Minoxidil vs Microneedling: need to pick one

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
I did my first needling with dermapen at 1mm. Scalp was quite red. 2 days later I did my first Rogaine. Two more days later (today) I'm having slight chest tightness. Looks like I can't use minoxidil and microneedling together.

Which of the two can give me a better chance or doing something ?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil.

However, just don't use minoxidil on the day you microneedle. The combination improves efficacy by 400% over minoxidil alone. Follica tested systemic absorption of minoxidil applied immediately after microneedling, and it never got above the concentrations required to effect the heart. Out of an abundance of caution, they withhold minoxidil minoxidil treatment for the first 24 hours after microneedling, then apply it twice daily, and this eliminates any systemic absorption. The skin barrier is completely restored within 24 hours after needling.

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil.

However, just don't use minoxidil on the day you microneedle. Follica tested systemic absorption of minoxidil applied immediately after microneedling, and it never got above concentrations required to effect the heart. Out of an abundance of caution, they limit minoxidil withhold minoxidil treatment for the first 24 hours after microneedling, then apply it twice daily, and this eliminates any systemic absorption. The skin barrier is completely restored within 24 hours after needling.
I'm aware of the 24 hrs thing, I've applied Minoxidil approximately 32 hrs after microneedling. Yet I'm getting slight chest tightness... Never had this before.

Last edited:

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have just started Rogaine, right? In my opinion it's best to only introduce one treatment at a time so you can see how your body reacts to each specific treatment. Although it's rare, chest pain is a known side effect for topical minoxidil. Your chest pain could be from the Rogaine on its own.

My suggestion would be to drop microneedling for now and try Rogaine 5% once daily. If you aren't experiencing the sides, increase your application to twice daily. If everything is still fine, introduce microneedling.

Based on your other posts I get the feeling you're nervous about hair loss treatments. Relax, listen to your body, and build your hair loss regimen one step at a time.

toxzl2

Reaction score
Minoxidil.

However, just don't use minoxidil on the day you microneedle. The combination improves efficacy by 400% over minoxidil alone. Follica tested systemic absorption of minoxidil applied immediately after microneedling, and it never got above the concentrations required to effect the heart. Out of an abundance of caution, they withhold minoxidil minoxidil treatment for the first 24 hours after microneedling, then apply it twice daily, and this eliminates any systemic absorption. The skin barrier is completely restored within 24 hours after needling.
pegasus, you know what you are talking about, can you help me with my case? I posted it here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/finasteride-not-working-anymore-after-3-years.130545/

I'll appreciate a lot your help! Thanks.