Minoxidil once a day?

Carlos..

Reaction score
I have started using Kirkland Minoxidil 5%, I thought it would dry and just look normal, but it looks and feels very greasy. Would it be a bad idea to use minoxidil just at night time? Just hoping and praying the damaged her doesn't fall out to much (thats if it does) and make me look really really thin :roll:

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
You may want to post this in the Minoxidil forum. I dropped down to once per day after using it it twice a day for years and nothing changed but I do use more than I am supposed to also.

ali777

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll go with the previous post. It may not be as effective but many users use it once a day.

Actually, I suggest you try something like Dr Lee's minoxidil, it has higher alcohol concentration and it dries faster. I believe it is the ppg concentration in minoxidil that gives the greasy feeling.

Next time I order minoxidil, I'm planning to get Dr Lee's instead of kirkland. I used a cheap brand minoxidil with high alcohol in it once, and I really liked it.

Carlos..

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys :) I will look into that other minoxidil and get some next time

billynohair

Reaction score
Ive used kirkland minoxidil once per day, but ive only been using it for a month and a half. I find I get an itch sometimes with it. I also get the white flakes in the morning, but i learnt to wach my scalp better to deal with that annoyance. I think I might go with the rogaine foam next when my kirkland runs out. I think if i used it twice a day it would be very messy and very itchy, along with double the ammount of flakes.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
ali777 said:
... Actually, I suggest you try something like Dr Lee's minoxidil, it has higher alcohol concentration and it dries faster. ...quote]

What he said!

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I used to do is put liquid minoxidil on at night and foam on in the morning.

This has two advantages:

1. It's cosmetically very acceptable during the day (the foam dries in seconds)
2. You can hedge your bets as to which one is better, foam or liquid.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
badgenetics said:
Once a day should be fine since topical minoxidil has a half-life of about 22 hours.

Where did you hear THAT, and what does the term "half-life" even MEAN in this context? :)

Carlos..

Reaction score
I am going to use the Dr Lee's Minoxidil next, see how I get on with that :) My head also itches at the moment which is annoying but hopefully and will get my golden locks back soon :p Can only wish

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
badgenetics said:
Once a day should be fine since topical minoxidil has a half-life of about 22 hours.

Where did you hear THAT, and what does the term "half-life" even MEAN in this context? :)

Bryan, your avatar makes me feel like you wear a monocle. I hope you do, I've always wanted to indirectly know someone who wears a monocle.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
Bryan, your avatar makes me feel like you wear a monocle. I hope you do, I've always wanted to indirectly know someone who wears a monocle.

:woot: :jump: :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
Bryan, your avatar makes me feel like you wear a monocle.

Why is that?

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
cause there's a book there and a pair of glasses and I've always associated those two things with people who are more intelligent than myself. Also included in that set of items are monocles. Then I think of Scrooge McDuck and how tough it would be to swim through a room filled with coins, not to mention the sanitary issues.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
cause there's a book there and a pair of glasses and I've always associated those two things with people who are more intelligent than myself. Also included in that set of items are monocles. Then I think of Scrooge McDuck and how tough it would be to swim through a room filled with coins, not to mention the sanitary issues.

I see that lysergic acid is part of your regimen.

Has it regrown you any hair? :woot:

badgenetics

Reaction score
Bryan said:
badgenetics said:

Couldn't find the original site I got that from (which was a legitimate site, or so it seemed). I did find this one in a quick 2-minute google search:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical ... ogaine.php

There it states that topical minoxidil has a half-life of 22 hours. I don't know the legitimacy of that site, so take it with a grain of salt. Half-life is the length of time it takes for the quantity of a substance to be reduced to half its original value.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
badgenetics said:
Half-life is the length of time it takes for the quantity of a substance to be reduced to half its original value.

I know what "half-life" means, I just wanted to know what it means in this specific context! :)

Like were they talking about the half-life in the blood (from systemically absorbed minoxidil), or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil sitting on top of the scalp, or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil INSIDE the skin/scalp, or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil inside the hair follicle, or what, exactly? :)

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I know what "half-life" means, I just wanted to know what it means in this specific context! :)

Like were they talking about the half-life in the blood (from systemically absorbed minoxidil), or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil sitting on top of the scalp, or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil INSIDE the skin/scalp, or did they mean the half-life of minoxidil inside the hair follicle, or what, exactly? :)

"Once a day topical use of Rogaine (topical minoxidil 2% and 5%) seems to be almost as effective as using it twice a day. The reason is, that although minoxidil has a relatively short half-life of several hours when given orally, when topically applied, it has a half-life of 22 hours in the skin."

(bernsteinmedical.com)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
eXVee said:
Bryan said:

"Once a day topical use of Rogaine (topical minoxidil 2% and 5%) seems to be almost as effective as using it twice a day. The reason is, that although minoxidil has a relatively short half-life of several hours when given orally, when topically applied, it has a half-life of 22 hours in the skin."

(bernsteinmedical.com)

so we only really need to use it once a day???????????