Monitoradiation's Story (Age 25) (6 Month Edit)

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna push my original post down since it was so long; separated by under scrolls.

So my situation at 6 months is:

Hair quality: Better hair condition, though hair is having a hard time growing longer at the crown area. Will wait. Added Silica and Biotin 12.5 and 300 mcg, respectively, daily.

Crown: Slowly improving, slight reduction in thinned area.

Hairline: Right side creeping lower; really strange considering there's an arrow shape forming there. Almost looks like --v--v- across my head. No complaints though, since it's still hair. Left temple with new vellus hairs.

Regimen:

Quartered Proscar Daily
Nizoral 2% Every 3 days
Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Ginger Shampoo on Off nizoral Days

Supplements:

Biotin 300 mcg
Silica 12.5 mg
MSM 2000mg
Vitamin C 2000mg
Omega 3 (Jamieson) 3000mg
Centrum Forte Multivitamin
Soy Extract 50 mg
Green Tea Extract 200 mg

Hello people. This is my first post; but I've been lurking these forums for awhile and finally got the registration thing done tonight. Now onto the story.

My hairloss began probably 3 years ago. I've always had such thick, lustrous hair that I would consciously be trying to pull them out in the shower to make it thinner and easier to manage. Throughout highschool I've always been known as the guy with the explosive bedhair. So, like many here, I never thought it would end.

So now my ethnic background is Chinese, my dad's got hit by male pattern baldness and is probably a diffuse Norwood 5; his hairline is still fairly strong. My uncles on my paternal side were not hit by it (or that they're on meds; I can't tell). So I knew for awhile that I might be hit by hairloss sometime, but I never realized how early it could get to me.

I've always kept my hair semi-long because I hated barbers and how expensive they were; plus I just cut them myself with scissors, so I never knew how advanced my hairloss was until last winter when I went to Asia and went to a stylist. He told me that my hair at the crown is very weak and I was alarmed. 4 years ago I went to Asia, saw the same stylist, and he hadn't mention it. So it became noticeable to him within these 4 years. Right now, I have a 1-2inch area around my crown where the hair is really thin. I can hide my loss easily but I would like to reverse my loss, or at least maintain.

I've shaven my head three times before, I quite liked how easy it was to manage and am convinced I looked fine with it. However, as I also look much younger than my age (I was told I looked 16 by a lady just yesterday) so I wouldn't mind keeping my hair for awhile; plus, all of my friends say that I looked better with hair except for the males and a token female.

About 8 months ago, I went to see my physician and she was reluctant to prescribe me Propecia; I was on the wall about its side-effects at the time so I wasn't adamant about getting that prescription. I tried Rogaine, twice a day, from February until September of this year, in conjunction with Nizoral 2% 2x a week; I don't think I saw any regrowth, but I didn't shed while on it neither. It was a pain in the butt. Towards the end of my usage of Rogaine I'd developed severe irritation to it and a whitish residue that I thought was skin peeling off. I decided to get off of Rogaine, and told my physician that I wanted to see a dermatologist; the dermatologist prescribed me Propecia. On Nov. 14th, 2008, I began taking Propecia. So far, no sides, and I am relieved about that. Now I just have to wait to see if it will work.

My regimen right now is:

Shower:
Nizoral 2%, 2x per week;
T-gel (Coal tar) 1%, on off nizoral days;

And for general health, I'm taking:

Morning with breakfast:
MSM 1800mg
Vitamin C 1000mg
Vitamin B50 complex (Jamieson) 1 tablet
Omega 3 (Jamieson) 1000mg

At night with dinner:
MSM 1800mg
Vitamin C 1000mg
Vitamin E (just d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 200UI at breakfast
Turmeric force (curcumin) 1 capsule a day with dinner meal

Before bed:
Propecia 1mg Tablet

The waiting game is ON! Haha. I should have pics up soon, my camera is full and I can't find my USB-microSD cord so I haven't been taking pictures. Darn it!

I do have a few questions and would love to hear your thoughts:

1) What was causing that scalp irritation and white residue from Rogaine? I heard its the Propylene glycol, would using a concoction (ex., Dr. Lee's) reduce the irritation? What about the formulations with azelic acid?

2) I would like to fill out my regimen with a minoxidil. product, but I would hate to have the irritation and peeling again. I can wait awhile to see if Propecia's going to work for me before I try a minoxidil product, so feel free to suggest a few; right now I'm looking at Xandrox15 plus, but I'm not sure just yet if I can use it just once a day and get away with it.

3) Washing my hair daily is harsh on my hair; so right now I wash my hair every other day. To increase my showering frequency, I also would like to find a shampoo and conditioner. I'm thinking of trying the Body Shop shampoo with tea tree oil and ginger (I've used this a long time ago, before hairloss and I liked it), but I would like some suggestions.

4) I think I entered a shedding phase on the day I started taking Propecia but before I even popped the pill. I shed an abnormal amount of hair in the shower that day and it has continued til now (so about 2 weeks); since Propecia is the last addition to my regimen and I was taking everything else for at least 3 weeks prior to starting Propecia. Could anything on my regimen that would've contributed to this? (I'm thinking the Curcumin, but I'm not sure)

5) What else can I do? Is there anything that nobody here agrees with with regards to what I'm currently doing?

Sorry in advance about the long post, guys. Good luck to all :3

ygrec

Reaction score
Re: Monitoradiation's Story (Age 25)

Looks like a good regime, though you probably don't need that much of Tocopherol. Remember that oil-soluble vitamins, like E, can be accumulated in the body and possibly be harmful. Better to get those with food anyway.
If you don't need much regrowth, you should be fine with that. If you do want regrowth, you might want to add some growth stimulant, if minoxidil is out of question than possibly Prox-N and/or Folligen.
Good luck.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score

I was afraid of that, actually, so I decided to take 200IU instead of 400IU pills that were available... Plus, my diet is very very low in fat. I tend to avoid fatty foods. But I do eat nuts and avocado but rarely.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score

So, kinda of an update: I've went through my 3 months prescription of Propecia and got prescripted Proscar. Cutting them up with a pillcutter and downing them, Day 1 of Proscar; I'm not going hardcore like the others have been and dissolving it in alcohol (because I don't drink much) so I hope this chopchop job will be good enough.

As for the hair; Don't know yet, nothing happened between my first Propecia pill til now. Though I do think with the amount of attention I give to my hair that the quality of the rest of the bunch is much improved. We will see in another few months or so?

Edit: Well. I just checked my hair today under a light; top's still thin, got like a 2-3 inch diameter thin area around my vertex. Which is stupid because my vertex isn't on the top of the head but is about 1.5 inches off to the right. Makes it hard to brush my hair around the thinning area. Sucks. I just hope things start to thick up soon so I can forget about this crap T_T