Minoxidil Response Experiment has anyone tried using a Test Area

Sir Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about trying topical minoxidil, but since this requires a daily application along with leaving it in your hair for about 4 hours I would like to do my best to confirm that I’m a responder. Has anyone tried a “test area” prior to fully committing such as along the hairline, temples, or even the sideburn area? If so when you committed to full scalp application did the results match the test area? If using a test area to gauge the response is a thing that has worked for other users that’s definitely the route i

From my understanding there is also a test available that can tell you if your scalp has the required sulfate to have a good response to minoxidil, but I’ve heard it’s not always accurate and it’s fairly expensive which isn’t a good combination. If anyone has any experience with this as well that would definitely be helpful.

I’m also very interested in trying oral minoxidil, but unfortunately my current dermatologist didn’t want to prescribe it unless I were to use it instead of finasteride. This was a bit frustrating as I tried to explain that if you’re not tackling DHT suppression you wouldn’t be attacking male pattern baldness at its route cause and that finasteride is necessary as well and that the oral minoxidil would need to be an addition to that.

I’m also interested to hear what people’s responses to taking oral minoxidil has been along with side effects if applicable. I’ve visited Reddit quite a bit and seems that experiences have been all over the place there so I’m sure it’s a situation where you really don’t know until you try it for yourself, but regardless I’m still curious!