Minoxidil vs. Caffeine

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Both as far as I can see are growth cycle extenders. The money question is whether hair would suffer caffeine sheds and cold-turkey massive sheds as with minoxidil. The implication may be that caffeine may be a better choice. (although I think I will probably be sectioned if my hair starts to smell any weirder - skunk and coffee anyone?) Any tinkerers who've been smearing coffee on their head want to field this?

Bismarck

Reaction score
iamnaked said:
Both as far as I can see are growth cycle extenders. The money question is whether hair would suffer caffeine sheds and cold-turkey massive sheds as with minoxidil. The implication may be that caffeine may be a better choice. (although I think I will probably be sectioned if my hair starts to smell any weirder - skunk and coffee anyone?) Any tinkerers who've been smearing coffee on their head want to field this?

1.) The amounts of caffeine in coffee is much to low to have any effect - orally and topically.

2.) I doubt caffeine is as effective as minoxidil is.

bis

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bismarck said:
iamnaked said:

1.) The amounts of caffeine in coffee is much to low to have any effect - orally and topically.

bis

My internet snooping revealed that the average cup of instant contains 95 mg of caffeine. This seems like quite a lot, especially for a topical. Even if that is too little: could one not use pro plus or something similar?

Bismarck

Reaction score
iamnaked said:
Bismarck said:
iamnaked said:

bis

My internet snooping revealed that the average cup of instant contains 95 mg of caffeine. This seems like quite a lot, especially for a topical. Even if that is too little: could one not use pro plus or something similar?

There are topicals with high caffeine concentrations commercially available.

Stingray

Reaction score
Caffiene is easily separated from coffee... Just look on the internet.

You can also separate nicotine from tobacco... 1 drop of concentrated nicotine is enough to kill an average adult* :D

* By reading the asterisk in the above line you consent to remove any and all liability from the person or persons that cited the preceding. In fact you are legally bound to completely forget what I just said.

finasteride~

Petchsky

Reaction score
Sounds like a good way to kill someone. I like it...* i didn't say that

willywonka

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Sounds like a good way to kill someone. I like it...* i didn't say that
Lol! use a press to squeeze out the nic from cigs

G

caffeine for hair loss is a scam. The german university who did the study received money for it from the producer of the caffeine shampoo (http://www.alpecin.de).

There are a few studies concluding caffeine is toxic for hair growth and it counteracts the mechanisms of finasteride and minoxidil.

bartolin

Reaction score
I think tupperware might be right. One sigle study proves nothing. And it is very suspicious to see a caffeine containing shampoo just released to the market at the same time some researchers say it is good for hair.

But I would like to see those studies saying caffeine is bad for hair too.