minoxidil tolerance....

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am sure this topic has already been covered but the search function doesn't seem to workign for me. What is the real deal with minoxidil tolerance. I read a posts over on HLH where Dr. Proctor said that after 2-3 years minoxidil stops being effective. Does this mean that 1) Hairs thickened or grown with minoxidil will fall out? or 2) minoxidil will no longer grow or thicken any new hairs? Any info is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Desar

p.s. On a positive note, I think minoxidil is fuckin great. A few months ago at my sisters wedding I saw pics of the top of my head and realized that I had some diffuse thinning showing. Yesterday I just got my hair cut and my scalp is no longer visible. It was one of the best hair cuts I have evr gotten. Even my hairline is improving. All I currently use is minoxidil.

Reaction score
there is tons of info on this site you MUST read.

1. Yes you will lose what was saved by minoxidil.

With that said, you are only stimulating hair growth...not kicking the problem in the butt...you need to take/use some DHT Inhibitor. Propecia.

Keep reading and you will find a good regimen to follow to maximize you options. If you can't see your scalp...STOP USING/TAKING minoxidil and do preventative maintenance. Or else in the long run you will kick yourself...trust me.

Education on this subject is essential!

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
WRX_STi_Driver said:
there is tons of info on this site you MUST read.

1. Yes you will lose what was saved by minoxidil.

With that said, you are only stimulating hair growth...not kicking the problem in the butt...you need to take/use some DHT Inhibitor. Propecia.

Keep reading and you will find a good regimen to follow to maximize you options. If you can't see your scalp...STOP USING/TAKING minoxidil and do preventative maintenance. Or else in the long run you will kick yourself...trust me.

Hey WRX_STi_Driver,
Thanks for the responce. I have already tried propecia but could not ejaculate when I was on it. I have been thinking of trying 5% spironolactone for maintenance. However, I have absolutely no intention of stopping minoxidil simply because I cant see my scalp anymore. That makes no sense to me. minoxidil is what thickened everything up. Why in the world would I stop using it? From what I know there is no reason to beleive that spironolactone or finasteride will maintain hairs grown or thickened from minoxidil.
Thanks,
desar

Reaction score
well, if that is how you feel then fine...I wish you the best (but you will regret this later).

but you should really educate yourself a little more. And determine what your hairloss is caused from.

Start here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/

minoxidil: Growth Stimulator
Propecia: DHT blocker

A quick lesson: If you have male pattern baldness, over time your hairs are growing thinner each cycle. This is due to too much DHT being produced in your system. DHT binds to your hair follicle DHT receptor sites...slowly over time squeezing the hair and each time it grows back smaller/thinner.

You are not treating the problem...only stimulating more hair groth which at some point will be useless because DHT will still be bound to your follicles.

Oh well, I am going to stop there...you know how to read.

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
WRX_STi_Driver said:
well, if that is how you feel then fine...I wish you the best (but you will regret this later).

but you should really educate yourself a little more. And determine what your hairloss is caused from.

Start here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/

minoxidil: Growth Stimulator
Propecia: DHT blocker

A quick lesson: If you have male pattern baldness, over time your hairs are growing thinner each cycle. This is due to too much DHT being produced in your system. DHT binds to your hair follicle DHT receptor sites...slowly over time squeezing the hair and each time it grows back smaller/thinner.

You are not treating the problem...only stimulating more hair groth which at some point will be useless because DHT will still be bound to your follicles.

Hey,
I understand where your coming from and I understand that minoxidil simply provides an "offset of growth" (to quote bryan) and doesn't treat the underlying cause. Thats why I want to add 5% spironolactone. However, to stop using minoxidil is the only thing i disagree with. It has helped me a lot. Anyway, thanks for the responces and good luck with your regimen!
Desar

ShedMaster

Reaction score
He used propecia and he had libido side effects, now he is switching to a topical dht prohibitor. Thats seems logical to me. I would keep using minoxidil too. One thing though, is that the side effects that you can experience tend to go away after a week or 2 of being on the propecia after your body has a chance to adjust. They did for me too. That is something to consider. good luck.

Reaction score
That's all fine...but if he has a full head of hair now...all he needs is to maintain. minoxidil will not work for you forever...and from what I hear not anywhere near as long as you can stay on Propecia. Save the minoxidil for when you really need it later on down the road.

putting all your nuts in one sack buddy...that's just not logical.

But hey...can't say someone never told you or warned you.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dont stop minoxidil.. in three months all your new hair will fall out.

minoxidil doesnt just stop working. Check the five year studies on this website.. After the first year, you will have a lot more hair, then year by year you will slowly start to lose it again, but at the end of five years you'll still have considerably more then when you started.

So do you actually develop a tollerance to minoxidil? I dont think so. I think the follicles are still being damaged by DHT (of course!), eventually to the point where minoxidil isnt enough to keep them growing. SO, when you COMBINE minoxidil and a DHT inhibitor (preferably finasteride, but also dutasteride, or topicals like spironolactone, Fluidil, and RU) I bet you will see results that will last a decade or more.

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
WRX_STi_Driver said:
That's all fine...but if he has a full head of hair now...all he needs is to maintain.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I am far from having a full head of hair. I still have issues with my hairline but even that has been getting better since I used minoxidil. Thats why I am afraid to stop using. If I knew for a fact that Dht inhibitor would maintain my minoxidil hairs I would not have any problems dropping minoxidil. But I am dreading the shed that may occur.

Shedmaster.....
How long were you on propecia before you had side effects? I was on it for about 3 months before I started shooting blanks. Then I simply weened myself of it over the next 3 months. Maybe I will try it again....but dependancy on hormonal altering drug is something I am a bit concerned about.

Thanks guys,
Desar

minoxidil will not work for you forever...and from what I hear not anywhere near as long as you can stay on Propecia. Save the minoxidil for when you really need it later on down the road.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
WRX_STi_Driver said:
putting all your nuts in one sack buddy...that's just not logical.

But all hes using is minoxidil.

On a personal note, I have all of my nuts in one sack. :wow:

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
desar, please stop writing text inbetween the
and [/qu0te] marks. You can remove text from between those marks if its not relivant, but those two marks signify to the forum software where WRX's text is. Without the quote block, its difficult to decipher your message..

Read my post above. You may also want to try taking just a very low dose of finasteride. Studies have shown that .2mg of finasteride can be effective on hairloss, and you might not have those side effects. That *and* a topical inhibitor would probably make for a really solid regimen.