Minoxidil Recurring Shedding Cycles

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a post about this in one of the other forums, but I’m just going to put it out there again:

I use 2mg oral minoxidil and 2 x 5% topical minoxidil a day and have been using these since around June-July 2015. Does ANYONE have recurring sheds whilst taking minoxidil? I mean like, 3-6 months of regrowth, then like 1-3 months where you shed tons and lose obscene amounts of terminal hair, get hairline recession, lose density, but then it tapers off, your shed slows down and you get regrowth for another 3-6 months, then it all happens again? I have seen other hairloss forums with posts talking about how minoxidil synchronises your hair shedding and regrowth cycles, but people tend to say they taper off after 1-2 years and the cycles will decrease in severity. For me, it’s every 3 months like clockwork since July 2015, the sheds have always been the same, no decrease in severity, with hairline recession and regrowth, and all over loss of thick terminal hairs. As you can imagine this means that these constant cycles have left my hair worse and worse each time as I can’t grow hair fast enough to compensate for the loss. I’m so baffled, scared, angry and sad. At lot of people gave amazing results on minoxidil, and I had to be the only person I have heard of who sheds as quickly as every 3 months with no change in the amount or the pattern. At this stage I will be totally bald in a year. It had been suggested to me that an underlying hormonal or health imbalance could be the cause, and i thought maybe this was the case too, but I spoke to my gyn who already treats my hormonal issues with the pill, and he said that while I’m on it I won’t have any fluctuations in my own hormones to cause imbalance because the pill totally replaces what I don’t have. I am not iron deficient, I have had every other blood study you can think of. It can’t be anything other than Rogaine. Somebody tell me that they have experienced this, and that it will go away!

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Georgie,

I experience the same right now. I use oral monoxidil too.
I also often experience very hard shedding and also terminal hair (BUT i clearly prefer to loose terminal hair than small / short hair though) If you loose short hair, that is the worst. It means they had not even the time to grow before dying.

recently i switched from loniten from alldaychemist to loniten from inhousepharmacy.
So it could be many things

Option 1. ADC was fake and IHP is real which cause an initial temporary shedding
Option 2. ADC was real and IHP is fake which cause my minoxidil dependent hair to shed
Option 3. They both real an it is just a temporary shedding wich is not linked to that (it is not the first time I experience this)
Option 4. I start to loose my hair again

Long story short I have no idea to know where my shedding comes from!
And i am tired to buy drugs online, i have faked a prescription and sent it to a real pharmacy in UK.
I hope it will work, price is the same and I will be sure I don't get fake meds!

Best

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
there is another Option 5. During one month I was out of all day chemist and therefore I used an old 5 mg loniten box the time that the new box arrived from Inhouse....

If it because i decreased the dose during 6 weeks..... Trust me LONITEN is powerful ! as my shedding is massive at the moment! It is possible though

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
there is another Option 5. During one month I was out of all day chemist and therefore I used an old 5 mg loniten box the time that the new box arrived from Inhouse....

If it because i decreased the dose during 6 weeks..... Trust me LONITEN is powerful ! as my shedding is massive at the moment! It is possible though
I always got my via prescription from a compounding pharmacy, always legit, always got shedding. I think minoxidil (especially oral) just has a tendency to synchronise hair cycles. I lose short, long, thin, miniturised - all kinds of hairs. :(

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
I always got my via prescription from a compounding pharmacy, always legit, always got shedding. I think minoxidil (especially oral) just has a tendency to synchronise hair cycles. I lose short, long, thin, miniturised - all kinds of hairs. :(

