Minoxidil Only

lmdavies

Reaction score
Hello, Is there anyone here who has had sucess with using Minoxidil only (i.e. not with finasteride or anything else)?

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil will not stop you hair loss from progressing it will only grow you a little additional hair.

lmdavies

Reaction score
I thought that Minoxidil keeps the hair in the growing cycle for longer, i.e makes existing hair thicker as well. Systematic DHT inhibitors clash with me so if Minoxidil does not work then I guess I'm f*cked. Just found a very cheap UK supplier who can supply that Kirkland 5% stuff for £20 - might as well give it a shot.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
minoxidil does not stop the underlying cause of hairloss, but provides an offset of growth. Thats why minoxidil is best when combined with propecia.

lmdavies

Reaction score
OK - What happens if you dont respond to finasteride, is it still worth giving Minoxidil a shot?

WS6-TA

Established Member
Reaction score
For the best chance at keeping and possibly regrowing you hair you need to inhibit DHT in yor scalp. If you cant take finasteride systimatically, try a topical dht inhibitor such as spironolactone, fluridil or 17-a something...search for it.. im going to try a topical dht inhibitor also, just cant decide yet...

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think of azelic acid in xandrox as a topical inhibitor?

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
if you are persistent with using minoxidil twice a day every day with only a couple of missed treatments here and there it will grow alittle to a decent amount of hair on your head...which means if youre lucky whatever it grows will ofset what youve lost or what you grow will equal what you lose hence maintenance--ofcourse that only targets the actual growth aspect of the problem--by taking propecia you will nip the culprit in the bud but if you cant take finasteride then minoxidil will do well anyway, its just if youve waited too long you wont see much of a cosmetic difference-just the same shitty hair youve had for the past year and maybe a couple hairs here and there on the hair line and maybe alittle more hair on the vertex--it doesnt grow thick hair per se for most people..like my balding spot got smaller the first time i used just minoxidil and nizoral and now its getting smaller once again--but theres no real thickness --just alittle better coverage-which i think is awesome in and of itself--so you can maintain what you have or get slightly better using minoxidil--it just doesnt target the cause of the problem

The Gardener

Reaction score
lmdavies said:
Just found a very cheap UK supplier who can supply that Kirkland 5% stuff for £20 - might as well give it a shot.

I hope that is for a three-pack!? If you are quoting the price for a bottle, it seems outrageous!

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
hey i spend 68 USD every 21-27 days on minoxidil 5 % with retin-a--well worth it tho since in my experience it doubles the speed at which minoxidil works and you begin to see a slight difference--andthey say retin-a has some antiandrogenetic properties as well...all i know is if you cant take finasteride why dont you incorporate nizoral itno your regimen--it should already be a part of it...as ketoconazole(forgive my spelling) is a know mild anti androgen and cant hurt--altho on its own it wont do much and look into antiandrogenetic supplements like saw palmetto--no matter what soem people say here ive known a few that swear by it---at the very least it could maintain what you have possibly and zinc tablets and pumpkin seed oil and so on..

lmdavies

Reaction score
Cheers for the info guys. I will go use both Minoxidil and also Zix (Zinc +B6). That price I quoted was for a three-pack.

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
lmdavies said:
OK - What happens if you dont respond to finasteride, is it still worth giving Minoxidil a shot?

if you only want use 1 topical, use spironolactone/fluridil, not minoxidil alone

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a 4 pack of Kirkland on ebay for £22...Arrived in 5 days even when shipped from the states. Great stuff!

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
ya my dermatologist is a scam artist ...but the convenience of not having to wait for something to be shipped and the risk of upsetting my regimen( everyones minoxidil/retin-a is different--if dr lees formula has a different minoxidil/retin-a ration that could probably the risk of a shed all over)