Minoxidil Sulfate vs Regular Minoxidil

Minoxidil Sulfate vs Regular Minoxidil

• Total voters

but What about Today

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil sulfate

“An important step in understanding minoxidil’s mechanism of action on hair follicles was to determine the drug’s active form. We used organ-cultured vibrissa follicles to test whether it is minoxidil or its sulfated metabolite, minoxidil sulfate, that stimulates hair growth. Follicles from neonatal mice were cultured with or without drugs and effects were assessed by measuring incorporation of radiolabeled cysteine in hair shafts of the treated follicles. Assays of minoxidil sulfotransferase activity indicated that vibrissae follicles metabolize minoxidil to minoxidil sulfate. Dose-response studies showed that minoxidil sulfate is 14 times more potent than minoxidil in stimulating cysteine incorporation in cultured follicles. Three drugs that block production of intrafollicular minoxidil sulfate were tested for their effects on drug-induced hair growth. Diethylcarbamazine proved to be a noncompetitive inhibitor of sulfotransferase and prevented hair growth stimulation by minoxidil but not by minoxidil sulfate. Inhibiting the formation of intracellular PAPS with chlorate also blocked the action of minoxidil but not of minoxidil sulfate. Acetaminophen, a potent sulfate scavenger blocked cysteine incorporation by minoxidil. It also blocked follicular stimulation by minoxidil sulfate apparently by directly removing the sulfate from the drug. Experiments with U-51,607, a potent minoxidil analog that also forms a sulfated metabolite, showed that its activity was inhibited by both chlorate and diethylcarbamazine. These studies show that sulfation is a critical step for hair-growth effects of minoxidil and that it is the sulfated metabolite that directly affects hair follicles.â€￾

The authors of the article also mention the possibility that the difference between good responders and poor responders to minoxidil may be due to a difference in their sulfotransferases metabolism in the skin. Since minoxidil sulphate is already sulphated its action does no longer depend on the sulfotransferases, therefore poor minoxidil responders may become good responders with minoxidil sulphate.

The sulfotransferases are also needed to activate physiological growth factors like HGF to their active sulphated form. Cytosolic sulfotransferases (ST) catalyze the sulfation of various phenolic agents, catecholamines, thyroid hormones, steroids, drugs, and procarcinogens, usually resulting in the inactivation and subsequent excretion of the compound. T. P. Dooley did a study Exp Dermatol speculates that sulfotransferases might also be involved in bioinactivation of estrogens and androgens within skin. Therefore it is perhaps not a good idea to distract the sulfotransferases from their normal useful jobs by keeping them busy with the conversion of minoxidil to minoxidil sulphate. Obviously by using directly minoxidil sulphate one can avoid these possible adverse effects.

I wonder how Dr. Lee 15% minoxidil is comparable to minoxidil sulfate, Im going to email him and ask what he thinks. Spectral DNC and Nanominox-MS contain minoxidil sulfate. idk, what you think?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i don't like putting faith in research when done on mice, frankly their anatomy is so much different to that of humans, this includes the hair
i see the active group on minoxidil to be the NO group that dilates the blood vessels, so my question is how does the added sulphate grouping have any beneficial effect?

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Well from what I have read, minoxidil's hair growth actions are far from just dilating the blood vessels. Maybe one of its other reactions require it to be in its Sulfate form. I really need to do some reading on minoxidil.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here.

There is really not that much info online about minoxidil sulfate & not too many ready formulations for sale, that I could find

I have been using a 5% minoxidil sulfate topical and adding 5 ml's of DMSO for a roughly 4% DMSO concentration. I've been using minoxidil sulfate for 6 months now and been using it with my added DMSO for 3 months. I do believe that I am getting better results than when I used to use regular minoxidil alone.

I read that DMSO is not soluble in regular minoxidil, but since minoxidil sulfate is soluble in water would that make a difference? No precipitate seems to come out when I mix the two, but I never tried mixing DMSO with regular minoxidil. Has anyone ever mixed regular minoxidil with DMSO? Was there any percipitate?

As far as the minoxidil sulfate stability issue, I was concerned about this also, so when I bought my first bottle of minoxidil sulfate, I set about an ounce aside, & even after six months, there has been no precipitate.

I read that minoxidil sulfate becomes "unstable", it reverts back to regular minoxidil. If my minoxidil sulfate solution became unstable, wouldn't there be some noticeable precipitate that would fall out of the solution due to the fact that regular minoxidil is not soluble in water?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Luckylucy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pamela,

I'm also pioneering (guinea pigging) the use of minoxidil sulfate 5% and DMSO.

I add about 3% DMSO to my concoction, and have never had any precipitate from either the minoxidil sulfate or the DMSO, even after letting it sit for a couple weeks.

I guess the all incorporate pretty well so far.

LL

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read that minoxidil sulfate is really unstable and degrades in a matter of days? correct me if I am wrong.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Buckthorn,

Yea, I read that to and it was a main concern I had.

I think read that when minoxidil sulfate becomes "unstable", it reverts back to regular minoxidil. If a minoxidil sulfate solution became unstable & reverted back to regular minoxidil, wouldn't there be some noticeable precipitate that would fall out of the solution due to the fact that regular minoxidil is not soluble in water?

I just found an article stating:

"Post by Dr. Proctor.
“Dr P sez: The problem is that minoxidil sulfate is unstable in solution, hydrolyzing back to minoxidil.

I found it here: http://www.regrowth.com/hair-loss-forums/topic/minoxidil-sulfate/

I'm not sure how credible Dr. Proctor is, but I thought I would post it anyways.

Or is regular minoxidil maybe "slightly soluble" in water??? But, I could have sworn that it is not soluble at all in water.

