Minoxidil = More Dht = Accelerated Hair Loss

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well..this might have been mentioned before but would that not make sense? DHT is in blood....fact. Minoxidil improves blood circulation by opening/widening blood vessels. More blood = accelerated hair loss.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
thats why we take finasteride and dutasteride with it

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Regular exercise dramatically increase blood circulation thus the healthier we get the greater acceleration of hair loss. I think someone posted another thread speculating on that too.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So rogaine on its own can cause more damage then good?...is this what you say bridgeburn. So it should not be advertised as a hair growth product then.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And it should be mention on the label "DO NOT USE WITHOUT DHT BLOCKER"

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And it should be mention on the label "DO NOT USE WITHOUT DHT BLOCKER"

I was losing hair rapidly until I started using Rogaine, 2 years ago. I now have more hair than when I started using it... not unexpectedly. I don't use any DHT blockers.

Last edited:

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Friend of mine went on rogaine a year ago. In his first month he lost about 20% of his hair. Second and third month his scalp was tingling almost every day....mark months 8-9 he saved all of as he could not style anymore. Continued rogaine up to month 13 then stopped. His hair loss was slow prior minoxidil course all went wrong just after he started using it. Not a myth story just a real one...however he looks better with his head shaved. Lol

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
long term and alone, maybe. look at this chart on this article --> https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/education/rogaine-long-term/
at the 48 week period the 5% minoxidil group is just below the untreated group..

I think minoxidil is a helpful against hairloss cause it counteracts the negative telogen extending effects of male hormones, by reducing TGFB, for example.

but it doesn't stop DHT from changing gene transcription, so eventually the bald will catch up, But a combination works well synergetically

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So looking at the graph every time you go on minoxidil let's say for 2 years you end up worse off then without. So restarting again after two years in around 4th year will leave you with less hair compare to if you would never use it. Very,very encouraging.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you're onto something

Increasing bloodflow without decreasing DHT= bad
Increasing bloodflow and decreasing DHT= good

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right....so you just confirmed all. Rogaine on its own will cause more harm than good therefore they should mentioned it on the label. Poor all those who use minoxidil only.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's what I think the deal is. If you're a young guy (or gal) with fast, aggressive balding, then minoxidil isn't going to be effective on its own for very long. However if you're in your late 30s or 40s and your rate of balding is slower, and you're a good responder, then it can be effective for several years on its own without any DHT blocker, keeping the user at or above baseline. As with every medication it depends upon the specific condition of the patient and his or her response to the drug.

Last edited:

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's what I think the deal is. If you're a young guy (or gal) with fast, aggressive balding, then minoxidil isn't going to be effective on its own for very long. However if you're in your late 30s or 40s and your rate of balding is slower, and you're a good responder, then it can be effective for several years on its own without any DHT blocker, keeping the user at or above baseline. As with every medication it depends upon the specific condition of the patient and his or her response to the drug.

This is true. and perhaps older men who are having a natural decline in male hormones could benefit from minoxidil alone.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yetti....so being 39,5 with thinning crown I should be alright. The reason I say this I was on the foam for two years then stopped for two years. No, massive shedding etc...I got thinner for sure so about to restart but is this a good idea?

lamch

Reaction score
Guys, you see where that black vertical line is on the graph just before the drop? I'm prety sure they stopped medication at that point. It wasnt the rogaine that caused the hairloss. It was stopping rogaine that caused it. People have speculated on this before, and the general consensus is that given enough time you recover to the point that you would have been at without rogaine. Although there is variety in individuals and not everyone experiences the same results.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just speculating here, but maybe you could build tolerance to it and should cycle it or increase the strength.
and maybe try to "outrun" the baldness by increasing from 5% to 10% to 15% etc.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yetti....so being 39,5 with thinning crown I should be alright. The reason I say this I was on the foam for two years then stopped for two years. No, massive shedding etc...I got thinner for sure so about to restart but is this a good idea?

Hard to say if it's really a good idea because it seems like you're kinda... angry at minoxidil based on your posts in this thread until this one :D

But yeah I imagine that if your rate of balding is slow then it could be helpful. Even the article write up with that study says it. But as you yourself said many times, adding a DHT blocker (which I havent done) will surely make it more effective.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your afraid of finasteride, at least add nizoral man. It has some androgen receptor blocking ability.