minoxidil - What's the truth?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope, minoxidil only effects the hairs it regrows...look at the graph. But see if you can get away with just using finasteride before adding minoxidil. I swear that stuff lowers your quality of life...its such a pain in the ***.

file_1.gif

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
I am also very interested in this topic. I have grown "very terminal like hairs" with mixnoxidil. I dream of being able to stop it and maintain these with propecia but since they work by different mechanisms i dont' think its a good idea. But the fact that they are terminal always makes me wonder :)

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Phillip said:
I am also very interested in this topic. I have grown "very terminal like hairs" with mixnoxidil. I dream of being able to stop it and maintain these with propecia but since they work by different mechanisms i dont' think its a good idea. But the fact that they are terminal always makes me wonder :)

I'll tell you one thing: I was able to maintain hair grown on finasteride with just minoxidil alone. Or at least, stopping finasteride for six months, with only on a once-a-day minoxidil application, introduced no new shedding. I'm not sure if it would work the other way around though.

IBM

Reaction score
I've been five months on minoxidil 5% 1ml once a day. Until last two weeks i was somehow satisfied on maintaining what i have. But last two weeks my scalp is very bad. I've a lot of itches (with some wounds) and is somehow inflamated. And i've lost lots and lots of hair lately.

Now i'm NW3.5 going to 4. Even i lost density in sides and back. My deformed head is now showing and i cant hide it anymore.

I'm thinking in dutasteride though i've my doubts. I dont want maintenance because my hair is bad and i cant hide my deformed head. And i want to grow and syle my hair like i used to do (open book hair style). But it was a miracle if dutasteride could give me that chance.

Goingat20

Reaction score
IBM- your using nizoral and minoxidil only? If your a Norwood 3.5 i think you should start finasteride/dutasteride asap

IBM

Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
IBM- your using nizoral and minoxidil only? If your a Norwood 3.5 i think you should start finasteride/dutasteride asap

I want to have some density on my head so i could grow and style it.
If it is for maintaining its better to use only minoxidil. It wont make much difference if i loose what i have in the next 5 years.

Sean68

Reaction score
i reckon you should still go for the dutas you were thinking about.itll give the minoxidil a better chance of working if you have less dht in your scalp.its so cheap if you do every other day.id start with the big three and add things from there its a good starting point.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
IBM said:
I've been five months on minoxidil 5% 1ml once a day. Until last two weeks i was somehow satisfied on maintaining what i have. But last two weeks my scalp is very bad. I've a lot of itches (with some wounds) and is somehow inflamated. And i've lost lots and lots of hair lately.

Now i'm NW3.5 going to 4. Even i lost density in sides and back. My deformed head is now showing and i cant hide it anymore.

I'm thinking in dutasteride though i've my doubts. I dont want maintenance because my hair is bad and i cant hide my deformed head. And i want to grow and syle my hair like i used to do (open book hair style). But it was a miracle if dutasteride could give me that chance.

increase the minoxidil to twice a day if you want significant improvement. With the new foam version two times a day is a snap.

IBM

Reaction score
Sean68 said:
i reckon you should still go for the dutas you were thinking about.itll give the minoxidil a better chance of working if you have less dht in your scalp.its so cheap if you do every other day.id start with the big three and add things from there its a good starting point.

It's not so cheap. It's 40 dolares per month. For us is a lot because we earn little compared to other countries of Western Europe.