Minoxidil Side Effects? (wrinkles, Puffy Eyes, Etc.)

celso217

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys recently my dermatologist recommended that I start finasteride and minoxidil. I was just wondering if the minoxidil sides (specifically puffy face, wrinkles, dark circles under eyes) are over exaggerated on the internet similar to the finasteride sides. Could really use some reassurance here before I start since I'm already freaking out about the impending shed. I don't really want my face to look bad too. I'm planning on only applying it to and around my hairline. Is there a way to safely start applying minoxidil? I was going to use a small amount of foam in the morning and maybe 0.5 mL of liquid total at night.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never experienced those sides

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's variable. I seem to be very sensitive to it. I don't notice it much with topical although the effect is there a tiny bit now that I know what to look for.

It's oral minoxidil that blasts me with these side effects like crazy. If I take 5 mg twice daily after about two weeks my eyes look like they're puffing out so much the skin is going to fold over when I wake up in the morning. It's insane really. I look like a 90 year old. I laughed so hard at the absurdity of it the first time I saw this happen.

Topically it's tolerable though.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of people who use minoxidil topically and in normal amounts do not suffer these sides. In the amounts and way you plan to use it I think there's very little chance, if any.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a puffy face the first couple of months i was on it but it eventually subsided and also excess body hair growth. I never noticed the bloated face until looking back on photos.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive just recently started on oral minoxidil, but only for a few days so its still too early to tell but Im hoping to not get any skin issues. I have used 10% topical before and still didn't get sides.

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil for years any never had any of these crazy side effects apart from shedding when I start using it and itchy scalp if you use the liquid version...

celso217

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I'm new to all this stuff. If I'm applying minoxidil to the hairline, should I apply it just to the areas where I lost hair like the temples or should i also apply it maybe 1cm above my hairline as well?