Mixture of 5-Aminolevulinic Acid and Iron

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
I just read this guy's blog even though it's old:

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2 ... d-and.html

Methods: The effect of a 5-ALA and iron ion admixture on hair growth and cell proliferation in mice was examined. The dorsal hair of 8-week-old male CeH/HeN mice was clipped, and a 5-ALA and iron ion admixture was applied to the dorsal skin once daily for 21 days in a room supplied with common room lights. Hair growth was later examined by calculating the ratio of the area showing hair growth to the total clipped area. For the cell proliferation assay, a 5-ALA and iron ion admixture at several different concentrations was added to a culture medium containing keratinocytes or fibroblasts, and the cell numbers were counted.

Results: Mice treated with an admixture of 5-ALA and iron ion showed significant hair growth, as revealed by the Tukey–Kramer test. The stimulatory effect of the mixture was almost identical to that of 5% minoxidil. No proliferation of keratinocytes or fibroblasts was observed, however, when an admixture of 5-ALA and iron ion was added to the medium.

Conclusions: The results suggest that an admixture of 5-ALA and iron ion stimulates murine hair growth in vivo independent of epithelial and mesenchymal cells, although the precise mechanism is still uncertain. This mixture has the potential to become a beneficial new treatment for alopecia.

This is pretty nice. They are reporting hair growth within a 21 day period with the same stimulatory effects as 5% minoxidil. It also seems like they utilized substances which are commonly found although they fail to give the proper mixture of iron ions and 5-ALA used in the experiment.

Also this blog was interesting:

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2 ... ir-in.html

The authors first rubbed a 1% solution of Asiasari radix extract mixed in 40% ethanol on the backs of mice. According to the paper, the extract induced earlier telogen-to-anagen conversion, which means that the resting phase of the hair got shorter. It also increased the depth and size of the hair follicles.

It got me thinking. I haven't read too many posts here about any solutions that can speed up the growth cycle of hair.

Why couldn't we utilize things like these to speed up hair growth after a minoxidil shed or give it to hair transplant patients to make their new hairs grow faster instead of waiting 6 months to a year+ to see the results?

I couldn't find Asiasari Radix Extract anywhere on the net.. but I would be eager to try it out for sure. There was an abstract somewhere that reported clean toxicology results.

el_duterino

Reaction score
i am using this Asiarari Radix extract now, there were a few posts on this board about this. JLL is the poster who is running that "inhuman.." site and who kindly brought this to our attention here.

I am probably the first and only human using this topically in the world, for hair loss...

I have been using this for 3 weeks so far now and several people (girlfirend etc...) commented on how fast my hair is growing these days.
My obesrvations so far: It is not as strong as an anti-androgen in terms of thickening existing hair, if I can compare with using RU58841, flutamide orDUT . I doubt that the extract can stop hairloss on its own in humans.

I will keep using it and report back in 2-3 months. No side effects to notice so far.The extract is not very toxic and dosages up to 3 grams a day of the root powder (not the extract) have been considered safe in chinese medicine.

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool. Do you happen to know where I can get a hold of the Asiasari Extract? It sounds like it's not that powerful as other solutions but I'd definitely be interested in speeding up hair growth.

el_duterino

Reaction score
The root powder is from China , and I bought it in Japan. I am in Japan now.

Drop me a PM if you are interested, I still have about 450g of the powder and don't need that much.
powder was about $100 for 500g.
30 g of powder yields about 200ml of pure plant extracted in pure 96% ethanol, and I dissolved the extract further to have a 30 % concentration in the lotion..the rest is ethanol, distilled water and PG.