minoxidil / Rogaine warning...

lesterpaul

Reaction score
I have been using this for years and here is something ZI have noticed:
Minoxidil, if used for an extended period of time, will appear to quit working. I'm not sure of the scientific facts concerning this, but it seems that continuous use over a long period of time makes it lose its effects. Massive sheds seem to follow.
The thing to do it to take a break. 3 weeks on and one week off works. I use a 10% solution every other day. Maybe 2 months on and a week or two off would do.

Just my observations.

zil

Reaction score
Are you using finasteride or any other DHT blockers with it? minoxidil, if it works for you, will probably be overpowered by the progression of balding if DHT continues to run wild.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
zil said:
minoxidil, if it works for you, will probably be overpowered by the progression of balding if DHT continues to run wild.

Exactly. It may be that minoxidil doesn't "quit working" at all, it's just that balding continues at its normal rate. If that's correct, then there's really no point in taking a break from minoxidil.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've seen people on finasteride who seem to have the same happen to them. I really do believe that minoxidil looses its effeciency after a certain time.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe the meds do lose a bit of effectiveness over time but DHT is ever present in our blood and scalps and more is produced as we age. At 30 years old, I've had an explosion of body and arm hair and more diffuse thinning along with it.