More on controlling insulin: consider VINEGAR! :-)

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
to Bryan and all, just to set the record straight is it okay to take Apple Cider Vinegar supplements to get the same effect as the actual liquid? And also, how many ml, fluid ounces, or tablespoons are 20 grams of apple cider vinegar?

polster

Reaction score
doggfather said:
to Bryan and all, just to set the record straight is it okay to take Apple Cider Vinegar supplements to get the same effect as the actual liquid? And also, how many ml, fluid ounces, or tablespoons are 20 grams of apple cider vinegar?

In my opinion the more natural state an item is whether it be food or liquid is the most potent! The more processed something is, the less bioavialibility a food or drug has on the body!

1 ounce (oz.) = 30 grams
0.882 ounce (oz.) = 25 grams

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
polster said:
In my opinion the more natural state an item is whether it be food or liquid is the most potent! The more processed something is, the less bioavialibility a food or drug has on the body!

There are a few exceptions to that general rule. The beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) is more available in COOKED carrots than it is in RAW carrots. That's because the cooking process helps break down the tough cellular walls, releasing the beta-carotene.

1 mL = 1 gram, so if you want to measure out 20 grams of vinegar, just find a small measuring cup of some sort (I use a Pepto-Bismol cup) and measure out 20 mL (20 grams) of water into the cup using (for example) a Rogaine dropper, then mark a line on the cup with a permanent Sharpie marker at that water-line. Then use that cup to pour out your 20 grams of vinegar each time! :)

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
There are a few exceptions to that general rule. The beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) is more available in COOKED carrots than it is in RAW carrots. That's because the cooking process helps break down the tough cellular walls, releasing the beta-carotene.

....but you must then eat the carrots soon after cookig and not store/freeze them as cooked carrots will lose nutrients through oxidization, this is also true of grated carrots.

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, do you have any thoughts on cinnamon having the same effect preventing insulin spikes as vingear does. The taste of vinegar dilluted in even 1 liter of water still makes me want to vomit.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
For simplicity, I'll just copy/paste my response to a similar question on another site:

I just thought I'd add that it looks like cinnamon has the same insulin-lowering effects as vinegar. (That is, cinnamon also makes insulin more effective/less necessary and combats blood sugar spikes.)

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/public ... 115=117040

http://www.youngagain.com/cinnamon2.html

Yes, I was talking about the cinnamon study myself in a past post. However, one bad thing I reported about it earlier is that my best friend's mother, the one who has diabetes, tested cinnamon herself a while back, and found that it did indeed appear to work well for a while, but it seemed to eventually lose its effectiveness (I think it happend over a period of a month or so). I have pretty good confidence in what she says, because she is quite used to checking her glucose levels several times a day, and knows EXACTLY how well she is responding to any treatment. She says it eventually just quit working for her.

It obviously remains to be seen whether or not vinegar meets a similar fate; that is, it might also work well for a while to stabilize blood sugar and insulin levels, but what if our bodies ALSO develop a kind of "tolerance" to it, for God-knows-what reason? I'm a pretty cautious person: in my first post at the top of this thread, you'll notice that I was careful to emphasize that this is still an EXPERIMENTAL treatment.

Bryan

Felk

Reaction score
I found this all very interesting, but does anyone have any tips on taking the stuff? Swallowing a spoon of apple cider vinegar is one of the most horrible memories I have :x

Cinnamon and lemon juice/rind also some things to consider for this purpose. Added to rice puddings (ala the greeks) they are delicious

JWM

Reaction score
Felk

Be sure to dilute the ACV with distilled water! Drinking it plain can be tough on the enamel of your teeth.

If the taste bothers you then mix in a little honey.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
COULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE WHAT INSULID AND HAIR LOSS HAVE DO TO WITH EACH OTHER?

CCS

Reaction score
search for powersam's post on insulin.

I can't drink vinegar because it flairs up my acid reflux.

As for glycemic index, I heard you can eat anything as long as you mix it with lower stuff at the same meal. Potatoes are very healthy, but you can't just eat a backed potato by itself. You should eat it with peanuts or something. Getting a little of everything at every mean is healthier than fruit for breakfast and vegetables at lunch. The reason body builders must eat 6 meals a day, among other reasons, is they can only absorbe 20-30g at a time. A cup of powdered protein will do you no good beyond the first 20 grams. Also, whey protein is absorbed fast, and some other proteins are absorbed slower. You need a mix of everything so you can get some nutrients when you need them, but not get them all at once, so you have some 2-3 hours later, until you eat your next small meal. This also means your stomach will be smaller. I snack whenever I want throughout the day because I never eat a large meal like breakfast, lunch or dinner. People who eat three meals and then snack on top of that are the ones who get fat, unless they run or lift a lot.