None of the minoxidil sulfate that I use has ever had any fallout, even after letting it sit in a clear glass for quite some time.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
PW

resu

Reaction score
The claim is that for the people that lack the enzymes that transform into the sulfate state could use this instead but even regular minoxidil requires lab equipment to make I don't think these diy solutions work to begin with.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Resu,

Sorry for sounding ignorant. I didn't quite understand that.

Did you mean enzymes on the scalp? And that individuals that lack that could use minoxidil sulfate.

If so is there a way to test for scalp enzymes?

If not, sorry for not understanding.

Thanks for your input and help.

resu

Reaction score
Some people aren't able to convert minoxidil into the active chemical minoxidil sulfate, the claim is that these are the non-responding people to minoxidil because they lack the enzyme that converts it.

longhair1983

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason why minoxidil sulfate doe not form any precipitate when reverted back to minoxidil and sulfate is that it forms minoxidil and sulfonic acid. Minoxidil is very water soluble when acid (like sulfonic acid) is present.

There is a good article on Minoxidilmax explaining why minoxidil sulfate is not good.

Hi Buckthorn,

Yea, I read that to and it was a main concern I had.

I think read that when minoxidil sulfate becomes "unstable", it reverts back to regular minoxidil. If a minoxidil sulfate solution became unstable & reverted back to regular minoxidil, wouldn't there be some noticeable precipitate that would fall out of the solution due to the fact that regular minoxidil is not soluble in water?

I just found an article stating:

"Post by Dr. Proctor.
“Dr P sez: The problem is that minoxidil sulfate is unstable in solution, hydrolyzing back to minoxidil.

I found it here: http://www.regrowth.com/hair-loss-forums/topic/minoxidil-sulfate/

I'm not sure how credible Dr. Proctor is, but I thought I would post it anyways.

Or is regular minoxidil maybe "slightly soluble" in water??? But, I could have sworn that it is not soluble at all in water.

None of the minoxidil sulfate that I use has ever had any fallout, even after letting it sit in a clear glass for quite some time.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
PW

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
The reason why minoxidil sulfate doe not form any precipitate when reverted back to minoxidil and sulfate is that it forms minoxidil and sulfonic acid. Minoxidil is very water soluble when acid (like sulfonic acid) is present.

There is a good article on Minoxidilmax explaining why minoxidil sulfate is not good.

I found an interesting study about how a water-based minoxidil topical has a better bioavailability than a pg based minoxidil solution (they used Rogaine).

It claims that:

"The dorsal skins of rat were treated with various water-soluble minoxidil compositions or 5% Rogaine for 1 hour. The intact or decutinized skins were cut, and homogenized. The permeated minoxidil was extracted and analyzed by HPLC. The results indicated the 2% water-soluble minoxidil composition achieved the same penetrating ability as that of 5% Rogaine."

I found it here: https://www.google.com/patents/US20110112125

I'm not to sure how reliable the study is, I just found it to be interesting since I'm also using a water based minoxidil topical, albeit a different form of minoxidil water based topical.

I tried to find more info on the claim that minoxidil is "very soluble when acid is present", but I ended up landing on the above study somehow.

Longhair,

Would you have any more sources on how minoxidil is more soluble in water in the presence of acid? I found all of this to be very thought provoking. Thanks for the insight.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also read that regular Minoxidil doesn't work on some individuals because they lack a certain naturally produced enzyme on their scalp/skin, & therefore, they will never see any results.

Minoxidil Sulfate takes care of this problem because whether or not the individual has this "enzyme" it will work regardless.

I can't speak for anyone else, but minoxidil Sulfate has been a God send for me.

I can even see new hairs that are growing well below my normal hairline (about an inch to an inch & a half). So much so, that sometimes I have to pluck them because they are growing too low below my hairline.

But, that could also be because sometimes I'm in a rush and do not properly wash and minoxidil Sulfate that drips down my forehead.

I should try applying it to the back of my hand as an experiment to see if I grow hair there,lol.

Take care.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not a firm believer in Minoxidil for hair loss. Without some anti DHT agent, it's useless,
in my own opinion.

That said, laser therapy actually speeds up the effects of Minoxidl. It reacts as a sulfate
enzyme. It enhances the Minoxidil effects.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
That said, laser therapy actually speeds up the effects of Minoxidl. It reacts as a sulfate

Hi rclark,

When you say that the laser therapy reacts as a sulfate enzyme, are you talking about using laser therapy with regular minoxidil or with a minoxidil sulfate topical?

After doing a some reading online, It seems that sulfate enzymes are really important for hair growth.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not a firm believer in Minoxidil for hair loss. Without some anti DHT agent, it's useless,
in my own opinion.

Is there a decently priced laser therapy for home use ?
If there are a few particular products you could recommend that would be great.
Already using minoxidil 2x a day, so I could use laser therapy a try with minoxidil. Thanks.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a decently priced laser therapy for home use ?
If there are a few particular products you could recommend that would be great.
Already using minoxidil 2x a day, so I could use laser therapy a try with minoxidil. Thanks.

Never tried it. Pavi has, I believe. His hair is in very good shape (of course, he's 21?, not sure, that
might help as well).

You should ask him.

They do sell them here as well. Or at med wellness center.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if they are using these laser therapies with regular minoxidil or Minoxidil sulfate.

Wouldn't a minoxidil sulfate topical already contain the needed "sulfate, or am I wrong.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi rclark,

When you say that the laser therapy reacts as a sulfate enzyme, are you talking about using laser therapy with regular minoxidil or with a minoxidil sulfate topical?

After doing a some reading online, It seems that sulfate enzymes are really important for hair growth.

With regular Minoxidil. It seems to be a catalyst to make it work faster.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Minoxidil by itself. I think it only has temporary effects on
its own.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
They do sell it here. It's in the hairlosstalk store.

That said, I don't use it myself.