minoxidil temples...

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been on propecia for about 22 months now and have to say that the quality of my hair is better...it has definately stabalised will hopefully stay this way for the forseeable. My only concern now is to gain a little back and am contemplating either minoxidil or FUE. I know the latter is quite a big decision but just don't see how minoxidil can make a big difference to the temple areas? the temples aren't terrible but are receeded and would ideally like a little more hair to bring them forward if only a cm.
I also have concerns over a minoxidil shed...if i apply minoxidil to the balding temple area then is there a risk that it will affect the hairs further up and make the situation worse?

im sure this question has been asked a thousand times but would appreciate any comments.

thanks.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
If your going to eventually get FUE or seriously consider it in the not so distant future then its definately worth giving Rogaine Foam a go on the hairline. Ive had some reasonable success with Foam on my hairline. Its not great but i believe its better than what i had 12 months ago. Its a slow process. im going for Fue myself in the future, for now its all about maintaince for me.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Yes and no. Its a roller coaster for sure. Some months you have a lot of hair, other months it seems thinner than ever. I cant explain it, but the net result is its ultimately better.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using the foam on my temples and hairline for about a year about once a day, sometimes I would apply it 2 times a day thing like I'm suppose to, but that was usually like twice a week. Now I'm doing it religiously 2 times a day and I still haven't had any shed. I was actually waiting for it to happen since everyone says that it happens, but nothing. Same thing with the Propecia, no shed. At first i was thinking that I wasn't taking the right thing and that I was doing it all wrong.

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
right...

if i apply the minoxidil on the areas that a re completely bald up by my temples then will it have any effect on the hair above it. will it cause the other hair to shed and make it look even worse before it gets better? How much of an area around where you directly apply it does it have an effect?

bigblackattack

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to this, but am in the same boat as you. All my balding is temple/receding hairline related. Basically what I do is apply the foam to the actual hairline and some on the bald skin where no hair exists. If you think about it, the skin with no hair has no active hair follicles so the chances for regrowth isn't as strong as the chances of strengthening/maintaining your hairline with active DHT. Keep in mind rogaine isn't for hairlines so technically that dead space isn't supposed to be affected. However, if you can afford it and are hopeful like me, applying some can be a safe practice. Anything is worth a shot and I mean you are already trying something to help.

Also, I apply the foam only in the morning and the liquid at night. This saves money and I also remember reading foam is sometimes known eat hairlines harder than the liquid so why not try the best of both worlds and see, right?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
If your going to eventually get FUE or seriously consider it in the not so distant future then its definately worth giving Rogaine Foam a go on the hairline. Ive had some reasonable success with Foam on my hairline. Its not great but i believe its better than what i had 12 months ago. Its a slow process. im going for Fue myself in the future, for now its all about maintaince for me.

same here, I am planning to get a FUE when I am 30, until then its all maintenese.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
FUE in a word is a type of hair transpant :)

I want about 1000-1500 in my frontal hairline only. Rest of my hair is ok. My crown is quite weak but I can live with that.

Im pretty sure Ragindemon wants the same thing or is looking into it. Im still learning about hair transplants, there is so much to consider! Its quite mind boggling really.. :shock:

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
bilbobaggins said:
right...

if i apply the minoxidil on the areas that a re completely bald up by my temples then will it have any effect on the hair above it. will it cause the other hair to shed and make it look even worse before it gets better? How much of an area around where you directly apply it does it have an effect?

This is very possible, the first month of my regimen (big3) my hair looked alot worse. After then, however, it got alot better. I was also a frontal receeder.