Felk

Reaction score
My personal preference regarding vinegar/cinnamon is cinnamon due to it's benefits for cardiovascular disease, helping people with type II diabetes respond to insulin, normalising blood sugar levels, reducing cholesterol, etc. I'll type out an excerpt from "The Greek Doctor's Diet" (Dr Fedon Lindberg) regarding cinnamon:

"A recent joint US/Pakistani study included 60 volunteers with type II diabetes who were not taking insulin. Subjects were divided into six groups. Groups 1, 2 and 3 were given 1, 3 or 6 grams of cinnamon daily, while groups 4, 5 and 6 received a placebo. After 40 days, all three levels of cinnamon reduced blood sugar levels by 18-29%, triglycerides by 23-30%, LDL cholesterol by 7-27% and total cholesterol by 12-26%, while no significant changes were seen in the groups receiving a placebo. Even the lowerst amount of cinnamon, 1 gram per day (approximately 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon) had a significant effect.
The researchers' conclusion: including cinnamon in the diet of people with type II diabetes will reduce risk factors associated with diabetes and cardiovascular disease."

I tried to swallow a teaspoon of ground cinnamon straight recently, and it burnt my mouth! :oops:

powersam

Reaction score
apparently how you take the cinnamon is also important. just taking the powder can cause toxic build ups in your system apparently. the best way to take it is to boil a cinnamon stick and use the water for tea or something, i make porridge. it seems there are toxic compounds in cinnamon but they are lipid soluble only, whereas the compounds that help with insulin are water soluble only. so boiling it and discarding the solids would remove the chance of toxicity.

more cinnamon info, anything that helps inflammation is good for baldness in my mind.

"The cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets. (The way it accomplishes this health-protective act is by inhibiting the release of an inflammatory fatty acid called arachidonic acid from platelet membranes and reducing the formation of an inflammatory messaging molecule called thromboxane A2.) Cinnamon's ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes also puts it in the category of an "anti-inflammatory" food that can be helpful in lessening inflammation."

Felk

Reaction score
Aaah ok, great, I use cinnamon in tea sometimes but I thought that wouldn't have the same effect as the powder, glad to hear of contrary evidence.

However taking the powder must be pretty ok, because the above study I quoted mentioned "tablespoons" so it must have been in ground form.

CCS

Reaction score
I've been dumping it on my cereal this whole time. And cinnamon is in curry powder. Now way to avoid the toxic stuff if you eat that. Can you boil 3g of cinnemon each day and dissolve all the good stuff? How many cups would we need? Not that I eat cookies for cinnamon, but they probably have whole cinnamon in them too. That is annoying that they are toxic. I switch to just my cocoa for now until I get used to boiling the cinnamon. It has a lot of polyphenols in it.

powersam

Reaction score
its more that a buildup of whatever compound it is can be toxic. so small amounts per day are apparently fine. however to completely avoid the bad stuff its best to boil it and then strain out the solids.

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, so the curry powder is probably OK, but the 3+ grams per day I use might not be.

powersam

Reaction score
well yeah you'd probably be getting up to dangerous levels. though i havent found out exactly what a buildup of this compound would do, other than it wouldnt be good. get some cinnamon sticks and boil them, you can re-use them for 4 or 5 days.

CCS

Reaction score
I can get 71g of ground cinnamon for 99 cents. My goal should be to boil at least 2 grams per day, I guess. I'll have to just drink cinnamon and green tea instead of water.

Powersam,

What do you think of the book inflammation nation? With all the different opinions we need to sift through already, do you think it is worth paying $20 to hear another one that may or may not be good? I believe inflammation is a huge problem, but I'm just skeptical that there are known solutions, besides the obvious of not drinking soda and eating candy a lot.

Trebor

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with drinking Apple Cider Vinegar straight?

I bought a huge bottle and I take a swig out of it everyday.

CCS

Reaction score
Just rinse your teeth afterwards so the acid does not hurt them. Or maybe it was lemon juice that does that.

I'd have to check the pH before I can give you a better answer.