I know you stress but your hair looks great. Sometimes we tend to over focus... Me the first.
Sometimes i go to hardcore period of shedding (like for two weeks) but the most important is that hair continue to grow and don't miniaturise. I have also the feeling that minoxidil makes grow my hair really fast! and synchronise shed also.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know you stress but your hair looks great. Sometimes we tend to over focus... Me the first.
Sometimes i go to hardcore period of shedding (like for two weeks) but the most important is that hair continue to grow and don't miniaturise. I have also the feeling that minoxidil makes grow my hair really fast! and synchronise shed also.
The number of hairs I shed doesn’t fluctuate I have realised. I just go through periods of 3-4 months where my hair grows, then is totally stops growing for another 3-4 months. I get a lot of miniaturisation, because I lose mostly miniturised hairs and short hairs. I know that my hair stops growing because my hairline receded, hair eyelash and eyebrows get thinner, and my overall body hair gets thinner and grows slower. I don’t know why the hell this has happened to me. I can’t find anyone else who has this problem.

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
The number of hairs I shed doesn’t fluctuate I have realised. I just go through periods of 3-4 months where my hair grows, then is totally stops growing for another 3-4 months. I get a lot of miniaturisation, because I lose mostly miniturised hairs and short hairs. I know that my hair stops growing because my hairline receded, hair eyelash and eyebrows get thinner, and my overall body hair gets thinner and grows slower. I don’t know why the hell this has happened to me. I can’t find anyone else who has this problem.

Indeed hard to say, but if it is also lashes ect it means it is probably not only/simply Female pattern baldness but something more

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry for replying to an old thread but the same thing is happening to me.When I got on minoxidil my hair stopped shedding than after 3 months it started shedding again.I thought it was due to SD that I had at the time.I shaved my head to stop SD and the shedding stopped.After I shaved my head I got decent regrowth and I was making sure that SD doesnt come back again.And right after 3 months shed attacks again,so I shaved my head again,but this time I lost a good amout of density(around 25%).I really couldnt figure out what is wrong with me so I realized that maybe it could be my finasteride/minoxidil timing.Even after getting timing right in the exact minute,after 3 months again shed attacks.At this point I dont really know what to do,I tried everything but I shed each time.Have you figured out what was the trigger for you?Im going to focus on 4 main things:1.SD
2.finasteride/Min timing
3.Stress
4.Diet
I havent really made a change in my regime so im going to rule that out.If everything is perfect out of these 4 in 3 months after my shedding stops but shedding comes back again than im pretty sure im doomed.

Last edited:

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sorry for replying to an old thread but the same thing is happening to me.When I got on minoxidil my hair stopped shedding than after 3 months it started shedding again.I thought it was due to SD that I had at the time.I shaved my head to stop SD and the shedding stopped.After I shaved my head I got decent regrowth and I was making sure that SD doesnt come back again.And right after 3 months shed attacks again,so I shaved my head again,but this time I lost a good amout of density(around 25%).I really couldnt figure out what is wrong with me so I realized that maybe it could be my finasteride/minoxidil timing.Even after getting timing right in the exact minute,after 3 months again shed attacks.At this point I dont really know what to do,I tried everything but I shed each time.Have you figured out what was the trigger for you?Im going to focus on 4 main things:1.SD
2.finasteride/Min timing
3.Stress
4.Diet
I havent really made a change in my regime so im going to rule that out.If everything is perfect out of these 4 in 3 months after my shedding stops but shedding comes back again than im pretty sure im doomed.
Are you female? I have noticed this is a more common thing for women.

Unfortunately it’s not related to anything but how our body metabolises the drug. We are just the unlucky ones. As far as I know, noting will change the pattern.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you female? I have noticed this is a more common thing for women.

Unfortunately it’s not related to anything but how our body metabolises the drug. We are just the unlucky ones. As far as I know, noting will change the pattern.
Male.Are you losing more and more ground after each shed or are you bouncing back each time?I knew it im doomed...Than I can only hope that those cycles will once stop.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Male.Are you losing more and more ground after each shed or are you bouncing back each time?I knew it im doomed...Than I can only hope that those cycles will once stop.
I’m sorry to say for me that it has only been downhill.

Maybe stick with it and see if it stops. Otherwise you just lose whatever you regrew and then some.