Mixed Results on Big 3...

ChiaPet

Reaction score
Hey hey,

I've been lurking around here for a couple months and have finally decided to post. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible:

I'm going to be 22 next week and first began noticing my hair loss at 20. It has been a slow process thus far and I haven't really paid any attention to it. In the past, a couple of my friends had made comments about my 'huge forehead' and receding hairline, but it didn't bother me at all. Was pretty much in the denial stage for a while, as I was confident that it would eventually stop. I thought this was just a mature hairline in the making. Seeing how my dad began losing his hair in his early 30s, I thought I would follow this same process.

Boy was I mistaken. From July '04 - December '04 my hair loss had accellerated and it made me panic. By December, I believe I was a Norwood 2-2.5 ...Still not sure, but had a pretty bad receding hairline and it was starting to thin at the vertex and crown.

Began doing research on several websites. Stumbled upon this website and it couldn't have been more perfect timing. Before starting on any regimen, I spent a couple weeks reading what worked and what didn't.

Anyhu, I got onboard the Big 3 Mid Jan, '05. It has been 3 months of today and while it is still far too early to give any update on the quality of my hair, I can say this...

The thinning vertex has filled in quite nicely...In fact, it doesn't look like it's thinning at all. Only when it's wet, slight thinning can be seen. minoxidil is magic sauce for the vertex...The vertex has been improving since day 1. For that, I am happy.

As for the hairline; I feel like it has been destroyed. I've been shedding like a mofo ever since I started treatment. I'm guessing around 100 hairs in the shower for the first 2.5 months. It has recently slowed down, but I'm still shedding around 40-70 hairs in the shower and most of them seem to be coming from the hairline...or at least, that's what I've been led to believe. My hairline is now uneven - It's completely destroyed on the right side. I've had to alter my hairstyle ever since I began treatment.

My hair has thinned at the crown and I've also noticed shedding on the sides. My hair seems to fall out so easily these days.

I feel this regimen is altering my life. I have to crawl under a rock until the minoxidil dries... and some days I feel like there's a cloud over my face. The propecia is making me dazed and in my own little world. I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this...

I just have a couple questions...

1) Will my hair respond better to 2 ml applications 2x / day? (1 ml on the hairline/1ml on the vertex) ? I keep my hair pretty long, so I'm not sure if too much is getting absorbed by the hair, instead of the scalp.

2) I've noticed tiny hairs coming in at the hairline..These hairs grow about 1cm and then fall back out. Over time, should these hairs become terminal?

Ah...I guess that wasn't brief at all... Anyhow, I'm hoping my hairline improves for the summer because I really want to party my *** off. Ever since I've started these treatments, I haven't gone out much... well it's also due to school I guess...ENGINEERING SUCKS :!:

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
hey mate,
Welcome to this forum.

It seems like you have made some very good choices and that you are well informed in the world of male pattern baldness. You're on the right track and giving it all you've got in terms of using all the proven treatments - right now you just need to add one more ingredient to the mix, the one that a lot of people fail with, and that's TIME.

You have only been on treatments for 3 months and that's waaay to early to make any judgements so far. you shedding indicates that you're a responder and your obviously responding very well to minoxidil - You'll be fine!

My only suggestion is to get yourself somne Dr. Lee's minoxidil that dries really fast (never tried it but heard about it endless times) so you don't have to 'hide' until it dries. Also if you think that the propecia is making you drowsy try cutting it in half and try that for a while to test wether it;s the meds causing you to feel like this.

Good luck.

circusrat

Reaction score
To throw in my support, minoxidil does the same thing to my hairline. It makes all these very promising hairs grow to about a cm, then they just fall out. It's god damn annoying and they've been growing that length and falling out for like 3 months now without any of them going terminal.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To answer your questions:

1) Yes
2) Yes

Good luck with the partying!