days by being still, listening, not talking and thinking about what I needed to work on.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I live for my family, not myself. I don't feel sorry for myself either because I had a youth and even middle-age years without ever once worrying about hair loss, or much else, for that matter. I am thankful beyond words for that. I've had enough happiness, so now I focus on making the best life I can for my husband and kids. They are my motivation every morning when I get out of bed.

- - - Updated - - -

No amount of working out,going into nature,anything will not motivate you..
the motivation from this things are temporary and of less value..
problem will not go away...

Just don't live through the eyes of other people,be simple,down to earth,humble,acknowledge every little awesome things..

most importantly love your mother,father,sis/bro..
help them,speak with them daily...

you cannot stay motivated unless you change yourself...
do not expect every single thing you do will keep u happy..
don't hesitate to meet new people,doing new job,studying further..

buying new dress ,speaking with friends,do not stay lonely,attend all functions even when u feel bad..

Working out will not motivate you as it is a job done by own...
and you wont be happy many times doing the same repeating chores daily..

change your room layout...
change the locations of things in your room..

stay happy...

Wise words, Saurabhaj (but the part about the room layout confuses me--I'm sure there's a hidden meaning that's eluding me!).

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, being bald, I can't imagine any scenario where I would be happy. I could be a movie star, nobel prize winner etc and I still wouldn't be happy because I'm bald. Deformed for the rest of my life.

Exactly how I feel, cocohot. No scenario would make me happy as long as my hair continues to leave me, strand by stand, every single day.

RD03

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your inputs. I've just started going to the gym today. Hopefully that is something that I can enjoy.

I would like to clarify that my feelings are not connected to my usage of 5 AR inhibitors. I began using Finasteride two years ago, and prior to that I was the same mentally. The reason I use Finasteride alongside Dutasteride is because I am getting Dutateride off an online pharmacy, while Finasteride is prescribed to me by my doctor and thus I want be on the safe side in case my Dutasteride isn't legit. Moreover, I will only be using this combination for a year, I want to see if Dutasteride will do anything that Finasteride is not. If my hair has not improved significantly by March 2017, I will discontinue Dutasteride and just use Finasteride.

Most likely I'm going to try and make my hair loss treatments even better and start a diary on here.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
When i was kid,we were so poor,we had not much support from my parents family.So our life was very little about buying new and latest things..

but when i used to see my home's inside layout changing,i used to feel very good,new experience,like changing of bedrooms,drawing room,etc
like changing the location of bed's, i believe every single change no matter how big or small will have significant good impact on human mindset..
and mental well being.

blackg

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I am running out of motivation.

Fall

Reaction score
paying my rent is great motivator.

Fear just motivates me the most. I really do not want to be a poor loser. That is why I try to do something against my hair loss and that is why I get up every day... it is even the reason why I travel and go out - successful people have time and money to do that so I do it.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When i was kid,we were so poor,we had not much support from my parents family.So our life was very little about buying new and latest things..

but when i used to see my home's inside layout changing,i used to feel very good,new experience,like changing of bedrooms,drawing room,etc
like changing the location of bed's, i believe every single change no matter how big or small will have significant good impact on human mindset..
and mental well being.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification, Saurabhaj. :)

blackg

Reaction score
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification, Saurabhaj. :)
Yeah, I was a bit confused with the whole "rearrange the bedroom" activities, myself.
I may try it out tomorrow.
Except, what if I get up in the middle of the night, half asleep, and trip over all the newly arranged furniture?