Minoxidil stopped working - do i need a higher strength?

paul

Reaction score
Hi. I discovered this forum a few days and have found it very informative.

Here's my story:

I'm 31 years old and am probably about a 3.5 on the norwood scale. I started receeding about 12 years ago and by 25 I was getting concerned so started taking Finestaride. After about 2 years I realised that this had not stopped my hairloss so stopped taking it and started 5% minoxidil.

This worked great as it thickened my hair and I even grew a few new hairs on my hairline. I was really pleased. That was 4 years ago, about 8 months ago I noticed that my hair has started to thin again so the minoxidil must be stopping working.

What do you recommend I do? will a higher strength minoxidil kick start the process?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I don't think finestaride works for me so what else can I try on top of minoxidil.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
You would have been better off if you used both treatments concomitantly. Minoxidil is a tricky drug when is comes to hair-loss in men. Minoxidil forces hair to grow longer and thicker, but it doesn't interrupt the actual balding process. So when you use it by itself, the balding process will eventually "catch up" and overpower the offset of growth that minoxidil offered.

I would recommend getting back on Propecia. While it may not have stopped your hair-loss, it almost certainly slowed it down. I'm convinced that finasteride will slow down hair-loss to some extent in just about everyone who takes it. Higher percentages of minoxidil could be beneficial, but i think your best bet is using the two drugs together.

paul

Reaction score
If only I had found this forum 4 years ago!

should i try a higher dose of finestaride? i notice you use 1.25mg, did that have betters results than 1mg?

Also, did you use 15% xandrox from the beginning?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
PC UK said:
If only I had found this forum 4 years ago!

should i try a higher dose of finestaride? i notice you use 1.25mg, did that have betters results than 1mg?

Also, did you use 15% xandrox from the beginning?

Yes, I started minoxidil with 15%. It has worked great for me, especially in the frontal region. Finasteride has a relatively flat dose response. 1.25 is not going to be much different than 1mg in terms of results. I only take it because I don't want to cut Proscar pills in fifths.

paul

Reaction score
Anyone had a similar problem? i.e starting to thin again after success with minoxidil?

did a higher strength work?

Risugo

Established Member
Reaction score
PC UK said:
Hi. I discovered this forum a few days and have found it very informative.

Here's my story:

I'm 31 years old and am probably about a 3.5 on the norwood scale. I started receeding about 12 years ago and by 25 I was getting concerned so started taking Finestaride. After about 2 years I realised that this had not stopped my hairloss so stopped taking it and started 5% minoxidil.

This worked great as it thickened my hair and I even grew a few new hairs on my hairline. I was really pleased. That was 4 years ago, about 8 months ago I noticed that my hair has started to thin again so the minoxidil must be stopping working.

What do you recommend I do? will a higher strength minoxidil kick start the process?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I don't think finestaride works for me so what else can I try on top of minoxidil.
I few months ago I have asked Bryan the same thing and he replied,
"I'm certainly not a big fan of using increased minoxidil concentrations! I strongly suggest that you add other substances which are currently completely MISSING from your regimen; something like copper-peptides would be an obvious choice (Hair Signals or Tricomin or Folligen or Dr. Proctor's products). You might also consider Dr. Proctor's products for all the other things they contain, which are exclusively associated with him; for example, phenytoin, NANO, and the powerful "turbocharged" SODs like TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. He seems to think the latter ingredients are the most important ones of all."

paul

Reaction score
Thanks Risugo

I think i'm gonna give Tricomin a go, and also try 6% minoxidil from Dr Lee.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 6% should be your next option.I would say if you want to really speed things up a bit as far as results are concerned,try the 10% Minoxidil with 5% Azelaic acid along with 0.5-1.0 mg finasteride everyday.If you experience itching,add Nizoral in there as well.In my book this the best way to tackle male pattern baldness once you are past a NW3 and no longer responding to the 5% Minoxidil.

http://www.amazon.com/Minoxidil-Inhibit ... 412&sr=8-5

paul

Reaction score
mpbsux20 said:
Yeah the 6% should be your next option.I would say if you want to really speed things up a bit as far as results are concerned,try the 10% Minoxidil with 5% Azelaic acid along with 0.5-1.0 mg finasteride everyday.If you experience itching,add Nizoral in there as well.In my book this the best way to tackle male pattern baldness once you are past a NW3 and no longer responding to the 5% Minoxidil.

http://www.amazon.com/Minoxidil-Inhibit ... 412&sr=8-5

Thanks, not seen the 10% before. Might give get to use at night and use the 6% in the morning.