Minoxidil Tablets Vs Topical Application

Ocker

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just started Minoxidil 1mg tablets. I was not keen on the topical treatment as I heard it makes your hair greasy. Has anyone else tried the 1mg tablets? My dermatologist advises that a recent trial yielded positive results with no bad side effects.

I was using Finasteride for about 3 years and last year switched to Dutasteride. I have been able to maintain hair density however the widows peaks are still receding. Not sure whether to drop dutasteride and go solely on minoxidil.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Ocker

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read of people who can't maintain on dutasteride and not finding much use for the foam have success with oral minoxidil. That was at 5-10mg dose though. A 1mg dose would probably be just as effective as topical but I assume there'd be more general hirsutism. I'd stay on dutasteride whilst you gauge the minoxidil effect, really there's no way to know apart from knowing yourself

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
A few members have tried oral minoxidil. I can't say I've read much about their experience however.

Of note, the biological half-life of oral minoxidil is about 4 hours*1 - meaning that after this amount of time only half of the compound remains active -, while the half-life of topical minoxidil is said to be closer to 22 hours*2. Thus, it's possible that only a topical application of minoxidil results in a significant enough effect on hair.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to hear of any other feedback.

*1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil
*2 According to Dr. Bernstein
https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/rogaine-minoxidil/ said:
Once a day topical use of Rogaine (topical minoxidil 2% and 5%) seems to be almost as effective as using it twice a day. The reason is, that although minoxidil has a relatively short half-life of several hours when given orally, when topically applied, it has a half-life of 22 hours in the skin. This suggests that once a day dosing is a reasonable option. It is important to realize that Pfizer, the company that now makes Rogaine, specifically states that it will be less effective if used only once a day.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read into oral min years ago after seeing someone get really good results. But the side effects sound horrible. I wouldn't try it.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
For what it's worth here some information that may educate you more.

oralminoxidil2.jpg

oralminoxidil1.jpg

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is definitely a very interesting article.

The only good thing about topical Minoxidil, in my opinion, is there aren't many side effects.

Of course, there's not many terminal hairs either (permanently).

Blood pressure medications can have side effects, such as low libido (due to blood not being
congested in one area of the body).

@Swoop

I have to ask, are you a Norwood one?

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, now that you're friends with Dante92, somebody has to put androgen back
on the board!

Unfortunately, I'm an old man. So I've got to spread the hate!

me and dante arent friends

we have a love hate relationship