minoxidil on the temples (please help)

dek

Reaction score
Hello, I have been on finasteride for about seven months with no results whatsoever yet, no shedding, no slowed loss, no regrowth, nothing. Dont get me wrong, I am not giving up on it yet as I will continue to ride it out until the year is up and maybe longer. What has happened though is that my temples (actually the area that used to come to a point in between the top of my ears and my temples has gotten extremely thin on both sides and it looks really stupid when my sides are anything but shaven really close. Its just a triangle of thin, light hair on both sides of my head and then the hair behind it is perfectly dark and thick still. It looks retarded, I have never seen anyone with this pattern as pronounced as mine is. I was thinking of using minoxidil on those parts and keeping it restricted to those parts. Will this cause a shed in the rest of my head if i only use it on temples? Should I wait until the finasteride is done to add to my regimen even if I am only using it on a certain spot on my head? Thanks for any advice guys.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil diffuses and penetrates the scalp through an area far wider than that of the application. You will therefore suffer a shed which is wider than the area of the application.

minoxidil has been shown to have a qualified effect on a receding hairline, and it is synergistic with finasteride, though I can't come out and make promises about it for you, as you could be a non responder. It is a gamble, as with most treatments. It also commits you to a twice-daily application, and some expense. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it. Don't expect miracles on the combination of the two, however. I've been on dutasteride and minoxidil for nearly a year now, and I have practically the same hairline as when I started.

dek

Reaction score
thanks man, the question for me is that its hard to group this area into the "hairline" because it is significantly below the hairline and in the area that I used to think was a fairly safe zone. I already have a four month supply of rogaine that I bought a long itme ago and decided not to use yet so the price isnt an issue, I just dont want to shed in other places besides those applied until I know for sure that its not caused by finasteride. Anyone else with advice or a similar experience?

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
dek said:
thanks man, the question for me is that its hard to group this area into the "hairline" because it is significantly below the hairline and in the area that I used to think was a fairly safe zone. I already have a four month supply of rogaine that I bought a long itme ago and decided not to use yet so the price isnt an issue, I just dont want to shed in other places besides those applied until I know for sure that its not caused by finasteride. Anyone else with advice or a similar experience?

I've been using minoxidil for since the beginning of december. I had zero shedding and the hair I have has started to thicken slightly. I went from being able to run my hand through my hair and getting 5 or 6 hairs to none now. I've been on finasteride since November 20 as well. I think shedding is a big pharce. Not a fact, just my opinion.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm dek, the opposite has happened for me. Its actually GIVEN me hair in that area that you describe, that I have never had before. It does look retarded when that area is thin or "far back." I always envied people that had cool hair there even more than I envied a great hairline. It's pretty cool that Im getting hair growth in unexpected areas. Im using finasteride and I DO rub minoxidil in that area in both sides of my head. Im extremely happy with the results.